U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 12:28 AM

11,644 posts, read 31,913,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I'm not saying people don't read the can, but I doubt as many people as you think do. Your really getting into something when you assume a soda can make a city more known. In this case, Waco is a internationally known city.
Dr. Pepper isn't even a fraction as popular overseas as Coke. The Army didn't give away free bottles of Dr. Pepper as it liberated France, they gave away Coke. The Chinese don't stand in line to buy Dr. Pepper; it's not even available in China. Like it or not, Dr. Pepper is not nearly as intertwined with American pop culture as Coca-Cola.

I was once at a marriage of a friend in Atlanta. He was marrying a Spanish girl. I was talking to her parents who had come over from Spain, and they were so excited to be in the hometown of Coca-Cola. I'm sure there are probably people who get as excited to be in the hometown of Dr. Pepper, but on a much, much smaller scale.

In my family we have Dr. Pepper memorabilia. My dad adores it, guzzles it by the gallon. But Dr. Pepper, as good as it is, doesn't have nearly the cult following that Coke does, especially overseas.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:32 AM

14,025 posts, read 22,058,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlequhnBoy View Post
I think Orlando is more of a resort town. It's not really associated with Southern history and culture. And many people don't consider Florida, south of the panhandle, to be the "South."

Atlanta is the capital of the South, but the region definitely doesn't revolve around Atlanta at all. On another note, I'd say New Orleans is the cultural capital, and Memphis is the music capital.
Good point. I definetly consider ATL capital of the south (excluding FLA south of the panhandle, and TX and parts of LOUISIANA.)

Old 01-03-2009, 12:46 AM

9,223 posts, read 13,501,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Dr. Pepper isn't even a fraction as popular overseas as Coke. The Army didn't give away free bottles of Dr. Pepper as it liberated France, they gave away Coke. The Chinese don't stand in line to buy Dr. Pepper; it's not even available in China. Like it or not, Dr. Pepper is not nearly as intertwined with American pop culture as Coca-Cola.

I was once at a marriage of a friend in Atlanta. He was marrying a Spanish girl. I was talking to her parents who had come over from Spain, and they were so excited to be in the hometown of Coca-Cola. I'm sure there are probably people who get as excited to be in the hometown of Dr. Pepper, but on a much, much smaller scale.

In my family we have Dr. Pepper memorabilia. My dad adores it, guzzles it by the gallon. But Dr. Pepper, as good as it is, doesn't have nearly the cult following that Coke does, especially overseas.
Yep. You can't deny that Coke is the more popular drink out of the two. I still prefer my Dr. Pepper.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:05 AM

11,987 posts, read 10,744,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
I think you have a good argument about Atlanta being the capital of the undisputed South, one I gave some many, many pages ago, but you need to quit while you're ahead. Houston also offers flights to Moscow, so that and most everything else you listed is a wash really. I would probably argue that Atlanta is home to CNN, etc., many universities especially HBCU's, and its role in the civil rights movement before I'd bring up Coca-Cola. I'm sorry, but I don't really see being home to a soft drink company as something all that noteworthy and having much to do with its worth as a Southern "capital," and I doubt many people even know or care that Coke comes from Atlanta.
Here's what I was getting at Houstoner: Atlanta is indisputably southern and indisputably important culturally and economically. I think Coke is an excellent example of this because it's one of the most recognizable products in the world, yet, if you think about it -- it's very southern. Southerners love their sugar. An Atlantan developed a product that would appeal specifically to the southern palate, but it became one of the world's most popular drinks. I never really cared that Coke came from Atlanta when I grew up drinking it in L.A., but when I found out it did it makes sense. Coke is basically just fizzy sweet tea. If Coke was developed elsewhere and just happened to have set up its corporate headquarters in Atlanta, I wouldn't think it mattered much -- but no, Coke is a product of the city, and really of the South, and it has global significance. More people around the world drink Coke than any other product. Billions of people put a little South in their mouth every day -- rather they realize or care if its from the southern USA or not is inconsequential. They're doing it nonetheless.

