U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: IF YOU HAD TO BE STUCK IN A DECADE WHAT DECADE WOULD YOU CHOOSE?
1940's 10 5.13%
1950's 30 15.38%
1960's 27 13.85%
1970's 22 11.28%
1980's 34 17.44%
1990's 49 25.13%
2000's 15 7.69%
it is to hard to choose!! 8 4.10%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 03:57 PM

40,057 posts, read 29,723,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
60's for me, especially the latter part
so much happened in that decade..we put a man on the moon in that decade
awesome awesome music..great rock, great motown
Have to go along with you on this one.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:03 PM

13,645 posts, read 21,499,229 times
Ok, I had to settle in on the 90's because for one thing;
  • That's when my wife finished HS AND college!
  • That's when my career ramped up toward it's peak, before the decline.
  • Cool stuff going on, everybody's happy... Don't worry.
  • I could still listen to all the good music from the late 60's early 70's
  • I could still drive cars from the... see above.
  • Oh, and I could watch the Broncos when they had Elway and won SBs!
  • Gas wasn't too expensive, nor was a home.
  • Clothes and hair styles weren't as tacky as the 70s and 80s!
What more could you need?

Old 11-04-2008, 07:13 PM

7,946 posts, read 14,605,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixFive175 View Post
"The Sixties" were really more like 1969-1973, with outliers as far back as 1967.

The heart of the actual 1960s was, of course, 1965, mathematically. I graduated from high school then.

1965 was mostly this:

• Rock N Roll was still frowned upon by mainstream society. Sure there were many Top 40 stations, but if you were over 25 this wasn't meant for you.
  • In many schools, you had to wear a suit & tie to class still.
  • "Everyone" went to church and you had to dress up.
  • No one I know of had heard of marijuana, LSD, etc. Alcohol was the drug of choice.
  • Gays "didn't exist"; gay bashing was everywhere; closets were the norm.
  • Suburbia was still very 1950's-ish. Mom, apple pie, a new Frigidaire, a Dodge Dart.
  • Draft dodging and all that was unheard of. If you were male and didn't go to college, you went to Vietnam. Period.
  • In white suburbia, open racism was rampant and with no apologies. The N-word was said with open abandon.
  • In real estate, "block busting" and white flight was the norm.
  • The Beatles were huge, of course, but suburban guys thought they were sissies.
  • Words in common use then: "homo"; "Commie"; "Negro/-es"; "Red China".
  • Guys had crew cuts. Girls had beehive bouffant hairdos.
  • Drinking and voting happened at 21 (some states had drinking at age 18: Wisconsin, DC, etc.). Before 21, "children should be seen and not heard";
  • Many towns still had sunset laws (until 1964).
  • Adult bookstores were only in the biggest cities, and usually downtown, and very seedy.
  • Words unknown then (at least in the suburbs): "abortion"; "terrorist"; "serial killer"; "AIDS"; "fisting"; "crack".
  • Not invented yet: hand-held calculators; PC's; laptops; iPods; Walkmans; cell phones; cable TV (you had 3-4 TV channels which signed off at 11 pm each night); GPS; Internet;
  • What you could do then but can't now: smoke almost anywhere; full service gas stations; open burning;
  • Words in use by hip teens: "groovy"; "fab"; "boss"; "bitchin"; "outtasight";
  • 1965 was the era of 1,000 dances: The Frug; Watusi; The Horse; The Fly; The Dog; The Duck; The Loco Motion; The Mashed Potatoes; The Grind; The Watusi; The Shing-a-Ling; The Pony; The Twist; The Hully Gully; The Freddy; The Limbo; The Horse; The Philly Dog; The Peppermint Twist; many many others. How many can you do?

In 1965, there were hints of a growing wisp of change. But you had to look, really look. Even at well-respected ritzy colleges, only a handful of students even knew what marijuana was then.

So when people say "The Sixties", they're really thinking more of things along the lines, say, of 1970-1971.

Things didn't really change or open up until about 1969, actually more like 1970.
Sounds good to me except for the racism part.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:05 PM

784 posts, read 2,010,006 times
I love the 80's for these reasons
No internet yet
No rude im so important cell phones yet
music,--happy and cool
Maddonna was still cool
Michael Jackson ruled pop
Better movies in the eighties
Better economy
People still know how to have fun
There was still Rock and Roll
Concerts were worth going to see
Teen movies in the 80's ruled..Give it up to John Hughes
Cocaine was still cool
MTV was for music
No stupid celebrities
No stupid reality shows
America was still the Country to aspire to be like
Still pensions and retirement plans
people could still smoke in diners and bars
No kids walking around with their undies showing
It was a simpler time
You could still smoke in diners and bars..Yahooooo
People had to actually go out to interact
Ya hoo go eighties

Side note----Nineties before walmart and the internet took over were pretty good too. 60's and 70's rule as well

Old 11-05-2008, 01:28 PM

2,851 posts, read 5,429,691 times
I can understand why so many people have romantic views of the 90's on here as many of the responders were in their teens early 20's during that time and people tend to look favorably upon that era of their life.

And though my glory days were in the 80's the only things that really were better in those days I have to admit were the music, and in some ways the economy (you could actually graduate from high school and with a little luck land a factory job making $20 an hour very very good money for that time. and gas was so cheap!) and the stock market and economy overall were much more stable through out most of the decade. And oh yeah there was no AIDs for the most part. Families were a little tighter and you had greater sense of American pride (the dollar was strong throughout the world as was our military).

When you look outside those things however, not so good. We lived in constant threat of nuclear annihiliation (spelling?). Because of our position of mutually assured destruction we held with the Russians. Many inner cities that have undergone massive gentrification and revitalization now were just plain awful back then. Race relations were not as good and technology we take for granted now didn't exist (but then again, since we had never had it we didn't miss it.)

Old 04-13-2009, 01:31 PM

18,264 posts, read 6,953,297 times
If I got to make a second choice I would choose the 90's.

Your Right McCowDog!

Old 04-13-2009, 01:44 PM

8,900 posts, read 12,709,852 times
I love the 1940s and 1980s. I like them both for different reasons. Hard to choose between the 2. I would just love going back in time to the 40s to see what NYC was like then and try to navigate around. I love the 80s for the style and music mostly. I would love to see my favorite bands in their heyday as a teenager. Too bad I was only 4, 5 years old in the late 80s.

I don't know why people chose the 90s. That was a bad time to be a teenager, with Columbine and all (at least the late 90s). It wasn't very nice being scared to go into high school everyday. We had to be patted down and searched everyday walking into the building.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:00 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,554,093 times
Probably the 80s. Instead of wasting my time on the Internet, I would likely have spent my time reading books, comics, and hanging out with some sort of "nerdy" clique.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:57 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,652,791 times
I would go with the 60s (mid 60s on). I turned 20 in 1968. It was a great time to be that age and living in NYC. True there was a lot of strife (Nam, racial, etc.), but it was also a time of new beginnings. We were young. We were going to change the world. Well, we changed many things, but many just remained the same.

After that I would pick the 80s. The 70s were not a very good time to be living in NYC.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:35 PM

196 posts, read 373,434 times
I would of selected the 20's if it was an option here, but of your list, I chose the 60's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City