Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 11:27 PM

5 posts, read 12,150 times

Advertisements

I am a 21 year old gay college student currently living in southern Idaho. I am planning on moving out of this place this December; but I'm not sure where to go. I'm ultimately trying to decide between: Salt Lake City/ Seattle/ or Portland. I've never really been to Seattle but I hear it's amazing! I've been to Portland and I have family that lives outside of the city. I go to Salt Lake every few months and I really like it. I'm hoping there is someone out there who can help me figure out which place would be the best for me... Like I said I'm 21 so I want s place wheres there's a lot to do, a great city nightlife. Also I probably can't afford to live downtown in any city so how is the public transit in the cities? How is the job markets in the cities? Obviously finding a job and a safe place to live is my first priority. I like the rain, but I don't really want it all the time, I love sunshine, but I don't like the snow, and I hate the cold. As I also mentioned I'm gay so are any of the cities gay friendly with vibrant communities? I really want a big city feel with lots of shopping and things to do.. Please help!

Old 08-08-2011, 11:50 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lstilwell90 View Post
I am a 21 year old gay college student currently living in southern Idaho. I am planning on moving out of this place this December; but I'm not sure where to go. I'm ultimately trying to decide between: Salt Lake City/ Seattle/ or Portland. I've never really been to Seattle but I hear it's amazing! I've been to Portland and I have family that lives outside of the city. I go to Salt Lake every few months and I really like it. I'm hoping there is someone out there who can help me figure out which place would be the best for me... Like I said I'm 21 so I want s place wheres there's a lot to do, a great city nightlife. Also I probably can't afford to live downtown in any city so how is the public transit in the cities? How is the job markets in the cities? Obviously finding a job and a safe place to live is my first priority. I like the rain, but I don't really want it all the time, I love sunshine, but I don't like the snow, and I hate the cold. As I also mentioned I'm gay so are any of the cities gay friendly with vibrant communities? I really want a big city feel with lots of shopping and things to do.. Please help!
Seattle will definitely cost more and rain more often. Everything else sounds like it fits right in with Seattle.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:37 AM

27,216 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lstilwell90 View Post
Actually unlike Portland or Seattle you can afford to live in a decent area of downtown Salt Lake. The area around the University of Utah offers some good non-slummy options. In my opinion Salt Lake is a great city with a lot to offer particularly with outdoor recreation and also has a surprisingly good transit system. Utah Transit Authority You have to decide whether you'd rather have a sunny location with occasional snow and few months of really cold weather...versus frequent rain/drizzle, some cold weather and clouds. Salt Lake has 7.6% unemployment while Seattle and Portland have been hovering around 9.5%. Good luck!

Old 08-09-2011, 07:00 AM

413 posts, read 789,725 times
Seattle has WAY, WAY more nightlife and a much larger and more vibrant gay community than Salt Lake City. In fact according to Wikipedia, Seattle has the second largest gay community in the US after San Francisco.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:33 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bowen View Post
Seattle has WAY, WAY more nightlife and a much larger and more vibrant gay community than Salt Lake City. .
Perhaps it is but Salt Lake has a large and vibrant gay community as well.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:40 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
If you live where you say you do and want a change then SLC is not the place lol. Go for Seattle, Portland or even Boise, Boise has more going on than SLC and a better night life and much better restaurant scene. But yeah, SLC would not be the place if you want a change from where you currently live. I have gay friends who have left SLC and moved to places like Boise or Seattle or Portland. If you want to experience a big city go to Seattle, SLC is smallish.

Last edited by Syringaloid; 08-09-2011 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-09-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Boise has more going on than SLC.
Not even close.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Not even close.
I've lived right in downtown SLC, and visit friends and family in SLC often, so I have knowledge of both cities.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
I've lived right in downtown SLC, and visit friends and family in SLC often, so I have knowledge of both cities.
So you more than most already know that Salt Lake City is far more vibrant than Boise, which I spent a month in a while back on business.

Boise is a pleasant city, but small compared to Salt Lake.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
So you more than most already know that Salt Lake City is far more vibrant than Boise, which I spent a month in a while back on business.

Boise is a pleasant city, but small compared to Salt Lake.
Boise is smaller yes and more vibrant yes, I can give you many many examples but do not want to clutter this thread with our side conversation. If you want I can pm you my thoughts. Having lived in SLC I know the city well. Friends who visit me in Boise from SLC usually agree that Boise seems and feels more vibrant, maybe because it is smaller with more concentrated in the downtown area. SLC is busy during the day but dead at night. SLC is a nice place but getting back to the original question I believe Lstilwell90 would enjoy Seattle much more. Considering where he is from, SLC and even Boise are going to be familier as they are the two large cities in his region, Seattle will be a new experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City