U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 02:00 PM

230 posts, read 443,098 times
Default Atlanta or chicago

Wanted to know if anyone on here is originally from Atlanta and what there view of Atlanta is versus Chicago?

I am wondering if Atlanta is less racist, since there a lot of African-Americans in the area?

What the schools are like compared to Chicago's?

And if you still live in Chicago, which one do you like better?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 02:05 PM

78 posts, read 154,216 times
I live in the suburbs of Atlanta now and am moving to Chicago next summer. I can't tell you how excited I am to get out of here. I don't like the city of Atlanta too much either. I love to go into Buckhead during the week for lunch and shopping but other than that, unless it's a specific event, I don't hang out there like I thought I would. It's overrun, imo with thugs and I can't stand it. Even shopping on the weekends at Phipps and Lenox is a chore, just young thugs and loud teens everywhere and before anyone accuses me of being racist I'm black and I still don't like it.

I haven't run into any racism here at all, even in the suburbs. Coming from CA I miss seeing more ethnicities to be honest.

Schools in the suburbs are astounding, I have friends that live ITP (in the perimeter) of Atlanta and all of their kids go to private schools.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:21 PM

15,589 posts, read 11,766,876 times
Yeah Chicago is filled with racists. Do not move here.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:28 PM

Avenger,
That was a joke right in regard to the racism? LOL!!

Old 09-14-2008, 02:29 PM

What about the public schools of Atlanta? So, at this point, you would choose Chicago over ATL?

Old 09-14-2008, 02:30 PM

3,109 posts, read 4,654,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotyan View Post
I live in the suburbs of Atlanta now and am moving to Chicago next summer. I can't tell you how excited I am to get out of here. I don't like the city of Atlanta too much either. I love to go into Buckhead during the week for lunch and shopping but other than that, unless it's a specific event, I don't hang out there like I thought I would. It's overrun, imo with thugs and I can't stand it. Even shopping on the weekends at Phipps and Lenox is a chore, just young thugs and loud teens everywhere and before anyone accuses me of being racist I'm black and I still don't like it.

I haven't run into any racism here at all, even in the suburbs. Coming from CA I miss seeing more ethnicities to be honest.

Schools in the suburbs are astounding, I have friends that live ITP (in the perimeter) of Atlanta and all of their kids go to private schools.
I think you will like Chicago better. Chicago is more ethnic diverse than Atlanta. Alot of people are shock when they find out that Chicago have a large Mexican and Puerto Rican population. In matter of fact, They are celebrating Mexican Independence day today in Chicago on 26th St. Chicago have the Puerto Rican Parade downtown every summer and Chicago also have a Chinatown(Southside), Koreatown(Northside), Greektown(near westside), and a Little India on the northside.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:45 PM

Oh, wow, sounds like they have a lot of culture. Very excited about making the move to Chicago!! A Commissioner I work with keeps trying to urge me to reconsider and move to ATL, but don't have a real interest or desire to go there and just wanted some feeback from other members on the board.

Thanks again.

Chicago Here I Come!! LOL!!

Old 09-14-2008, 03:12 PM

8,525 posts, read 7,494,968 times
Well I say this, blacks do discriminate against eachother. I don't think blacks can be "racist"( one of the most overused/misunderstood words) against eachother but we are into classim just like anyone else in this country.

USA is becoming a country that is divided by class( income,education,assets) more so than race. It's going to be 2 groups of people in this country: The haves and the have nots.

I would focus on moving to the area that is going to be the most beneficial to you in terms of quality of life- economic advancement, career advancement, reasonably priced homes,(according to what reasonable is to YOU) etc.

I understand the issue of race and how it plays apart in your choice but I would seriously put that on the back burner and focus on things that you can control. Racism is something you cannot control.

Which is less "racist" that's a tough question to answer............

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlogan0301 View Post
Wanted to know if anyone on here is originally from Atlanta and what there view of Atlanta is versus Chicago?

I am wondering if Atlanta is less racist, since there a lot of African-Americans in the area?

What the schools are like compared to Chicago's?

And if you still live in Chicago, which one do you like better?

Thanks

Old 09-14-2008, 03:19 PM

Thanks ChicagoRon,
I will take your advice and put that on the backburner, just trying to get a feel for both cities. I will say this education for my daughter is very important to me, as well as, the ability to advance in my career, which is in Criminal Justice. So, so far Chicago appears for me, to be the better fit.

Plus, I like well-rounded seasons and nothing against ATL, because I have never even visited there, but I do here it is quite humid and hot year-round than of course the Windy-City.

Old 09-14-2008, 03:21 PM

3,109 posts, read 4,654,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlogan0301 View Post
Oh, wow, sounds like they have a lot of culture. Very excited about making the move to Chicago!! A Commissioner I work with keeps trying to urge me to reconsider and move to ATL, but don't have a real interest or desire to go there and just wanted some feeback from other members on the board.

Thanks again.

Chicago Here I Come!! LOL!!
Before you move to Chicago, please consider that just like LA; Chicago have a gang problem(mainly in the Latino and Black neighborhoods) and I advise you not to move in the wrong neighborhood and suburbs. And since you have a kid, don't put him in a Chicago public school(unless its in a nice neighborhood) and put him in a magnet or private school. But other than that, you should be fine in Chicago. I know alot of people goin to advise you to move to the Northside and avoid the southside, but the Southside do have some good neighborhoods and is not all ghetto. People forget that the Southside is the size and population of the whole Philadelphia and there is neighborhoods that are nice, like Hyde Park, Kenwood, and Beverly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City