U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 02:27 PM

2,851 posts, read 5,429,691 times

Advertisements

I think in that much time Atlanta's three skylines Downtown, Midtown, and Buckhead will have all grown together. When that happens a ride up Peachtree Blvd with about 8 miles of highrises will be mind blowing!

Old 12-04-2008, 03:46 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,810,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
I think in that much time Atlanta's three skylines Downtown, Midtown, and Buckhead will have all grown together. When that happens a ride up Peachtree Blvd with about 8 miles of highrises will be mind blowing!
That would be quite a sight.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:01 PM

823 posts, read 2,472,597 times
Smile Wait a minute!! Folks lets get real!!

Most of this thread about future skylines is nothing more than dreaming.
Let me bring you down to reality.

First of all this country is in a huge recession. In order for those projects to get built they need to be at least 70% pre leased. Right now we are experiencing a reduction in demand for office space that is almost nationwide. Plus residential real estate is depreciating so the developers will not get the same price that they planned on.

I can all but guarantee you that unless these projects are already under construction they are probably going to be delayed or put on hold or outright cancelled until further notice.

Please only speak of projects that have already gone through significant construction. I have seen big projects actually break ground and had the boom cranes erected AND THEY STILL GET CANCELLED!!! Got it??

So dream on but don't bet on it. Right now most major projects are not going to happen. If you understand developement you know that a large part of publicized projects never get built.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:42 PM

8,900 posts, read 12,709,852 times
This is what downtown Manhattan will look like with the Freedom Tower, which will be finished by around 2012.

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/wtc02xi5.jpg/1/w360.png (broken link)

Old 12-04-2008, 05:20 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,810,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Most of this thread about future skylines is nothing more than dreaming.
Let me bring you down to reality.

First of all this country is in a huge recession. In order for those projects to get built they need to be at least 70% pre leased. Right now we are experiencing a reduction in demand for office space that is almost nationwide. Plus residential real estate is depreciating so the developers will not get the same price that they planned on.

I can all but guarantee you that unless these projects are already under construction they are probably going to be delayed or put on hold or outright cancelled until further notice.

Please only speak of projects that have already gone through significant construction. I have seen big projects actually break ground and had the boom cranes erected AND THEY STILL GET CANCELLED!!! Got it??

So dream on but don't bet on it. Right now most major projects are not going to happen. If you understand developement you know that a large part of publicized projects never get built.
I understand where you're coming from but I believe that these are more than just dreams. Chicago once burnt down but look at it today. No one is saying these things will happen over night or it will be in the immediate future. But systems always correct themselves and in time we will be out of this recession. It may be a while, perhaps, but we will be out of it. Like I said, I appreciate your realistic approach but I believe we are being realistic too, but still noticing the silver lining in the sky.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:57 PM

1,779 posts, read 3,383,157 times
Miami has the most new contruction of high rises of any US City by sheer number for the time being. The Miami skyline should be vastly different once these new skyscrapers get finished.

Though..... Dubai, UAE takes the cake for the world prize. Blows away anything we're doing here in the US.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:19 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,228,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Freedom Tower
What a stupid name. Is it made of fries? Furthermore, if we are supposed to truly believe that "they hate us for our freedom," wouldn't a Freedom Tower be a monolithic hate magnet?

Old 12-05-2008, 04:33 PM

4,383 posts, read 15,040,215 times
That's just a nickname. It's actual name is 1WTC

Old 12-05-2008, 07:24 PM

1,576 posts, read 4,714,386 times
Buffalo, NY ...

From this:

To This:

Old 12-05-2008, 08:32 PM

217 posts, read 224,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needless Kane View Post
Don't count Los Angeles out yet in 2020 Los Angeles is supposedly going to have a more dominet skyline. Go california cities!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it already looks like this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or