U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2008, 06:08 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,256,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
And this character wouldn't be able to figure out why New Yorkers respond negatively to him. Or her. Whatever.
My mom is from Brooklyn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 06:09 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,959,302 times
[quote=TomDot;6320103][quote=Colddiamond102;6318604]Phooey. That will happen to you in almost any small town. You come in a small area, you're different than they are, they dont know you, so of course people are going to look at you and be a bit suspicious as to why you might be there.
You cant tell me that if I set foot in New England and ya'll heard my accent that nobody would wonder wtf I was doing there
Quote:

I am from Boston and no where in the hinterlands of New England do I get stares from the locals.

Colddiamond, why do you feel it necessary to type regional jargon like y'all?
Never felt it was necessary.iIt just flows better to me when casually typing than using phrases such as "you guys" or " the locals". I use the term when I speak sometimes, so it just kinda comes out. Why do you ask?
btw, THAT isnt jargon. You can actually understand what that meant. Jargon is when I type off a sentence in regional terms that you'd have to read at least twice to understand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
You can't generalize and entire region of people based on a few people you ave met. If you've never visited the city, you can't really base an opinion. I go on this message board where NY tourists post their trip reports. They said they've never met anyone as nice as NYers. You would be pleasantly surprised...

By the way, biscuits and gravy/mac and cheese holds nothing against NY pizza and bagels.
No ma'am,but I can be wary when I first hear a NY accent because of the quite a few people Ive met and deal with on a daily basis. Trust me, Ive reason to be so. If they're fine within the first 5 minutes or so, then that waryness tends to subside.
Eh, I have a cousin in PA who brought me some NY pizza once when he visited here. Not a fan. The crust is too crunchy, and the sauce tasted funny to me. Im happy with Domino's ,Pizza Hut, and Papa Johns. As for bagels...I hate bagels. Blech! Too chewy and you have to add cream cheese or something to even make it almost worthwhile. Just not my thing. lol I really would starve. lol

Old 11-26-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Eh, I have a cousin in PA who brought me some NY pizza once when he visited here. Not a fan. The crust is too crunchy, and the sauce tasted funny to me. Im happy with Domino's ,Pizza Hut, and Papa Johns.
I laughed at this, because it's completely absurd...

Old 11-26-2008, 06:29 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,999,126 times
New Jersey are the rudest

As part of my job I have call branches in virtually every state ...
and New Jesery people I have delt with are rude , abrupt, attitude like you wouldn't believe, hard to be polite to these people, they make NY look good
NY people are nice and helpful compared with NJ

On the flipside ....I would say New Mexico people are friendly
North Dakota too

As for drivers ....my theory is once you get west of the mississippi drivers are more courteous....much less agressive tailgaters like you get in the east
(with the exception of Los Angeles...it's been awhile since I drove there)

Old 11-26-2008, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
I laughed at this, because it's completely absurd...
Um...why? Ive tried it...didnt like it. How is it absurd?

Old 11-26-2008, 07:31 PM

398 posts, read 1,136,293 times
Wow - so many people have had such bad experiences with people from NJ? I was there for a month - from west of NYC, west to PA, north, south ... all around ... randomly and aimlessly. And I met some of the nicest people EVER... always wanted to know where I was from and why I was there and where I was going next and wanted to talk my ear off about everything... everyone had something to suggest to make my trip more fun - from dining choices to driving directions. Sure - NJ definitely has its own culture - but hell, it was so much fun to join in the team-honking as soon as the lights turned green. Stress relief!!! I **LOVE** New Jersey!!!!!

Old 11-26-2008, 07:33 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times
we are very rude and inconsiderate but we smile a lot and wave and wear great hawaiian shirts.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Um...why? Ive tried it...didnt like it. How is it absurd?
Because chain pizza tastes like bread with sauce on it.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Because chain pizza tastes like bread with sauce on it.
And a NY pizza tastes like a giant cracker with cheese and tomato and all sorts of other garbage on it/in it.

So we'll have to agree to disagree.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:06 PM

That's a total joke...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City