Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 03:13 PM

734 posts, read 2,052,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
That may be true if one isn't familiar with NFL stadiums and/or not a football fan. Otherwise, the Georgia Dome is the largest cable-supported dome in the world, and it has a pretty unique design on its roof:

atlanta vertical on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/brerwolfe/3176035010/ - broken link)
Yeah, not really. There's a little symbol on top. Okay. That's not really making a difference. the AT&T Building in Nashville looks like Batman, but that doesn't make it recognizable to most people. Every dome is going to have subtle differences, yes, and the Georgia Dome's isn't any different. But the differences are not large enough to make it something special.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:54 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
Lol since 90% of what I said went completely over you're head and there is no sense arguing with you I'll say..YOU WIN! Southern cities are inherently recognizable to the rest of the country and world!..oh happy day!
And the same goes for you, my friend...nothing you said went over my head - not even a little bit - so please don't condescend to me.

If you'll look back at my statements, I stated that NO cities are inherently recognizable with the exception of maybe 2 or 3...UNLESS the skylines include a famous landmark. Period.

So you're still wrong, sorry.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
The only truly "recognizable" skylines in the US are New York and Seattle. San Fran if they show the bridge, St Louis if you're an American, and maybe Miami if you watch a lot of TV.

You're kidding yourself if you think the average person could look at a picture and recognize, say, Charlotte.
Who said anything about Charlotte? Those are your words, and no one else's.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
Yeah, not really. There's a little symbol on top. Okay. That's not really making a difference. the AT&T Building in Nashville looks like Batman, but that doesn't make it recognizable to most people. Every dome is going to have subtle differences, yes, and the Georgia Dome's isn't any different. But the differences are not large enough to make it something special.
So you actually can't distinguish the Georgia Dome roof from these other domes? It's more than a subtle difference...it's the only one with much of a roof design, and the only one with a teflon, cable-supported roof:

Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome aerial view on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/virtualbirdseye/2722489104/ - broken link) ford field football stadium on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/virtualbirdseye/2722489060/in/set-72157608256792963/ - broken link) tropicana-field-aerial-view on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Louisiana Superdome Aerial View on Flickr - Photo Sharing! regers-center-aerial-view on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/virtualbirdseye/2425618836/in/set-72157608256953947/ - broken link) Syracuse Carrier Dome Aerial View on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/virtualbirdseye/2871847280/in/set-72157608256792963/ - broken link)

Georgia Dome on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sgiamberdine/2507115238/ - broken link)

Sorry, but I totally disagree. It's easy to tell the difference in the Georgia Dome and most any other dome in the U.S. And show me a building that you might mistake for the AT&T Building in Nashville. It's very unique and would be hard to mistake for anything else.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:29 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,624,505 times
I think most skylines are unrecognizable to the vast majority of people. I remember this one time back in college one of my professors began her lecture with a slideshow of skylines of various US cities. I was the only in that class that managed to guess all of them right, and they all looked back at me like I was a weirdo for knowing all of them, haha. The vast majority of the class could only name Seattle, SF, and Chicago. I don't believe NYC was featured. And this was an URBAN PLANNING/sociology class so it was filled with plenty of urban planning students. Skylines are not as unique and recognizable to the GENERAL population as some posters here make them out to be, even some people I know can't recognize Chicago's skyline.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:05 PM

734 posts, read 2,052,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
So you actually can't distinguish the Georgia Dome roof from these other domes? It's more than a subtle difference...it's the only one with much of a roof design, and the only one with a teflon, cable-supported roof:
Is this a joke? Yeah, I can tell it apart from the other ones- that doesn't make it anything close to a landmark. Unless all the other ones also are, and every stadium in the country, too.

No one is going to look at that and be like "HEY! That's the Georgia Dome!" unless they're from Atlanta. Everyone is would just say "Hey, it's another dome."

Old 07-06-2009, 09:19 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,856,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I think most skylines are unrecognizable to the vast majority of people. I remember this one time back in college one of my professors began her lecture with a slideshow of skylines of various US cities. I was the only in that class that managed to guess all of them right, and they all looked back at me like I was a weirdo for knowing all of them, haha. The vast majority of the class could only name Seattle, SF, and Chicago. I don't believe NYC was featured. And this was an URBAN PLANNING/sociology class so it was filled with plenty of urban planning students. Skylines are not as unique and recognizable to the GENERAL population as some posters here make them out to be, even some people I know can't recognize Chicago's skyline.
Good points. I think sometimes we forget that we're "nerds" here, LOL.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:00 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,511,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Good points...Most Americans can't recognize most skylines outside of their general region except the more famous ones like San Francisco, New York, Seattle, Chicago, and I'd argue the Las Vegas Strip. From travelling around the south I could probably easily recognize Atlanta, Miami, New Orleans, and Jacksonville, but I'd probably be guessing for most of the rest of the the major Southern cities..

Old 07-06-2009, 10:09 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,694,542 times
It is because southern cities are not as popular as the northern cities.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:11 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,856,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
It is because southern cities are not as popular as the northern cities.
No, it's because most Americans have little sense of geography, much less skylines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.