Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 11:15 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Yeah I've thought the same thing, the BOA thing in Charlotte is very similar to the BOA thing in Atlanta although BOA was diplomatic enough to build the Charlotte HQ slightly smaller than the Atlanta one as a nod to Atlanta's position as capital of the South.
You've gotta be kidding on that one!

Old 09-16-2008, 11:17 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,032,275 times
They all look the same, don't they?

From houston to atlanta, j/k

but basically it is because they are cities that grew because of the warm weather and northern transplants mostly.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:55 PM

749 posts, read 1,316,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Yeah I've thought the same thing, the BOA thing in Charlotte is very similar to the BOA thing in Atlanta although BOA was diplomatic enough to build the Charlotte HQ slightly smaller than the Atlanta one as a nod to Atlanta's position as capital of the South. The only reason Charlotte's BOA tower is so distinguishable is because it's just so much freaking taller than anything else in the entire city. If it weren't for the BOA tower, Charlotte's skyline would be easily forgotten (just like the rest of that blah/boring city).

And I agree with your assessment of Houston's skyline. It's got an impressive collection of modern high-rises but I don't think the skyline as a whole is nearly as memorable as, say, San Francisco's, Seattle's, or even Pittsburgh's.
Actually Charlotte's tower was built taller than the one in Atlanta. Atlanta just got pissed that Charlotte would of had a taller tower so they went and put a spire on their building to keep the title.

and by the way, Charlotte has a new 2nd and 3rd tallest U/C right now, so i dont know how the tower there "looms" over the entire city, especially since the city sprawls out for miles.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:05 PM

481 posts, read 2,821,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
Actually Charlotte's tower was built taller than the one in Atlanta. Atlanta just got pissed that Charlotte would of had a taller tower so they went and put a spire on their building to keep the title.

and by the way, Charlotte has a new 2nd and 3rd tallest U/C right now, so i dont know how the tower there "looms" over the entire city, especially since the city sprawls out for miles.
wrong on all all counts

First of all, neither the BOA tower in Charlotte nor the BOA tower in Atlanta had anything to do with BOA when they were build, they were both renamed afterwords.

Secondly, Atlanta's BOA tower, without the spire, is still taller than charlottes. Charlottes is 871 feet to the highest point, Atlanta's is 1000+ with the spire and 900+ to the roof.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:08 PM

217 posts, read 1,147,176 times
ATL and H-town arent recognizable?

maybe you just want it to be more then it is.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:13 PM

749 posts, read 1,316,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GF72 View Post
wrong on all all counts

First of all, neither the BOA tower in Charlotte nor the BOA tower in Atlanta had anything to do with BOA when they were build, they were both renamed afterwords.

Secondly, Atlanta's BOA tower, without the spire, is still taller than charlottes. Charlottes is 871 feet to the highest point, Atlanta's is 1000+ with the spire and 900+ to the roof.
i guess my scarcasm wasnt clear .

Old 09-16-2008, 08:23 PM

481 posts, read 2,821,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
i guess my scarcasm wasnt clear .
well you never know I've read some really ignorant things on this forum, i thought you were being serious

Old 09-16-2008, 11:08 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,986,647 times
Over the years i have realized, maybe its a good thing we dont have a huge skyline, i mean albuquerque is fast growing.. but obviously the people that continue to move here dont really care about scrapers, i mean i love scrapers.. but even if they built a fancy or another tower in the city it would ruin are city's look... and for now i must say let the talk stop here.. there are reasons cities dont have highrises, and thats just because they dont want to, and if the people dont like it then they need to move to a better place with towers that make em happy..

i love my city's skyline the way it is.. well i also love the mountains but i dont use that as an excuse..

Old 09-17-2008, 05:41 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
I can't picture what any Southern city's skyline looks like. It seems to not get the attention the Eastern, Midwestern and West Coast cities get.
Are high buildings in the air a desirable trait?

Old 09-17-2008, 05:47 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GF72 View Post
wrong on all all counts

True, it wasn't BOA who built Atlanta and Charlotte's towers, sort of. It was NationsBank, based in Charlotte, who built the two towers. NationsBank eventually bought Bank of America in SF, moved the HQ to Charlotte and renamed the entire company--including those two skyscrapers--Bank of America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City