U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2008, 09:46 AM

20,005 posts, read 68,140,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monumental1 View Post
^After all your tough talk this is what you come up with......... Like I said you don't know how ridiculous you sound. (Thank you for proving my point) You're a clown.
No sense in arguing with a child, Im done here.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:56 AM

2,271 posts, read 4,427,732 times
I don't think most foreigners could recognize more than one, and I'm not even going to go there. Heck, I guess there are about 5 that I could recognize and some of the one's that I can recognize have come about because people post so many pictures of them on C-D, or because I've been there a couple of times.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:02 PM

31,598 posts, read 53,352,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
I don't think most foreigners could recognize more than one, and I'm not even going to go there. Heck, I guess there are about 5 that I could recognize and some of the one's that I can recognize have come about because people post so many pictures of them on C-D, or because I've been there a couple of times.
Well, I've been all over the world and in my experience, people in other countries seem to know a lot about certain American cities.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, I've been all over the world and in my experience, people in other countries seem to know a lot about certain American cities.
They may know a lot about them, but recognizing their skylines is a completely different story. I don't doubt there is greater specific knowledge of certain cities though. However, it needs to be understood that knowledge does not always create recognition.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
They may know a lot about them, but recognizing their skylines is a completely different story.
True.

But when you go to Turkey or Portugal, they tell you they have a bridge that looks just like the Golden Gate Bridge. I was on a street car in Vienna and when the driver forund out I am from SF, he asked me if their street cars are similar to our Cable Cars. And almost everyone in the World I've come across is aware that SF is gay friendly-from South Africa to India to Norway to Guatemala-everyone knows...We gays sure have propelled SF to higher noteriety. LOL

Old 09-16-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
True.

But when you go to Turkey or Portugal, they tell you they have a bridge that looks just like the Golden Gate Bridge. I was on a street car in Vienna and when the driver forund out I am from SF, he asked me if their street cars are similar to our Cable Cars. And almost everyone in the World I've come across is aware that SF is gay friendly-from South Africa to India to Norway to Guatemala-everyone knows...We gays sure have propelled SF to higher noteriety. LOL

Yes, don't worry, SF is one of the cities I was talking about. Though there was a picture on here of SF without the bridge and I was totally lost...so yeah. Sometimes also it depends on what country you're in and what angle you're looking at---SF has stronger ties (culturally and architecturally) with Europe than say Latin America and the greatest iconic landmark for many people is the Golden Gate Bridge (but it varies for different people/cultures).

Old 09-16-2008, 06:25 PM

1,992 posts, read 5,936,639 times
Chicago should be recognized more than it is, you would be surprised at how many people don't what the Sears tower looks like. Most people think the Hancock tower is the Sears tower (IMO the Sears tower is u-g-l-y, the Hancock tower is awesome).

Old 09-16-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Chicago should be recognized more than it is, you would be surprised at how many people don't what the Sears tower looks like. Most people think the Hancock tower is the Sears tower (IMO the Sears tower is u-g-l-y, the Hancock tower is awesome).
I used to make that mistake when I was a kid whenever there I happened to come across an image of the Hancock Tower by itself...Its a gorgeous building.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:30 AM

288 posts, read 1,228,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
No sense in arguing with a child, Im done here.
It never ceases to amaze me how pathetic some people can be! How mature you are Mr. Kiss me arse, boy-o!

Old 09-17-2008, 09:56 AM

4,946 posts, read 8,298,384 times
NY & DC are the most recognizable cities in the US. They have a bunch of iconic structures that people from all over the world can easily identify..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City