U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2010, 11:42 PM

571 posts, read 1,103,259 times

Advertisements

I think Houston's BOA Center is the only thing that distinguishes our skyline. I can remember as a little kid, seeing pictures of different cities and being able to pick out Houston b/c of the BOA center (it's also my favorite skyscraper downtown)

Last edited by JMT; 08-14-2011 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: Removed copyrighted image.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:58 PM

12,521 posts, read 22,355,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo5110 View Post
I think Houston's BOA Center is the only thing that distinguishes our skyline. I can remember as a little kid, seeing pictures of different cities and being able to pick out Houston b/c of the BOA center (it's also my favorite skyscraper downtown)
How about Williams Tower? I can't think of any other building in America besides the Sears Tower & Empire State Building that stand out as much as Williams does. It sticks out like a sore thumb dwarfing everything & everyone around it.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:04 AM

13,725 posts, read 25,316,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Dallas - Reunion Tower, Bank of America Plaza (green neon building), & Renaissance Tower (the double X building) not to mention the famed TV show Dallas which showed the Downtown Dallas skyline to the whole world.
Most people outside Texas couldn't tell the Reunion Tower from the Tower of the Americas in San Antonio. The others aren't really any more distinctive than, say, the Bank of America building in Houston (pictured above).

The TV show is an obscure pop culture artifact to anyone under the age of 40 and/or outside the US. We've been over this.

Quote:
New Orleans - Lake Ponchartrain & the French Quarter
We're taking skylines, not natural features or things you can't see from further away. Can you see Bourbon Street when you're crossing the bridge over the lake? Now if you said the Superdome...Katrina gave that exposure in more ways than one. Now, show them a picture of Bourbon Street and everyone knows where it is, but that's not a skyline shot.

Quote:
Atlanta - The Weather Channel & CNN media exposure
How often do you actually see the Atlanta skyline there though? And even when they do, what do they see that makes people the world over say "hey, that's Atlanta!"

Quote:
Miami - Miami Vice TV series & CSI: Miami
Like I said earlier, it's the beach that gives it away. Otherwise it's hardly distinguishable from LA to those who've only seen either one in pictures.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:04 AM

10,171 posts, read 12,197,699 times
Quote:
How about Williams Tower? I can't think of any other building in America besides the Sears Tower & Empire State Building that stand out as much as Williams does. It sticks out like a sore thumb dwarfing everything & everyone around it.
John Hancock Center in Chicago is a landmark building.
As is the Aon Center in Chicago
The new Trump International Tower in Chicago
The Chrysler Building in New York
The US Bank Tower in LA
Space Needle in Seattle
The St. Louis Arch in St. Louis

That's all I could think up for trademark structures/buildings in downtowns across the country.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:48 AM

12,521 posts, read 22,355,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
John Hancock Center in Chicago is a landmark building.
As is the Aon Center in Chicago
The new Trump International Tower in Chicago
The Chrysler Building in New York
The US Bank Tower in LA
Space Needle in Seattle
The St. Louis Arch in St. Louis

That's all I could think up for trademark structures/buildings in downtowns across the country.
For downtowns yes.

I was talking about city skylines in which Houston's Uptown should be included as well. In that case, no other cities skyline has a building that sticks out as much as the Williams Tower does because of its over all height & lack of high rise density surrounding it which both New York & Chicago have plenty of. The tallest building anywhere near the Williams Tower at 901 feet tall is 400 ft. which if you do the math is less than half of its over all height.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:05 AM

10,171 posts, read 12,197,699 times
Quote:
For downtowns yes.

I was talking about city skylines in which Houston's Uptown should be included as well. In that case, no other cities skyline has a building that sticks out as much as the Williams Tower does because of its over all height & lack of high rise density surrounding it which both New York & Chicago have plenty of. The tallest building anywhere near the Williams Tower at 901 feet tall is 400 ft. which if you do the math is less than half of its over all height.
It's the tallest building outside of a downtown, and right next to the Water Wall.

That building certainly is a Houston trademark. Quite possibly even a Texas trademark.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:29 PM

9,968 posts, read 6,107,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonlee206 View Post
there isnt much skyline in the south -- thats why
Ignorance prevails.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:34 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,247,957 times
Quite a few people cannot recognize this view. It's not in the south.

Downtown (http://www.flickr.com/photos/imagicdigital/6033199973/ - broken link) by imagic digital (http://www.flickr.com/people/imagicdigital/ - broken link), on Flickr

Old 08-11-2011, 04:40 PM

21,953 posts, read 30,833,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post

Downtown (http://www.flickr.com/photos/imagicdigital/6033199973/ - broken link) by imagic digital (http://www.flickr.com/people/imagicdigital/ - broken link), on Flickr

Many folks from Staten Island would know this well. Most Americans are horrible at skylines, this forum is by no means an example of how well people know places.

On the Williams Tower honestly outside of this forum and in isolation probably less than 25%, maybe as little as 10% would have a clue

Old 08-11-2011, 05:05 PM

8,656 posts, read 8,792,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post

Ironicly enough, of you showed people a picture of Bostons Downtown Skyline from the Harbour, many americans would say it is DT Manhatten, because often Hollywood uses Dt boston for a NYC fill in for its finantal district, until the WTC comes back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City