Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2008, 11:48 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,742,903 times

Advertisements

What a lame statement !

Yeah...right. No one knows how Chicago looks like and it's still the world's 5th most economically powerful city after London, NYC, Tokyo & Hong Kong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
No one knows how Chicago looks like...outside of the US and a few people who actually do research.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:30 AM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,953 times
humph...ok then...
Cause I've traveled in China, Japan, Philippines, and Mexico and people sure just have that Chicago skyline memorized...
I'll shut up, some of you are so ignorant...
but...Ignorance is bliss...

Old 09-20-2008, 12:48 AM

904 posts, read 2,873,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
I believe the study takes into account how nice of a place a city is. A city might be very well known throughout the world, but if people know it for a negative reason like high crime, it won't be ranked as high as a city like Sydney which may be not as famous, but scored very well in perception of the city. Essentially it just isn't about "how many people know the city" but also how positive their opinions are of it. Hence a city with good global standing and is in good favor/perception around the world would have a higher "brand index" than a well known city that has less positive perceptions of it.

Ah, OK - guess people just really like Australia.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:01 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
Dem houstoners fixin to get mad cause New Orleans is on the list and they ain't...

and lastly... NO...
I already said this... People don't go around wondering what the sear tower looks like, most people probably don't even know what it is.
Chicago is nice... BUT ITS NOT ALL THAT.
I'm not trying to bash it, I seriously am not... but to say "most people should know what the sears tower looks like/is"
sounds really arrogant considering how most of us don't know anything about anything.
People who care about this sort of crap, come here so the population here on the forum is biased.
No one knows how Chicago looks like...outside of the US and a few people who actually do research.

Exactly, people don't know what the Sears Tower is cause most of people don't know anything about anything. No one knows how Chicago looks like.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:25 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,769 times
IMO, St. Louis's skyline is more recognizable than Chicago just because of that arch.

There are so many skylines that look similar just because they're on the water.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:10 PM

990 posts, read 3,186,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
IMO, St. Louis's skyline is more recognizable than Chicago just because of that arch.

There are so many skylines that look similar just because they're on the water.
I disagree, all St. Louis has is the arch in terms of major skyline icons. Chicago has much, much more.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:16 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
Which is more recognizable? The Sears Tower or the Arch? I would guess the Arch. It's not really a building, more a monument. Still, I agree that St. Louis skyline is one of the most recognizable. It's certainly not as big as New York's, Los Angeles, or Chicago, but the arch is hard to forget once you've seen it.

If you see the St. Louis skyline, you pretty well know it's St. Louis because the arch is right there. If you see a part of LA's skyline, or Chicago's, and you're not incredibly familiar with it, you probably won't recognize it.

Seattle is very recognizable as well, because of the Needle.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:17 AM

2,819 posts, read 6,454,725 times
Regardless of everything I don't think we're going to get a definitive answer on this one.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:08 AM

263 posts, read 798,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
What a lame statement !

Yeah...right. No one knows how Chicago looks like and it's still the world's 5th most economically powerful city after London, NYC, Tokyo & Hong Kong.

"Los Angeles is on course to become the world's third city with a trillion dollar economy. According to UBS estimates, the average resident of L.A. has 20% more purchasing power than their counterparts in New York." Forbes 2008 ...sorry guys

Old 09-21-2008, 08:33 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
What a lame statement !

A lot of people don't know what Chicago looks like. My dad works with some Asian factories and hosted someone from China as a visitor to Chicago. Being that the business at hand was in the northwest Indiana factories, he took him around to the Indiana Dunes after dinner for the sunset. The Chinese guy exclaimed "nobody told me about this, we always hear about New York and Los Angeles, but nobody told me about this city", my dad joked that he almost sounded angry, like we were hiding something from him. My dad has kept in touch with this guy, who apparently has told his friends back in China to come for a visit.

So in a sense I do agree that Chicago is America's hidden city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City