U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 09-15-2008, 01:22 PM
 
1,992 posts, read 4,543,212 times
Reputation: 756

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
No need for "internet courage" when dealing with a Seattlite.

Fact of the matter is that Chicago's skyline is very recognizeable, more so than L.A's or Seattle's.
What's your beef with Seattle? Every other post from you is belittling, insulting, stereotyping towards Seattle and the people that live here. The simple fact is that media exposure helps cities like Seattle and Los Angeles immensely, because their skylines are frequently displayed and broadcast to the world. There is no doubt that Chicago has one of the best skylines in the world, with many iconic structures, but it is under-represented in popular media. To the urban cognoscenti, it is instantly recognizable, but many people internationally would mistake it for New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-15-2008, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Scarsdale, NY
2,775 posts, read 8,610,955 times
Reputation: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
So just because western cities are lame to walk around that means

"Seriously, I hate the west coast. I dont know why, I just do. NYC is where its at. Everything runs through us. LA is nothing but a s**t stain. NOBODY cares about it. I like Chicago and really thats as far west as I validate a city. Everything west of the Chi is mountains, plains, ranches, desserts, etc"
I didn't type that. You got the wrong guy, pal. Maybe you're the guy who needs to grow up because now I know for a fact that you just want to get everybody on my *** because you know I'm the one who will beat you at your own game on here.

Why do I say this? Because this is my proof. You just proved it yourself by implying that I typed that italicized paragraph you copied and pasted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2008, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Scarsdale, NY
2,775 posts, read 8,610,955 times
Reputation: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
What's your beef with Seattle? Every other post from you is belittling, insulting, stereotyping towards Seattle and the people that live here. The simple fact is that media exposure helps cities like Seattle and Los Angeles immensely, because their skylines are frequently displayed and broadcast to the world.
Perhaps I went a little off target in this thread as I ventured away from skylines and towards which city's more important. But yes, I will say Seattle's recognized by the world... Only because of the Needle. And LA, no matter how much you may think it is, is not one of the most recognizable skylines. It could easily be mistaken for Miami, Houston, or Dallas by a foreigner because, believe it or not, American shows are not aired as much overseas as they are in America. France has their own movies, England their own, Italy there own, Japan their own, Russia their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2008, 01:51 PM
 
1,992 posts, read 4,543,212 times
Reputation: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Perhaps I went a little off target in this thread as I ventured away from skylines and towards which city's more important. But yes, I will say Seattle's recognized by the world... Only because of the Needle. And LA, no matter how much you may think it is, is not one of the most recognizable skylines. It could easily be mistaken for Miami, Houston, or Dallas by a foreigner because, believe it or not, American shows are not aired as much overseas as they are in America. France has their own movies, England their own, Italy there own, Japan their own, Russia their own.
American television shows are syndicated to inifinity in foreign markets, often many years after they have been taken off the air here. You would be surprised at how ubiquitous American media is in foreign markets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2008, 01:54 PM
 
1,992 posts, read 4,543,212 times
Reputation: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Perhaps I went a little off target in this thread as I ventured away from skylines and towards which city's more important. But yes, I will say Seattle's recognized by the world... Only because of the Needle. And LA, no matter how much you may think it is, is not one of the most recognizable skylines. It could easily be mistaken for Miami, Houston, or Dallas by a foreigner because, believe it or not, American shows are not aired as much overseas as they are in America. France has their own movies, England their own, Italy there own, Japan their own, Russia their own.
I think the point a lot of people including you are missing is that the reason 95% of skylines are notable and recognizable to the average person on the street is because they contain one, maybe two iconic structures. New York has several, most other cities have one. When you say "take away that building and no one would know what is", that's true for almost every well known skyline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2008, 02:04 PM
 
Location: moving again
4,386 posts, read 11,648,280 times
Reputation: 1496
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
dont flatter yourself Mario....people in california dont give a eff about the "northeast"...its not even on our level seriously


your such a joker to think 37 million in this state would be concerned with your little dirty cities

you dont get it... we run america
wow.

As well as this whole thread, wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2008, 02:06 PM
 
9,176 posts, read 13,683,041 times
Reputation: 7416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
wow.

As well as this whole thread, wow.

Haha, you've met our resident 7 year old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2008, 02:07 PM
 
Location: North Central Indiana
954 posts, read 2,248,923 times
Reputation: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
dont flatter yourself Mario....people in california dont give a eff about the "northeast"...its not even on our level seriously


your such a joker to think 37 million in this state would be concerned with your little dirty cities

you dont get it... we run america
Wow, thats harsh stuff. Tone it down a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2008, 02:08 PM
 
9,176 posts, read 13,683,041 times
Reputation: 7416
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
I think the point a lot of people including you are missing is that the reason 95% of skylines are notable and recognizable to the average person on the street is because they contain one, maybe two iconic structures. New York has several, most other cities have one. When you say "take away that building and no one would know what is", that's true for almost every well known skyline.
BINGO.....like i said earlier
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2008, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Scarsdale, NY
2,775 posts, read 8,610,955 times
Reputation: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
American television shows are syndicated to inifinity in foreign markets, often many years after they have been taken off the air here. You would be surprised at how ubiquitous American media is in foreign markets.
I've lived in London... So seriously... No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:42 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top