Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2008, 03:12 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
so because someone has different values they can not have a nice and interesting personality. great.
Beleive it or not, it is actually pretty had not to be influenced by parents. your parents are not your choice.

I was simply pointing out that there is a vast difference between judgments based on race as opposed to political affiliation. Ultimately, they can't be compared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 03:15 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,766,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
I was simply pointing out that there is a vast difference between judgments based on race as opposed to political affiliation. Ultimately, they can't be compared.
Maybe true, but also understand the "WHITE republican" part. what does this mean that an indian with the same values as these white republicans should be treated better becasue he isn't white. But anyway, my point is, you can not judge someone for their political stand points. its wrong, and a form of discrimination. Maybe it could be compared more to discriminating against religion, something you can convert out of and that you are born into with parental influence

Old 02-03-2009, 03:46 PM

2 posts, read 4,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
New Jersey are the rudest

As part of my job I have call branches in virtually every state ...
and New Jesery people I have delt with are rude , abrupt, attitude like you wouldn't believe, hard to be polite to these people, they make NY look good
NY people are nice and helpful compared with NJ

On the flipside ....I would say New Mexico people are friendly
North Dakota too

As for drivers ....my theory is once you get west of the mississippi drivers are more courteous....much less agressive tailgaters like you get in the east
(with the exception of Los Angeles...it's been awhile since I drove there)
New Jersey people are not mean, just loud and a little annoying.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:02 PM

2 posts, read 4,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinpo View Post
New Jersey people are not mean, just loud and a little annoying.
By the way,

Nicest: Southern Louisiana, Southern Georgia, PA, KY, OH, WV, NC, MS, VA

Rudest: Northern Georgia, Alabama

Disputed: Atlanta Metro Area (GA)

I have had good experience in all the nice states listed. However Southern Georgia is known for southern Hospitality. KY, WV, MS, and Northern Louisiana are nice but very prejudice. The Atlanta Area veries, theres nice and mean people. You can be poor as long as your not dumb or a slob. As for Southern LA. You could be the meanest person alive and they won't hate you. BY far the nicest.

As for Alabama, the people stare at you, and are very prejudice. Unlike Southern GA, Northern GA (in the Mountains) are very prejudice and territorial. Although the land is rich and beautiful. Don't let that influence how the people are. Also I don't have any experience in Arkansas, however I have heard ugly stories.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:51 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
Honestly, the people in the Northeast. I am originally from NJ. THe people in the Northeast may be abrupt, blunt, and in-your-face, but they are very honest and I highly respect that. The South is filled with a lot of bull. They talk all sweet and nice to your face and then stab you in the back as soon as you turn around. Southern hospitality is a complete act.
In my experience, people from the Northeast inherit both the negative aspects of initially being rude and blunt in your face AND talking behind the backs of their "so-called" friends - that is if they open up to other people (and seeing how cliquish and clannish people are here, that's a big a** IF).

Wouldn't know much about the South, but southerners that I know are very opinionated.

This is why I would rather stick w/ Midwesterners and those from the Western areas as people to associate and befriend. The social drama & issues significantly decline when dealing w/ many people from those areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbrite View Post
Also, some people are known for being friendly to some folks, but rude to others, depending on how they perceive that person to be, or how they perceive to be treated by that person. This is going to skew the results here. So will a host of other issues that we don't have time to go into.
This is very true, which explains why even these rude people still have "friends." In the Northeast (which today, includes most of Maryland as well), people who are seen as Type-A's, chauvinistic, arrogant, and loud-mouth "tools" are more likely to receive the "friendliness" from many people in this region, while the more laid-back types who are more down-to-earth, friendly, and passive are definitely seen as "weak." Also, deny it as much as you want, but race has a lot to do with it as well, sometimes in a general sense, and sometimes in a sense of appearing like the assumed stereotype (note: the ones who approach themselves more stereotypical gets less crap). Other factors include income, birthplace, residencies, and clothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Well they don't treat you like crap but they do treat you like a foolish, lost soul. Many people in MA act as if they are the enlightened ones. That they have somehow evolved beyond the rest of the country.
"Why are you bigots not smart enough to recognize that two men are just as good as a man and a woman when it comes to raising children.
If they say that to you, just respond to them "Why are you bigots not smart enough to recognize that a black man and a white woman are just as good as a white man and a white/Asian woman when it comes to marriage and raising children." Shuts them up every time!

