U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-07-2009, 02:08 PM
 
541 posts, read 1,248,724 times
Reputation: 344

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Only Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, and Charlotte are really experiencing rapid growth. Many "deep south" cities like Jackson, Memphis, and Little Rock are actually declining.
Memphis isn't declining. People are just moving further out into Tennessee, Arkansas and Mississippi. There's steady growth within the region.

 
Old 07-07-2009, 02:09 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 11,842,221 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Here is your answer
So in other words, it's a matter of exposure and not necessarily popularity.
 
Old 07-07-2009, 02:21 PM
 
541 posts, read 1,248,724 times
Reputation: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
So in other words, it's a matter of exposure and not necessarily popularity.
Right. Because so much more people are moving to New York City, Philadelphia, Chicago and Boston.

If you have no exposure to the growth of Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, or Charlotte, then I question what rock you've been living under, and if you've chosen to remain willfully ignorant to a part of your country for whatever reason you may harbor.(Not you, but the nycclown).
 
Old 07-07-2009, 02:33 PM
 
Location: In the heights
20,109 posts, read 21,722,272 times
Reputation: 10206
A few things (all very general and certainly don't hold true for every single skyline in the South), many of which are linked

- Relatively recent construction so there's been little time to be particularly idiosyncratic, to span many styles, and to let people know about them
- Built in an age of starchitects that flit from one booming city to another often creating little that isn't or won't be found in other cities
- Lack of exposure in mass media (compounded by the fact that many of these skyscrapers are fairly new)
- Lack of monuments/monumental architecture
- Lack of particularly distinctive environs
- Lack of knowledge or interest by the vast majority of people


Of course, skylines throughout the states aren't particularly recognizable to the vast majority of people save for a small handful of cities. However, much of the above is more prevalent in the South's major cities.
 
Old 07-07-2009, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,856,148 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Only Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, and Charlotte are really experiencing rapid growth. Many "deep south" cities like Jackson, Memphis, and Little Rock are actually declining.
Many?You are WRONG!!MOST are GROWING.What about Tampa ,Miami,Nashville,Birmingham,New Orleans,Jacksonville and Raleigh just to name a few more?
 
Old 07-07-2009, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,856,148 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
Right. Because so much more people are moving to New York City, Philadelphia, Chicago and Boston.

If you have no exposure to the growth of Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, or Charlotte, then I question what rock you've been living under, and if you've chosen to remain willfully ignorant to a part of your country for whatever reason you may harbor.(Not you, but the nycclown).
More people are not moving to those cities than Atlanta,Miami,Houston,Dallas,or Charlotte.I think you need to read a little more.What do you mean no exposure?NYC and Chicago have the most recognized skylines in America.Most other major skylines rank about the same.(as far as recognition).Also include San Francisco and St.Louis.
 
Old 07-07-2009, 03:06 PM
 
541 posts, read 1,248,724 times
Reputation: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
More people are not moving to those cities than Atlanta,Miami,Houston,Dallas,or Charlotte.I think you need to read a little more.What do you mean no exposure?NYC and Chicago have the most recognized skylines in America.Most other major skylines rank about the same.(as far as recognition).Also include San Francisco and St.Louis.
It was sarcasm, in response to the insightful words of one nycricanpapi.
 
Old 07-07-2009, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,856,148 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
It was sarcasm, in response to the insightful words of one nycricanpapi.
lol.Ok sorry.Expressions do not always translate well in wriitten form.LOL
 
Old 07-07-2009, 05:32 PM
 
16,092 posts, read 35,775,631 times
Reputation: 6264
Unrecognizable, indeed!

 
Old 07-07-2009, 05:41 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 11,842,221 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Only Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, and Charlotte are really experiencing rapid growth.
Dang, you missed the nation's fastest-growing metro area, Raleigh, along with several others seeing rapid growth (Austin, San Antonio, Nashville, Jacksonville, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top