Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2009, 09:38 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,146,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Tampa has a pathetic skyline, I dont dont think it is recognizable at all. Let not even talk about how empty and dead the downtown is at all hours.
I disagree. Tampa has a cylindrical building and one that looks like it has a rooftop on top.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:49 PM

497 posts, read 507,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
I can't picture what any Southern city's skyline looks like. It seems to not get the attention the Eastern, Midwestern and West Coast cities get.
Maybe because of where you live or just your skyline knowledge!! I personally can see almost skyline and know exactly what it is, although Bellevue,WA looked like Honolulu to me at first!!!

Old 04-20-2010, 03:35 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
I can't picture what any Southern city's skyline looks like. It seems to not get the attention the Eastern, Midwestern and West Coast cities get.
What are you talking about? The South has many recognizable skylines...Dallas, New Orleans, Atlanta, & Miami are all widely known in pictures. Now cities like Austin, San Antonio, Houston, Fort Worth, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Shreveport, Little Rock, Memphis, Birmingham, Mobile, Tampa, Orlando, & Charlotte are all kinda a blur to your average Joe.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:47 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
New Orleans skyline isn't that known. But yes, Atlanta, Dallas, and Miami are the probably the most known.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:48 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
What are you talking about? The South has many recognizable skylines...Dallas, New Orleans, Atlanta, & Miami are all widely known in pictures. Now cities like Austin, San Antonio, Houston, Fort Worth, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Shreveport, Little Rock, Memphis, Birmingham, Mobile, Tampa, Orlando, & Charlotte are all kinda a blur to your average Joe.
What sets any of those four apart from the others?

If you didn't have the beach in the picture most people wouldn't recognize Miami either.

All this is a pretty moot point, since Americans in general are blissfully ignorant of geography.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:57 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Maybe because Southern Skylines don't get any media attention.

Also, I do have to admit, they're quite similar in design as well.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:14 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
it would help if any of them had "landmark" structures like the Transamerica building, Sears, Arch, Space Needle, etc... they also don't get any media attention like the poster before me said. I also have to admit that alot of southern skylines can be mistaken for another

Old 04-20-2010, 07:08 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
it would help if any of them had "landmark" structures like the Transamerica building, Sears, Arch, Space Needle, etc... they also don't get any media attention like the poster before me said. I also have to admit that alot of southern skylines can be mistaken for another
Pretty much. It's not the skyline that most people recognize, it's one particular landmark.

If you took out the Space Needle, most people wouldn't be able to tell Seattle from, say, Boston. Show them a picture and it's a big city on the water. Take out the Sears Tower, which is notable pretty much just for being tall, and people would probably have a hard time telling Chicago for that matter.

If they can't see the Hollywood sign, they probably would have a hard time picking LA out of a lineup.

Nothing to "bash" any of these places. If anything, it's to "bash" people's general level of ignorance about places in their own country.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:16 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
What sets any of those four apart from the others?

If you didn't have the beach in the picture most people wouldn't recognize Miami either.

All this is a pretty moot point, since Americans in general are blissfully ignorant of geography.
Dallas - Reunion Tower, Bank of America Plaza (green neon building), & Renaissance Tower (the double X building) not to mention the famed TV show Dallas which showed the Downtown Dallas skyline to the whole world.

New Orleans - Lake Ponchartrain & the French Quarter

Atlanta - The Weather Channel & CNN media exposure

Miami - Miami Vice TV series & CSI: Miami

Old 04-20-2010, 07:23 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
That's your perception. It's not universal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City