U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-14-2011, 09:10 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
1,406 posts, read 2,173,276 times
Reputation: 1268

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightscape View Post
Pretty much. And that reminds me-
There's an aviation forum I check out from time to time & it's just like that over there. They can't grasp the idea that to the general public, a plane is a plane is an aluminum tube people get on to go from point A to point B. Instead they're appalled and shocked when a person can't tell a difference between a 737-200 and a 737-300.
That is a great analogy.

We like buildings/cities/etc or we would not be on this site. Like I said in my other post, most average Americans would just recognize a very limited number of famous buildings and that is it.

 
Old 08-14-2011, 09:14 AM
 
Location: Denver
13,976 posts, read 18,695,428 times
Reputation: 8380
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
Orlando and Memphis aren't really prominent in the South. Orlando maybe because of the tourists but they really don't have a skyline. Going down I-4 will show you it but it's nothing to remember.
I wasn't talking about skylines, but perhaps I should have been since this is a skyline thread. Their skylines are not well known, in fact I don't think I've ever seen Orlando's skyline (about to Wiki it now), but the cities are prominent.

The Modis tower in JAX is the only real reason I can distinguish it, the river helps as well though, and the blue bridge that lifts up and down.
 
Old 08-14-2011, 09:39 AM
 
702 posts, read 1,113,799 times
Reputation: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I wasn't talking about skylines, but perhaps I should have been since this is a skyline thread. Their skylines are not well known, in fact I don't think I've ever seen Orlando's skyline (about to Wiki it now), but the cities are prominent.

The Modis tower in JAX is the only real reason I can distinguish it, the river helps as well though, and the blue bridge that lifts up and down.
Good luck finding a good picture of Orlando. They don't really have a picture showing all of the skyline (even though it's small) because they always want to show some lake.

And I had a picture with the Main St. bridge (blue) but it was really big. But I really do think it is easily recognizable.
 
Old 08-14-2011, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 27,244,461 times
Reputation: 7562
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Isn't Sealy north of Beaumont?

I think of it as showing a woman what an cam shaft does, then asking her what a cam shaft does a year later.
People who don't care about cities/architecture, don't remember that. Can you name all the pieces of "chic" furniture that one time you went in that store with your wife/girlfriend?
no Sealy is completely on the other side of Houston. It is about 50 miles west of Downtown Houston. It is about 20 miles passed Old Katy
 
Old 08-14-2011, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 29,779,743 times
Reputation: 7238
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
Orlando and Memphis aren't really prominent in the South. Orlando maybe because of the tourists but they really don't have a skyline. Going down I-4 will show you it but it's nothing to remember.
Historically; Memphis is very significant.
 
Old 08-14-2011, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Boston
7,336 posts, read 15,298,585 times
Reputation: 8612
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I know its hard to grasp. But people like us know skylines in other countries, and normal people can't name the skylines in there state.
In my experience this is true. Most of my family/friends couldn't tell that a photo of Boston's skyline is Boston unless it actually said "Boston" on it and the live the suburbs of Boston. It's not uncommon for me to be sitting with my girlfriend watching TV and see a skyline and I'll say, "what city is that?" and she mostly doesn't know unless they're a signature landmark like the Statue of Liberty, Washington Monument, Gateway Arch, Golden Gate Bridge, etc. Even a distinctly signature building like the Empire State Building or Chrysler is difficult for some to identify.

I do photography. Having invested a lot of money in, and carefully selected camera bodies, lenses and accessories, When I see cameras on the street, I generally identify the brand, focal range, and body of the camera. Most people on this forum probably couldn't tell the difference between a Canon 7D and a Nikon D5000 if they saw them on the street. Cities are the same way. We all know cities and skylines. I can generally pick out a city a movie is set in by the first street scene (assuming it's not filmed in a "stand-in" city like a movie set in NYC that's filmed in Toronto or Boston and even then, I can generally guess where it was filmed). There's a scene in The Other Guys with Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg (set in NYC) where they show the Boston Skyline (right after they wake up from that big all-night bender) as New York City. Most people out there wouldn't know Baltimore from Boston. just by looking at a skyline.

