Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 05:29 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,370,923 times

Advertisements

Hi Mlogan. Chicago is a great city with tons to do. A festival for everything, walkable neighborhoods, the lake, good food, and on and on. For neighborhoods, you may want to consider Beverly, which is on the Southside in addition to Hyde Park/Kenwood. If you are going public schools, in Hyde Park - Ray school, in Beverly - Sutherland or Clissold. Check them out on the school search websites.

The main "problem" so to speak about Chicago is the schools. You can read about the schools ad nauseum on this site. You may want to "put your child into a magnet school" as someone suggested, but it doesn't work that way. It's a whole process to get into the top schools.

I speak as someone who lives in an Atlanta suburb now, but is from Chicago originally. I also lived in Arizona. Much success to you and your daughter.

Also, if your child has special educational needs of ANY kind. I would not choose CPS - Chicago Public Schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 08:55 PM

230 posts, read 689,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Hi Mlogan. Chicago is a great city with tons to do. A festival for everything, walkable neighborhoods, the lake, good food, and on and on. For neighborhoods, you may want to consider Beverly, which is on the Southside in addition to Hyde Park/Kenwood. If you are going public schools, in Hyde Park - Ray school, in Beverly - Sutherland or Clissold. Check them out on the school search websites.

The main "problem" so to speak about Chicago is the schools. You can read about the schools ad nauseum on this site. You may want to "put your child into a magnet school" as someone suggested, but it doesn't work that way. It's a whole process to get into the top schools.

I speak as someone who lives in an Atlanta suburb now, but is from Chicago originally. I also lived in Arizona. Much success to you and your daughter.

Also, if your child has special educational needs of ANY kind. I would not choose CPS - Chicago Public Schools.
Thanks Oldhousegirl! I have heard that about the CPS, but you are the first to give me some additional school names in the areas of the southside. Thank you for that, I will look into those. Also, fortunately she does not require any special needs, so at least I can eleviate that from being a problem for me. I am very interested in getting her into one of the accelerated reading programs, something she enjoys here in her school in DE.

Thanks Again!! I am so excited. I was in Chicago this past Thursday and Friday and absolutely loved it! Can't wait to move.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:08 PM

40 posts, read 66,391 times
This is an excellent post and very relevant because I just got home from Atlanta area. I like the weather and the homes there but I dont like the way the city is built. There are too many counties then there are small cities with in the counties which makes it hard to get use to and it can be a chore to find things to do. The downtown was not so impressive to me. It seems it a challenge finding jobs, more of a challenge then other places at this point in time. I am not saying my current city of Milwaukee is better but I do like Chicago over Atlanta at this point. Chicago is in Cook County then all the suburbs are with in the area and it all depends on the side of town you want to live. Atlanta has Dekalb, Cobb, Fulton, Clayton, Gwinette, and so on. Then you have to break it down if you are living in Stone Mountain Tucker or some other place which is in the same county. Everything is identified by the county opposed to the city. Then the profiling I experienced was pretty harsh as a visitor. It also seems that the people there accept it or are use to it as if this is right or the norm. People have seem to be ok with stereo types for tinted windows as the person must be a "drug dealer" That is sad, because you have, want, or desire something does not earn you the right to be stereo typed. I guess being North has excluded me from some of those things. I do understand there are racial issues and class issue everywhere, even here where I am but I would like to think as a national we have made strides to eliminate some things. Or at least over come some of those things. I know that having a black president wasnt going to solve those issues either.
Although we cant control those remarks and we know they are being said, does not mean people should accept the treatment or act as if its ok.

It kind of hurt my feelings in a physiological way because people were programed to think its acceptable treatment and have become accustomed to being profiled harassed humiliated embarrassed and trained how to act. You can be yourself and not cause trouble but people have to act a certain way and do certain things to stay clear of people.

My experience... I would like to reactive this discussion because I am curious on the comparison between the two places. Lets say we do remove the racial issues and climate difference; which city would one have a better change of advancing, living a better quality of life (bills expenses advances home travel) and fair better as well as resources professional and natural (We know Chicago has hard water in some suburbs which is hard on your skin and the Georgia area has drought issues ?

Old 04-11-2010, 04:52 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
No offense to anyone from Atlanta, but Chicago by a mile.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:02 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,691,596 times
I've lived in both Lincoln Park/Lakeview, Chicago and Midtown, Atlanta.
There really is no comparison, Chicago hands down!!!!
I wouldn't move back to Chicago because the winters are just too much for me however if my other option was Atlanta, I would rather move Chicago. Living in Atlanta never felt special, it felt like living in one of those modern mix use suburbs with skyscrapers, strip malls, and single family homes with large front and backyards all bunched up together.

Go with Chicago and if you need some warmth during the winter take a quick trip down to Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City