U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2011, 05:32 PM

21,945 posts, read 30,797,404 times

Advertisements

I mean really how many typical Americans would be able to identify this skyline, maybe 25% if that

philly skyline | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/28199562@N02/3661862622/ - broken link)

And Yes to DubKing - great to see it, can't believe it is ten years now

Old 08-11-2011, 05:37 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,245,919 times
25% is generous, even if it is one of the clearest picture of Philly I've got...

Philly Skyline (http://www.flickr.com/photos/imagicdigital/6033896340/ - broken link) by imagic digital (http://www.flickr.com/people/imagicdigital/ - broken link), on Flickr

But of course we're just north of the Mason-Dixon line, so it's kinda off topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I mean really how many typical Americans would be able to identify this skyline, maybe 25% if that

philly skyline | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/28199562@N02/3661862622/ - broken link)

And Yes to DubKing - great to see it, can't believe it is ten years now

Old 08-11-2011, 05:37 PM

18,509 posts, read 27,244,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I could easily distinguish that skyline, and I'm from the south. No other skyline looks quite like Bostons. Plenty of southern skylines are easy to recognize, Dallas, Miami, New Orleans, and Atlanta. While many others might not be famous skylines, I can easily name the skylines of Mobile, Ft. Lauderdale, Charlotte, Memphis, Little Rock, Tampa, Jacksonville, Nashville, etc.
i am from the south and although I have been to those cities I can't pick out any of those skylines (other than Houston cause I live here) including NOLA, Miami and ATL.

I can pick out Dallas's if that Building that looks like a microphone is in the shot.

In the NE I can probably pick out NY based on how wide the shot is and if the Chrysler or Empire State Buildings are in the shot.

Chicago's I can pretty much tell.

I could not pick out LA to save my life, SF maybe, but Seattle is the easy one

Old 08-11-2011, 05:39 PM
JJG

12,895 posts, read 18,402,938 times
I think the OP's question is (IMO) a subconsious result of hating the south so much, you're willing to believe ANYTHING about it. No offense.

But really, you mean to tell me that Atlanta, Miami, Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, Nashville, Charlotte, D.C., and Austin are all unrecognizeable?

You really think more people would recognize Buffalo, Newark, Des Moines, Hartford, and Milwaukee as soon as they see it?

It's not so much the skylines, but more the city's popularity, really.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:58 PM

Here I've put Philly and Chicago into the same skyline, to scale. On the far right I threw in Providence, RI just for fun. Chicago's skyline impresses my every time I am there, and I mean the whole of it, not just The Loop or the big tall boxes.

Super Skyline (http://www.flickr.com/photos/imagicdigital/6033930972/ - broken link) by imagic digital (http://www.flickr.com/people/imagicdigital/ - broken link), on Flickr

Old 08-11-2011, 05:59 PM

8,637 posts, read 8,771,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I actually like Boston plus the Pru Center and the thin glass rectangle are very recognizable, but i like this stuff

to Annie, the first was Manhattan not Boston
thats the Hancock Building, the Pjilly Skyline is Better it looks more like a /\ peak thing going on while Boston, and cities like it AKA Dallas are more like a Plateau

Old 08-11-2011, 06:32 PM

14,005 posts, read 21,953,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Most people outside Texas couldn't tell the Reunion Tower from the Tower of the Americas in San Antonio. The others aren't really any more distinctive than, say, the Bank of America building in Houston (pictured above).

The TV show is an obscure pop culture artifact to anyone under the age of 40 and/or outside the US. We've been over this.

We're taking skylines, not natural features or things you can't see from further away. Can you see Bourbon Street when you're crossing the bridge over the lake? Now if you said the Superdome...Katrina gave that exposure in more ways than one. Now, show them a picture of Bourbon Street and everyone knows where it is, but that's not a skyline shot.

How often do you actually see the Atlanta skyline there though? And even when they do, what do they see that makes people the world over say "hey, that's Atlanta!"

Like I said earlier, it's the beach that gives it away. Otherwise it's hardly distinguishable from LA to those who've only seen either one in pictures.
Does it really?

CosmoPhotography's Channel - YouTube

Old 08-11-2011, 06:40 PM

614 posts, read 1,197,803 times
Basically it comes down to exposure in the media. NYC, Chicago, LA, SF, Seattle, Vegas, etc either have really recognizable landmarks or geography + constant exposure in movies, commercials and tv. The south, not as much but there are equal amounts of skylines in midwest/north east most Americans would have a hard time recognizing as well. Milwaukee, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Buffalo, Columbus etc...it's not like they're any more recognizable than houston, dallas, atlanta, charlotte.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:15 PM

22,974 posts, read 57,213,700 times
I just read this whole thread and no one has posted the new skyline in Charlotte.
The picture in beginning of the thread does not include Duke Energy Tower and "The Vue"
However they where mention later in this thread.

Thanks bchris02 for the photo in Photos around Charlotte

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 08-11-2011 at 11:24 PM..

Old 08-11-2011, 08:21 PM

I can easily pick out Houston, Charlotte, Miami and Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I just read this whole thread and no one has posted the new skyline in Charlotte.
The picture in beginning of the thread does not include Duke Energy Tower and "The Vue"
However they where mention.

Thanks bchris02 for the photo in Photos around Charlotte
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.