Old 02-06-2009, 09:08 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Florida's not that rude. People overate Florida's rudeness. And alot of floridians are from up north anyway.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:39 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,682,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.g.harpool View Post
Hate making the generalization, but I would say, based solely on my personal experiences:

Rudest:

1. New Jersey (Really, that state deserves to be in a category all by itself in the nastiness category! Not just the people either...)
2. New York (mostly the City; I love NYC, but there is no denying that the residents there can be rather brash, stuck up, and annoying)
3. Connecticut (rich, stuck up, think they're better than everyone else)
4. Massachusetts (same reasons as Connecticut by and large)

Nicest:

1. Pennsylvania (very down to earth and friendly, probably the blue-collar roots)
2. Kentucky (lives up to its reputation)
3. California (probably the single most laid back place I've ever visited)
4. New Mexico (remarkably unpretentious, down to earth, friendly)

Old 02-07-2009, 07:01 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.g.harpool View Post
Hate making the generalization, but I would say, based solely on my personal experiences:

Rudest:

1. New Jersey (Really, that state deserves to be in a category all by itself in the nastiness category! Not just the people either...)
2. New York (mostly the City; I love NYC, but there is no denying that the residents there can be rather brash, stuck up, and annoying)
3. Connecticut (rich, stuck up, think they're better than everyone else)
4. Massachusetts (same reasons as Connecticut by and large)

Nicest:

1. Pennsylvania (very down to earth and friendly, probably the blue-collar roots)
2. Kentucky (lives up to its reputation)
3. California (probably the single most laid back place I've ever visited)
4. New Mexico (remarkably unpretentious, down to earth, friendly)
Funny how we experience different things when visiting the same states. Here's my take:

NJ - I met the nicest people during a recent concert at the Prudential Center in Newark. The employees and staff were hands down the most polite I've ever encountered in ANY sports arena or stadium. Outside on the streets the cops were also very polite and courteous.

From my experience southern hospitality applies only to those from the south. I found places like Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, and South Carolina to be somewhat rude and abrasive. I did have some good vibes in Arkansas, Georgia and Virginia though.

New Mexico - remarkably unpretentious? Have you been to Santa Fe?

I will agree that New England has the least friendly people of anywhere I've been, with Massachusetts at the top of the list. There are some salty folks in that area. Lived here for almost 5 years. Actually upstate NY was the worst.

The Rome/Utica area has some miserable S.O.B.'s up there, even before it's economy took a dunk. I'm from NYC and I can tell you that I noticed the rudeness and arrogance of people upstate.

I never really got along with people from Ohio, not sure why. Except Cleveland, they have some cool folks.

I agree about Pennsylvania too, nice people out there and easy to get along with.

I encountered some really nice people in Nevada (smaller towns and cities), as well as California.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:39 AM

73 posts, read 198,025 times
This post is ridiculous. People are making assumptions about a state based on one or two incidents or stereotypes.

There are rude and nice people no matter where you go. I travel alot and have encountered rude people in states where there is a stereotype of freindliness, and vice versa.

To make a blanket statement is immature and ignorant.

I personally think the Northeast gets a bad rap. I grew up in NY and now live in CT and I am sick of hearing the stereotype from other people in the country that we are rude. It is just that, a stereotype. I would never live anywhere else.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:53 AM

1,577 posts, read 5,687,834 times
Southerners aren't that nice to Northerners, or at least the ones that are obsessed with the civil war.

Florida would be the rudest in my opinion. A lot of the people there are either old and grumpy or rich and arrogant... I'm not saying all people are like that in FL, I'm just answering the forum.

I find the nicest people here at home of coarse, but i wont be bias. I would say the Yonkers area of NY has really nice people. I actually like the people in NYC. People may think they're rude, but in reality they just are so used to tourist that they don't care how they're viewed. They may seem rude to a lot of people, but they have a good personality. That beats someone faking politeness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City