U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-17-2008, 02:10 PM

334 posts, read 899,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monumental1 View Post
So Mr. big tuff guy your geographical location somehow makes you tougher than everyone in Seattle, L.A. or the west coast. You are like the internet super thug right? I donít think you know how ridiculous you sound.

Your basis for saying Chicagoís skyline is more recognizable than Seattle or L.A.ís is purely an emotionally driven bias you have. Its simple see the Space Needle Ė thatís Seattle, see the Hollywood sign thatís L.A., see the Golden Gate Bridge Ė thatís San Francisco, see the Statue of Liberty Ė Thatís New York.

See what?????? John Hancock tower? Sears tower? Those buildings are not very popular to most tourist or foreigners. Most people donít know the name of these towers, where they are or what they are. Chicagoís skyline can easily be mistaken for New York but you could never see the Space Needle or the Golden Gate Bridge or The Gateway Arch in St. Louis and think it was another U.S. city.

Chicagoís skyline doesnít get the media attention that Seattle, L.A., San Fran, NY, Vegas or Miami get. The most popular shows on TV right now take place in these cities showing off their skylines to the world, (Greyís Anatomy, CSI Miami, etc.). I like Chicagoís skyline as I do many cities in our great nation, but as far as being the most recognizable it doesnít stack up to Seattle and other U.S. cities with more famous skylines point blank so you west coast haters can get over it now.
ER
Ferris Bulher
The Dark Knight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 02:21 PM

334 posts, read 899,790 times
And your telleing me you don't recognize THIS:

Old 09-17-2008, 02:24 PM

4,388 posts, read 11,075,098 times
Not really. Not the baseball stadium, although i do remember the L, but only because i visited. The Media doesn't really show off Chicago enough for it to be as recognizable as NY or LA, or even SF or Boston

Old 09-17-2008, 02:35 PM

5,827 posts, read 10,994,888 times
I didn't either, myself. Wrigley is iconic, but it's not automatically recognizable like Boston's Green Monster.

I don't know many skylines, though.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:42 PM

5,827 posts, read 10,994,888 times
Obviously I recognize St. Louis' skyline because of the arch and the fact that I've been there numerous times.
I'd probably recognize Seattle due to the Space Needle.
And maybe New York just due to the sheer size of it.
And Detroit. For some reason the GM Center thing always sticks out at me.

I like St. Louis' skyline, but I might be biased. It's not near as big as Chicago's or New York's, but the city isn't either. The arch is probably very recognizable, moreso than any building. St. Louis has a lot of architectural history and variations between Downtown and the different neighborhoods.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:42 PM

394 posts, read 616,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I didn't either, myself. Wrigley is iconic, but it's not automatically recognizable like Boston's Green Monster.

I don't know many skylines, though.
Yea Wrigley is only noticeable if you see the front entrance with the red sign.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:54 PM

87 posts, read 210,501 times
I'm assuming most foreigners have never visited the US, so their knowledge of the skylines are limited by the media.

Top four are definately:

NYC (Statue of Liberty, large buildings)
Washington (Jefferson, Lincoln and Washington Monuments, Capital)
Las Vegas (The Strip)
San Francisco (Golden Gate Bridge, Transamerica Building)

St. Louis (Gateway Arch) and Seattle (Space Needle, mountains) round out my top six, but I'm not certain the average foreigner would recognize those skylines. (Apologies to the good people of St. Louis and Seattle.) It's just that those two cities haven't had that much media coverage., so foreigners haven't really been exposed to the skyline. Maybe Seattle has with "Fraser," but that's all I can think of.

About 20 or 30 years ago, I might have said my hometown of Cincinnati. It's a nice skyline, but nothing out of the ordinary; however it was featured every week on "WKRP in Cincinnati." And before that, it was shown every day at the beginning of the soap opera "Edge of Night."

Of course, the skyline has changed with two new stadiums and the Freedom Center, so it doesn't make my list.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:08 PM

18,533 posts, read 48,389,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Not really. Not the baseball stadium, although i do remember the L, but only because i visited. The Media doesn't really show off Chicago enough for it to be as recognizable as NY or LA, or even SF or Boston
I see far more media coverage of Chicago than Boston or San Fran.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:13 PM

4,388 posts, read 11,075,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I see far more media coverage of Chicago than Boston or San Fran.
And I see More Media Coverage of Frederick (the city near me) than I do of New york I would hope you would hear more about Chicago if you Live there!!

Old 09-17-2008, 07:41 PM

291 posts, read 995,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsGiantsIndiansfan2008 View Post
And your telleing me you don't recognize THIS:

No Actually I donít recognize it and neither do most other people as you can see from their comments let alone a foreigner. Someone could easily think the train picture was New York who doesnít know.

When I was in New York a couple years ago I saw like three different huge build board signs by airlines displaying the Seattle skyline with the Space Needle for trips to Seattle. It shocked me how many people I met in New York that said they either take trips to Seattle or want to while I was in line at a Starbucks in Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City