Also, I know Atlantans can be obnoxious when it comes to having hosted the Olympics, but if you think about it -- it is pretty remarkable. NYC and Chicago have not hosted the Olympics, and yet Atlanta has. It says something that a prestigious global committee looked at cities around the world and picked this one over the others -- Athens, Greece was in the running in 1996 .. I think London was too. Despite the fact that I currently live in the Atlanta metro, I'm not a big Atlanta booster. The city is kind of ugly, and it has its flaws -- there are also lots of other charming locales in the South and southern areas, but you really have to give it to Atlanta. If given a choice, virtually everyone would pick San Diego over Los Angeles as a place to live, but everyone acknowledges that while L.A. may not be the prettiest belle at the ball, she is the queen of it nonetheless. Same can be said for Atlanta.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:09 AM

As for the Olympics, Atlanta's job during that has hurt the chances of any city of similar size in the US hosting the Summer Olympics. The lead IOC guy said at the end of the Atlanta Olympics "well done Atlanta", instead of the usual "this has been the best Olympics yet". A heavily commercialized games. Still, no one can take away the fact that Atlanta hosted it. I also don't think cities like Chicago and NYC really need the Olympics to show who they are. It'd just be an added bonus.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:09 AM

14,025 posts, read 22,058,751 times
What about Miami and Burger King?

Old 01-03-2009, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
What about Miami and Burger King?
And the Chicago area with McDonalds, Dallas with Pizza Hut Houston with Marble Slab, etc. This Coke thing is going too far. So many other cities have their own food/drink establishments that people from around the world use.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:27 AM

11,987 posts, read 10,744,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
And the Chicago area with McDonalds, Dallas with Pizza Hut Houston with Marble Slab, etc. This Coke thing is going too far. So many other cities have their own food/drink establishments that people from around the world use.
Coca Cola is more than just a little eatery that went big. Coca Cola revolutionized the way that people around the world drink. It truly is iconic -- and as I said, it's very southern. So yes, Coke is significant. The only example you gave that is equal to Coke is McDonald's. McDonald's revolutionized the way the world eats by birthing the fast food concept. And it just so happens, it does not come from the Chicago area. That's just where Ray Kroc opened his first restaraunt after buying the McDonald's concept from the McDonald's brothers who happened to have operated their hamburger stand across the street from where I went to high school in San Bernardino, California. You've probably never heard of San Bernardino, and if you have, you haven't heard anything good. It's truly a hell hole. Yet, fast food is very organic to the town. I can see how cheap, crappy, greasy, ultimately poisonous food comes from my hometown. I do a get a little rush of civic pride every time I drive past a McDonald's.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:32 AM

3,206 posts, read 7,843,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Why do you keep acting like Austin and San Antonio are one big metro area when they are clearly not? It says something when you have to throw two cities together just to match Atlanta, and even then they still fall short. The only cities/metros in Texas that are comparable to Atlanta are Houston and Dallas--period.
Why not since the Atlanta area has one of the largest sprwl in USA to come up to their 5.3 m people, why not throw in SA and Austin together since the two metros are almost continious now. (4 miles apart)

It is funny I never see Miami, Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, Charlotte, Memphis, SA or Nashville ever knock Atlanta unless it has been provoked first

Old 01-03-2009, 01:32 AM

15,989 posts, read 29,905,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Coca Cola is more than just a little eatery that went big. Coca Cola revolutionized the way that people around the world drink. It truly is iconic -- and as I said, it's very southern. So yes, Coke is significant. The only example you gave that is equal to Coke is McDonald's. McDonald's revolutionized the way the world eats by birthing the fast food concept. And it just so happens, it does not come from the Chicago area. That's just where Ray Kroc opened his first restaraunt after buying the McDonald's concept from the McDonald's brothers who happened to have operated their hamburger stand across the street from where I went to high school in San Bernardino, California. You've probably never heard of San Bernardino, and if you have, you haven't heard anything good. It's truly a hell hole. Yet, fast food is very organic to the town. I can see how cheap, crappy, greasy, ultimately poisonous food comes from my hometown. I do a get a little rush of civic pride every time I drive past a McDonald's.
Seriously, Coke is popular but lets not get carried away. Dr.Pepper is the oldest soft drink in the world and has one of the most memorable commercials ever. Coke does not equate to Atlanta and that is how the world sees it. It maybe be special to people in ATL, but to rest of us, it's just a drink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City