That said, I don't think Southern Cities are unremarkable or non-distinctive. What I DO think is that many of those Southern cities are newer. Their prosperity is much more recent. This means that they haven't had the same opportunities to vary architectural styles in their skylines. Boston, New York, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Baltimore, etc. all have many towers ranging from Neoclassical to Art Deco and on to more modern styles (these styles exist in the south, but not nearly in the same numbers). There's more of a mix of prominent buildings in a variety of styles. With time, that will change as rapidly as architectural trends.

I still like to think that Southern skylines are pretty distinguished. Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas, Miami, Nashville, etc. all stand out quite a bit to me.
 
Old 08-14-2011, 01:00 PM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
12,895 posts, read 18,402,938 times
Reputation: 6593
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Isn't Sealy north of Beaumont?

I think of it as showing a woman what an cam shaft does, then asking her what a cam shaft does a year later.
People who don't care about cities/architecture, don't remember that. Can you name all the pieces of "chic" furniture that one time you went in that store with your wife/girlfriend?
No, Sealy is west of Houston.... WAAAAAY west of Houston.

And I guess I can see it that way, but even if ya don't care about it, you at least have to recognize some of what you see....
 
Old 08-14-2011, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Denver
13,976 posts, read 18,695,428 times
Reputation: 8380
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
no Sealy is completely on the other side of Houston. It is about 50 miles west of Downtown Houston. It is about 20 miles passed Old Katy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
No, Sealy is west of Houston.... WAAAAAY west of Houston.

And I guess I can see it that way, but even if ya don't care about it, you at least have to recognize some of what you see....
I'm thinking of Silsbee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
In my experience this is true. Most of my family/friends couldn't tell that a photo of Boston's skyline is Boston unless it actually said "Boston" on it and the live the suburbs of Boston. It's not uncommon for me to be sitting with my girlfriend watching TV and see a skyline and I'll say, "what city is that?" and she mostly doesn't know unless they're a signature landmark like the Statue of Liberty, Washington Monument, Gateway Arch, Golden Gate Bridge, etc. Even a distinctly signature building like the Empire State Building or Chrysler is difficult for some to identify.

I do photography. Having invested a lot of money in, and carefully selected camera bodies, lenses and accessories, When I see cameras on the street, I generally identify the brand, focal range, and body of the camera. Most people on this forum probably couldn't tell the difference between a Canon 7D and a Nikon D5000 if they saw them on the street. Cities are the same way. We all know cities and skylines. I can generally pick out a city a movie is set in by the first street scene (assuming it's not filmed in a "stand-in" city like a movie set in NYC that's filmed in Toronto or Boston and even then, I can generally guess where it was filmed). There's a scene in The Other Guys with Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg (set in NYC) where they show the Boston Skyline (right after they wake up from that big all-night bender) as New York City. Most people out there wouldn't know Baltimore from Boston. just by looking at a skyline.

That said, I don't think Southern Cities are unremarkable or non-distinctive. What I DO think is that many of those Southern cities are newer. Their prosperity is much more recent. This means that they haven't had the same opportunities to vary architectural styles in their skylines. Boston, New York, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Baltimore, etc. all have many towers ranging from Neoclassical to Art Deco and on to more modern styles (these styles exist in the south, but not nearly in the same numbers). There's more of a mix of prominent buildings in a variety of styles. With time, that will change as rapidly as architectural trends.

I still like to think that Southern skylines are pretty distinguished. Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas, Miami, Nashville, etc. all stand out quite a bit to me.
I look at camera bodies the same. Haven't been into for a while since I set my camera down. Really want a mint AE-1.
 
Old 08-14-2011, 03:34 PM
 
Location: NYC/PHiLLY
860 posts, read 1,078,576 times
Reputation: 438
I can always spot Miami.
 
Old 08-14-2011, 05:08 PM
 
346 posts, read 632,943 times
Reputation: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
what is funny is the SPCA is not near downtown, they never ever go pick up animals downtown (its sometimes in places as far off as La Grange) and yet they show the Downtown Skyline in EVERY episode.
I thought that the SPCA was in the heights right next to memorial park, which isnt that far from downtown, but I guess your right it isn't "in" downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top