U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 03-21-2009, 04:43 PM

15,753 posts, read 17,565,774 times
SF is only recognizable if they show the bridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-21-2009, 04:49 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,238,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
SF is only recognizable if they show the bridge.
The Transamerica building is actually how a lot of foreigners distinguish the actual skyline..it doesn't hurt the Golden Gate is one of the modern wonders of the world.

Unread 03-21-2009, 05:51 PM

604 posts, read 1,001,915 times
The Tower of Americas in San Antonio give away our skyline immediately.
I have trouble putting up pics on this thing, but if you just Google Image "San Antonio skyline", you'll be able to pick it out right away- it has a very distinct look to it (it was the tallest freestanding observation tower for a long time untill one in, I think Las Vegas, topped it recently) and it's the tallest building/ tower in downtown

Unread 03-21-2009, 06:15 PM

Unread 03-21-2009, 09:23 PM

15,753 posts, read 17,565,774 times
Skylines are only recognizable because they are always shown on movies and TVs. LA is a very known skyline, but nothing special. Same with SF and STL. Southern cities don't get nowhere near as much press as northern and western cities.

Unread 03-21-2009, 11:09 PM

8,190 posts, read 5,646,489 times
I don't think that LA has a very known skyline. The skyline is actually one of the least recognizable things about LA, at least to me.

Unread 03-22-2009, 12:50 AM

13,014 posts, read 11,528,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Which city skylines COULD the average person recognize? I don't think it's a problem with skylines in the South only...but with city skylines in general. I don't really believe that someone who can't recognize Nashville or Dallas would more easily recognize San Francisco or Philadelphia.

If someone has a general interest in skyscrapers or urban issues, he will recognize most large U.S. city skylines - no matter where they are located. Also, if someone has traveled to a city and actually seen the skyline in person, he is more likely to recognize it - no matter where it is located. It's not that southern skylines are less recognizable, but all skyline recognition depends on a person's exposure to skylines in general and/or to specific skylines.
Very true. If you cant recognize Dal or Nashville, who's to say you'll recognize Phili, or even Boston, or a city like San Diego. I dont htink the average American can identify these three afformentioned city skylines. So I dont think it's a southern thing, because ALOT of people I know probably wouldnt recognize alot of northern , southern, midwestern or western skylines. Only us city-data members.

Unread 03-22-2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Skylines are only recognizable because they are always shown on movies and TVs. LA is a very known skyline, but nothing special. Same with SF and STL. Southern cities don't get nowhere near as much press as northern and western cities.
Hardly any of those 3 are shown on movies and tv maybe LA but SF and STL? And LA doesn't have a great skyline but it's still nice and SF is easily one of the best in the Country..STL has some growing to do though.

Unread 03-22-2009, 06:17 AM

4,085 posts, read 7,894,282 times
I haven't read through this thread, so I may be echoing someone here, but the main reason, other than that Southern cities were largely agricultural until fairly recently in history, is that you don't see a lot of Southern cities on TV! There's a huge Southern bias in the media (with the possible exception of Atlanta). You recognize the skylines of NYC, Chicago, L.A., SF, Seattle, and Boston and Philadelphia to a lesser extent because you see them in movies and on TV all the time.

Unread 03-22-2009, 06:36 AM

2,059 posts, read 3,069,028 times
IMO and most others believe.... a building has to be 400ft or taller to be make a impact on a skyline.

As far as height goes..... the south with Miami and Houston are #3 & #4 behind Chicago and NYC.

However, every person has their own opinion of the architecture so I am not saying that its the 3rd and 4th best skyline

Ranking regions in order

1. North (NYC, Chicago, Boston, Philly)
2. South (Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Miami)
3. West Coast (LA, SF, Seattle)

I think its the west coast that lacks skylines

Last edited by NYC1DAY; 03-22-2009 at 06:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City