U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2008, 07:52 PM

980 posts, read 2,904,585 times

Advertisements

To be quite honest I really don't think someone from another country is going to recognize the El train. Maybe the Baseball Field, but even thats a far stretch. Skyline wise Chicago is recognized worldwide, People might complain and be like those buildings aren't "iconic" or "there just office buildings". Were the WTC's not "office buildings", NYC's skyline is not the same without them (good thing Freedom Tower is also so iconic it should really boost NYC).

I actually have a funny idea, why not ask people what skyline they think is most iconic on the World Forum.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:55 PM

1,528 posts, read 5,699,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post

Miami? San Diego? Dallas? C'mon...would you recognize Hamburg, or Perth, or Shenzen? Didn't think so.
yes, yes, and yes...btw it's ShenZHEN
I did this without researching (believe it or not)
Hamburg Germany, Perth Australia, and Shenzhen, PRC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsGiantsIndiansfan2008 View Post
And your telleing me you don't recognize THIS:

no...I don't mean to be rude... people outside of this forum don't go around looking at Chicago's skyline.
Chicago is known but I mean really... the world doesn't revolve around it.
It is a known city, don't get me wrong.
But no...most people wouldn't know what the heck your pictures are.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:22 PM

I really don't think those were the best examples of Chicago, most people do not know what those things are.

They do reckognize these I would hope:

Sears Tower - Released Copyright by DDima of wikicommons

Aon Center - Released by Knowledge Seeker of wikipedia

John Hancock - Attribution ShareAlike 2.5 by User:Cacophony

Old 09-18-2008, 04:31 PM

4,383 posts, read 15,295,805 times
i recognize them easily, but they're just not Iconic enough to be on a level of NYs Empire state building for example. hancock is the most recognizable though because it doesn't just look like any other office tower

Old 09-18-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
i recognize them easily, but they're just not Iconic enough to be on a level of NYs Empire state building for example. hancock is the most recognizable though because it doesn't just look like any other office tower
No way are these buildings any bit as historic as Empire State building. They are still great examples of Chicago landmarks

Old 09-18-2008, 04:37 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,263,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
hancock is the most recognizable though because it doesn't just look like any other office tower
Its mostly residential. Chris Farley died in there, remember?

I would also like to add that in Chicago the Marina City Towers are VERY recognizable, you wont mistake those for anything else in the country.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:41 PM

4,383 posts, read 15,295,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerichoHW View Post
No way are these buildings any bit as historic as Empire State building. They are still great examples of Chicago landmarks
Yea that's true! I can't beleive some people find them ugly!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Its mostly residential. Chris Farley died in there, remember?

I would also like to add that in Chicago the Marina City Towers are VERY recognizable, you wont mistake those for anything else in the country.
Yea I knew it was residential mostly, but he did??

And Yea, Marina city is a classic, I love them. What Would the Chicago river be without them??? i couldn't even imagine! May i also add the Wrigley building and the Tribune tower as iconic beauties??

Old 09-18-2008, 04:45 PM

You gotta love Wrigley Building so much of Chicago's architecture stems from it. And how could I forget Marina City (aka the honeycomb buildings) plus don't forget the New Trump hotel look how far its come <b>Trumpcam: </b>Watch the building of a skyscraper -- chicagotribune.com.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:56 AM

2,318 posts, read 6,991,881 times
I would say it's a stretch to think foreigners would recognize 10 of our skylines. I believe the typical foreigner would recognize...

1) NYC - Global City
2) LA - Global City
3) Chicago - Global City
4) San Francisco... topography+Coit Tower (sp?)+Transamerica
5) Seattle... maybe because of the Space Needle

Old 09-19-2008, 11:28 AM

7,936 posts, read 13,832,826 times
What about Pittsburgh? I would think that most Americans know Pittsburgh's skyline at the convergence of the three rivers....

I would think Philadelphia is on that list as well....definitely ahead of Boston, Miami, Los Angeles. I know Los Angeles is a city known around the world, but there's nothing really unique about its skyline.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.