U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2009, 01:13 PM

886 posts, read 1,924,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
You mean other than the hundreds of thousands of them who live here, right? Perhaps.

LOL

living there is different then visiting..... of course if you live somewhere it's gonna have recognition.... the topic is talking about tourist and foreigners, not residents...

Old 09-17-2009, 01:15 PM

672 posts, read 1,550,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston14 View Post
Heres a new list with thought

New York
San Francisco
Seattle
LA
Chicago
Miami
Las Vegas
Washington D.C.
Philadelphia
Boston

Much better.

At least you had the good sense to leave off St. Louis. I don't think anyone really knows about the Arch outside of the US.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:21 PM

1,855 posts, read 4,290,151 times
There's a difference between recognizability and identifiability. People might recognize a skyline but it's a whole new matter for them to be able to identify what city it is.

This is a list of the most recognizable skylines assuming that EVERY recognizable feature of the skyline is present in the view the foreigner is seeing (Golden Gate Bridge, Hollywood sign, Space Needle, Statue of Liberty, etc):

1. New York
2. Las Vegas Strip
3. Los Angeles
4. Chicago
5. San Francisco
6. Miami
7. Seattle
8. St. Louis

I left off D.C. because I don't think it really has a skyline to speak of, although the city itself is very recognizable.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:21 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,192,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
Much better.

At least you had the good sense to leave off St. Louis. I don't think anyone really knows about the Arch outside of the US.
Thanks the other list was with no thought

Old 09-17-2009, 01:32 PM

4,467 posts, read 8,441,433 times
NYC
Chicago
Philly
Boston
LA
Sacramento
Atlantic city
Seattle
DC
Miami

Old 09-17-2009, 01:35 PM

14,419 posts, read 26,246,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
LOL

living there is different then visiting..... of course if you live somewhere it's gonna have recognition.... the topic is talking about tourist and foreigners, not residents...
Fair enough. However, some of the foreigners do go back to where they came from, and people may visit them.

Houston IMO would belong near the bottom of the list, but still be noteworthy. I can't see how, say, Dallas or Atlanta would be more distinctive.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:38 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,425,564 times
Do you people actually really think the average person could recognize/identify more than 3 or 4 skylines, if that? Maybe it's easy to forget that this forum attracts people that are into cities, skylines, density, urbanity, etc.. A LOT MORE than the average person.

Back in a college one of my professors began class showing different skylines and asked what city they were. The only ones people's recognized were SF, Seattle and Chicago and 1/2 the class was urban panning students. I don't think SF or NYC were shown though. I was the only one to actually guess them all correct, nobody knew Houston, Miami, Philly, or Boston, etc.. I remember I was looking at a pic of LA with the snow capped mountains in the background and two of my friends asked me if it was Denver.
Most people could give a crap about skylines let alone actually identify what city it belongs to.

I think some people forget that the general public does NOT view cities, skylines, etc.. the same way the majority of the people on here do. This site attracts certain types of people.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:41 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,687,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Do you people actually really think the average person could recognize/identify more than 3 or 4 skylines, if that? Maybe it's easy to forget that this forum attracts people that are into cities, skylines, density, urbanity, etc.. A LOT MORE than the average person.

Back in a college one of my professors began class showing different skylines and asked what city they were. The only ones people's recognized were SF, Seattle and Chicago and 1/2 the class was urban panning students. I don't think SF or NYC were shown though. I was the only one to actually guess them all correct, nobody knew Houston, Miami, Philly, or Boston, etc.. I remember I was looking at a pic of LA with the snow capped mountains in the background and two of my friends asked me if it was Denver.
Most people could give a crap about skylines let alone actually identify what city it belongs to.

I think some people forget that the general public does NOT view cities, skylines, etc.. the same way the majority of the people on here do. This site attracts certain types of people.
Agreed. People on here need to think more realistic and quit only thinking about what they are familiar with.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:42 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,192,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
NYC
Chicago
Philly
Boston
LA
Sacramento
Atlantic city
Seattle
DC
Miami
Cool putting Boston on that list

Old 09-17-2009, 01:50 PM

672 posts, read 1,550,552 times
Chicago may have one of the greatest skylines in the world, but I would bet a foreigner would have a very hard time identifying it if shown a random picture.

This only goes to show how few American cities would be recognized. NYC,SF,Vegas,LA, and DC possibly. Chicago and Seattle are only maybes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City