U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 01:11 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,241,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
LOL wow you are a champ at putting words in my mouth..
What are you trying to argue anyways? SF is iconic and recognized worldwide Asia to Europe does that mean every one in every country around the globe could recognize it? no not by a loooong shot and did I say Europeans study it in history class? can't say that I did but next time you go to SF walk around Union Square and try and count the languages you hear and then try talking to them and ask them where there from and why they are there... And this thread is about why southern skylines aren't recognizable and I said because there not Iconic(some are more then others Dallas Atl and somewhat Miami)..that is all you don't need to be like SF at all just get some world renowned Icons and you'll solve whatever identity crisis the cities are having. You could get a building that says F*** San Francisco for all I care but if that brings the attention you are looking for then so be it..just know this isn't about me thinking SF is some world mecca for travelers and the south is not even on the radar because that is not the case I happen to love a lot of southern cities mainly ATL and MIA I was just adding my opinions sorry you cannot accept that.

Your words, implying that Americans don't pay attention in history class, but that Europeans do pay attention and therefore learn about San Francisco. Yes, your wording is confusing at best, but that is the conclusion one would draw from the statement below:

"SF is the 2nd most recognizable city in the US maybe not to other Americans (not paying attention in history class,so on,so forth) but the rest of the world is what matters."

Guess what? There are places one can go in southern cities and hear different languages as well...your references to world culture and other superiority examples aren't impressive.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:20 PM

948 posts, read 3,410,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
I can't picture what any Southern city's skyline looks like. It seems to not get the attention the Eastern, Midwestern and West Coast cities get.

That' s fine, not everybody is good at stuff like that.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:21 PM

731 posts, read 1,818,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Get over what? It's a discussion...sorry if you want your statements to be the END of the discussion, but they deserve some rebuttal. You aren't the authority on skylines, my friend. There is room for opinion on this subject, and we all have one - not JUST you. IT'S CALLED A DISCUSSION.

You stated that southern cities need to build some iconic and/or recognizable structures. I showed you some photos of southern skylines WITH those structures. Don't make those kinds of statements if you don't want various responses to them.

I answered the question as well - they aren't unrecognizable, not any moreso than any other skyline. The discussion continues.
I'd agree except for the Georgia Dome. From above, it could be any domed stadium, almost.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:51 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,241,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
I'd agree except for the Georgia Dome. From above, it could be any domed stadium, almost.
That may be true if one isn't familiar with NFL stadiums and/or not a football fan. Otherwise, the Georgia Dome is the largest cable-supported dome in the world, and it has a pretty unique design on its roof:

atlanta vertical on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/brerwolfe/3176035010/ - broken link)

Old 03-23-2009, 06:14 PM

908 posts, read 1,811,314 times
The South is a lot like modern China. Lots of consumption and development, loaded with faux pride and insular arrogance, with little regard to sustainability, past history and aesthetics. Just like China, the skyscrapers in the South are mostly for show (the whole area is dead at night), appear to be designed by the same architectural firm and show complete disregard to local architectural and aesthetic traditions.

Here is a picture of Guangzhou, China, one of the most culturally vapid and superficial places on Earth (perhaps tied with Houston):

And another one of Guangzhou:

And another Chinese "boomtown" Shenzhen:

Last edited by Guineas; 03-23-2009 at 06:56 PM..

Old 03-23-2009, 06:16 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,754,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
The South is a lot like modern China. Lots of consumption and development, with a dash of insular arrogance and little regard to sustainability, past history and aesthetics. Just like China, the skyscrapers in the South are mostly for show (the whole area is dead at night), appear to be designed by the same architectural firm and show complete disregard to local architectural and aesthetic traditions.
Good post...

Old 03-24-2009, 03:45 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,589,940 times
Awesome post.

Part of the health of a downtown includes the shops on the street level and the nightlife, etc.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:30 AM

1,694 posts, read 5,068,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Your words, implying that Americans don't pay attention in history class, but that Europeans do pay attention and therefore learn about San Francisco. Yes, your wording is confusing at best, but that is the conclusion one would draw from the statement below:

"SF is the 2nd most recognizable city in the US maybe not to other Americans (not paying attention in history class,so on,so forth) but the rest of the world is what matters."

Guess what? There are places one can go in southern cities and hear different languages as well...your references to world culture and other superiority examples aren't impressive.
Lol since 90% of what I said went completely over you're head and there is no sense arguing with you I'll say..YOU WIN! Southern cities are inherently recognizable to the rest of the country and world!..oh happy day!

Old 03-24-2009, 02:29 PM

1,592 posts, read 2,957,347 times
The only truly "recognizable" skylines in the US are New York and Seattle. San Fran if they show the bridge, St Louis if you're an American, and maybe Miami if you watch a lot of TV.

You're kidding yourself if you think the average person could look at a picture and recognize, say, Charlotte.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:05 PM

908 posts, read 1,811,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
The only truly "recognizable" skylines in the US are New York and Seattle. San Fran if they show the bridge, St Louis if you're an American, and maybe Miami if you watch a lot of TV.

You're kidding yourself if you think the average person could look at a picture and recognize, say, Charlotte.
Chicago's is pretty recognizable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City