U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2008, 01:14 AM

304 posts, read 827,553 times

Advertisements

dont flatter yourself Mario....people in california dont give a eff about the "northeast"...its not even on our level seriously

your such a joker to think 37 million in this state would be concerned with your little dirty cities

you dont get it... we run america

Old 09-15-2008, 02:55 AM

263 posts, read 731,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
So just because western cities are lame to walk around that means

"Seriously, I hate the west coast. I dont know why, I just do. NYC is where its at. Everything runs through us. LA is nothing but a s**t stain. NOBODY cares about it. I like Chicago and really thats as far west as I validate a city. Everything west of the Chi is mountains, plains, ranches, desserts, etc"
Everything runs through it? Like diarrhea? So, you love it so much you ran kicking and screaming to New Zealand? Everything east of 'Chi' is swampy and flat and full of rust. The 'etc' part after your rather attractive list of western topography and geography is called California. I wouldn't say that California runs the country, but it's true that ".. as California goes, so goes the nation." New York has the most recognizable skyline. The sign on Mt. Lee is still the most recognizable icon in the world though...

Old 09-15-2008, 03:39 AM

2,818 posts, read 5,807,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilpainter View Post
Everything runs through it? Like diarrhea? So, you love it so much you ran kicking and screaming to New Zealand? Everything east of 'Chi' is swampy and flat and full of rust. The 'etc' part after your rather attractive list of western topography and geography is called California. I wouldn't say that California runs the country, but it's true that ".. as California goes, so goes the nation." New York has the most recognizable skyline. The sign on Mt. Lee is still the most recognizable icon in the world though...
I didn't write that original quote, sorry I should have made that clear.

Last edited by mattyj46; 09-15-2008 at 03:40 AM.. Reason: me failing.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:32 AM

456 posts, read 1,437,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
i really don't think san Diego, Houston, Dallas, or Minneapolis could be named by a foreigner . i think NY, Chicago, and possibly SF and Philly could be named much easier by skyline
I totally agree..

As for me-

Chicago
NYC
SF
Las Vegas
Seattle
St. Louis

Can't really think of any other cities.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:49 AM

14,330 posts, read 19,496,696 times
New York
Chicago
LA
San Francisco
Washington, DC
Pittsburgh
Seattle
St. Louis

Old 09-15-2008, 10:07 AM

980 posts, read 2,905,053 times
Im a little late but here is my list:

1. NYC (tied with Chicago)
1. Chicago (tied with nyc)
2. San Francisco
3. Seattle
4. St. Louis
5. Miami

Here is my logical explanation, for my choices. NYC has very notable landmarks most tourists/foreigners have seen or heard about. Like the Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty etc. it is a very dense skyline with 2 areas of hi-rise buildings. I tied with Chicago, due to the fact Chicago has a very tall skyline with notable supertall buildings like the Sears Tower, Aon Center, John Hancock building etc. along with foreign real estate being high in the city.

San Francisco is easily identifiable by its hills, and many culturally significant landmarks. Seattle has the Sky Needle and Mt. Rainer. St. Louis has the arch and Miami is a popular tourist destination.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:18 AM

11,154 posts, read 22,296,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Is this not recognizable?
But we're talking about foreigners, right? They won't know St. Louis, although obviously Americans will.

There are plenty of great skylines here, but honestly to most people who live across the ocean, they know the United States and a handfull of its cities, but they honestly don't care that much to study up and recognize specific things we deem important because we live here.

From people I've randomly chatted with in Europe, they seem to know quite a bit about:

New York
San Fran
Washington DC

Those are the big 3 that people see enough on TV that they'd recognize.

Vegas
Seattle
Chicago

These would probably be correctly identified by many as well. While we know Vegas a great deal, the average person in Germany just knows its some town with gambling, glitz and prostitutes, but it's not going to really be a huge deal because it's not somewhere most of them have been or will go. Seattle because of the space needle and the mountains, and Chicago because the view from the lake and the size of the skyline tend to set it apart.

That's not to say people don't obviously hear a lot about LA or Miami, but they might not be able to pick out the skyline. For most people watching movies or reality shows set in LA, the skyline is not a major star, the rich people and palm trees are.

If I show pictures from the above of Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo, Frankfurt, Madrid, Zurich, Warsaw, Copenhagen and Brussels, which ones would you just know immediately if you haven't been there?

You'd know London because of St. Pauls, Rome with the collisium, Paris with the Eiffel Tower....large world cities with some universal symbol. Like New York with Empire State/Statue of Liberty, DC with the Capital and San Fran with the Golden Gate Bridge and hills.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:02 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,277,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monumental1 View Post
Pull down your skirt and tone down your internet courage
No need for "internet courage" when dealing with a Seattlite.

Fact of the matter is that Chicago's skyline is very recognizeable, more so than L.A's or Seattle's.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:06 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,277,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Los Angeles and Chicago's skylines are known because...?
Chicago's skyline is always rated #1 or #2 by architects and worldwide tourist polls. We dont need an uneducated (when it comes to skylines) individual like yourself to Google what Chicago's skyline looks like and how unimportant or uknown it is to YOU, because we all know how special it is, and most would agree. So please, go back to your internet studies and rejoin this discussion when youve done a little research. Maybe then youd find that landmarks like the Sears Tower, John Hancock, Lake Michigan, Navy Pier, etc, make Chicago's skyline EASILY recognizeable.

Good Heavens.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:19 PM

1,992 posts, read 6,023,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Why? I love SF, but the other western cities are lame to walk around.
Why is there this perception that outside of the bay area, every west coast city is a sunbelt style sprawler? It's entirely untrue. Seattle, Portland, and to a somewhat lesser extent San Diego have very urban cores. Seattle in particular has a vibrant, active downtown, probably 2nd to San Francisco for the entire western U.S. Obviously it doesn't stack up to Manhattan (nowhere does), but you don't give the west coast as much credit as it deserves. Can we stop with this childish Guido vs. Angeleno stuff?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City