U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-03-2009, 12:38 AM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,223 posts, read 13,830,394 times
Reputation: 3545

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Have you been overseas? I've been to over 30 countries. I've talked to people about it. I've been to the Coca-Cola Museum in Atlanta with people from around the world who went to Atlanta specifically to go to the home of Coca-Cola. A friend from Belgium came to visit last year and insisted I take him to Atlanta to the Coke museum. So yes it does happen. There are over 6 billion people, and for you to assume that everyone has to think the way you do is just silly.
Weren't you just telling jluke that it may just be him and the people he knows, yet you did the same thing? And I honestly think the native Atlantans are idolizing this Coke thing way too much. To most, it's just a drink. I doubt when people drink Coke they thing Atlanta.

 
Old 01-03-2009, 12:48 AM
 
3,219 posts, read 8,003,160 times
Reputation: 1411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Weren't you just telling jluke that it may just be him and the people he knows, yet you did the same thing? And I honestly think the native Atlantans are idolizing this Coke thing way too much. To most, it's just a drink. I doubt when people drink Coke they thing Atlanta.
That means everytime somepne has a cocktail they think of New Orleans. This is where the cocktail was invented
 
Old 01-03-2009, 12:57 AM
 
12,050 posts, read 11,142,366 times
Reputation: 10009
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
That means everytime somepne has a cocktail they think of New Orleans. This is where the cocktail was invented
You're missing the point. The point is that soda is as southern as sweet tea, but it's typically not thought of that way because it has become so global. Still, it's a drink that was developed to appeal to southern palates in southern climates. Coke happens to be the world's most popular soda, and it was developed in Atlanta by an Atlantan. So yes, Atlanta is influencing the world via Coke rather people think of it that way or not. And as another poster so deftly pointed out, many people do think of it that way. I have walked past the Coke musuem in downtown Atlanta many times, and every single time there are people from all over the world standing in a huge line waiting to go in.
 
Old 01-03-2009, 01:23 AM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,667,906 times
Reputation: 7280
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
You're missing the point. The point is that soda is as southern as sweet tea, but it's typically not thought of that way because it has become so global. Still, it's a drink that was developed to appeal to southern palates in southern climates. Coke happens to be the world's most popular soda, and it was developed in Atlanta by an Atlantan. So yes, Atlanta is influencing the world via Coke rather people think of it that way or not. And as another poster so deftly pointed out, many people do think of it that way. I have walked past the Coke musuem in downtown Atlanta many times, and every single time there are people from all over the world standing in a huge line waiting to go in.
Actually Waco,Tx was where the first soft drink was made, which influenced someone in ATL to make a soft drink.
 
Old 01-03-2009, 02:56 AM
 
12,050 posts, read 11,142,366 times
Reputation: 10009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Actually Waco,Tx was where the first soft drink was made, which influenced someone in ATL to make a soft drink.
I know Dr. Pepper was first, but Coke is the most recognized brand in the world, not Dr. Pepper.
 
Old 01-03-2009, 06:28 AM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,042 posts, read 35,003,509 times
Reputation: 15172
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
You're missing the point. The point is that soda is as southern as sweet tea, but it's typically not thought of that way because it has become so global. Still, it's a drink that was developed to appeal to southern palates in southern climates. Coke happens to be the world's most popular soda, and it was developed in Atlanta by an Atlantan. So yes, Atlanta is influencing the world via Coke rather people think of it that way or not. And as another poster so deftly pointed out, many people do think of it that way. I have walked past the Coke musuem in downtown Atlanta many times, and every single time there are people from all over the world standing in a huge line waiting to go in.
The formula was initially created by John 'Doc' Pemberton from Columbus, GA. The formula was purchased by Atlanta businessman Asa Candler shortly thereafter, and the rest is history.
 
Old 01-03-2009, 07:41 AM
 
11,871 posts, read 32,899,856 times
Reputation: 8615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Weren't you just telling jluke that it may just be him and the people he knows, yet you did the same thing? And I honestly think the native Atlantans are idolizing this Coke thing way too much. To most, it's just a drink. I doubt when people drink Coke they thing Atlanta.
It's not just Atlantans who idolize this Coke thing. Until you've seen Chinese lined up around the block in sweltering heat just to buy a bottle of warm Coca-Cola, or until you've talked to an elderly Frenchman who recalls with tears in his eyes being handed a bottle of Coke by a liberating American soldier, or until you see the excitement from a Spaniard and a Belgian who were thrilled to be in the hometown of Coca-Cola, you can't possibly know what I'm talking about.

Don't you remember the hysteria that took place across the country when Coke changed its formula in the 1970s? People were marching in the streets in protest and pouring Coke down drains and gutters. I remember seeing on the news a group in Seattle having anti-New Coke protests. Do you think that for them Coke was "just a drink"? And then when Coke changed their formula back to the original, it made the headlines in national news. CBS interrupted its afternoon soaps for the first time since the JFK assassination to bring the world the good news.

So for a few malcontents in this forum who rarely have anything nice to say about Atlanta, yeah I guess for you Coke is "just a drink." But for many people around the world Coke is iconic.
 
Old 01-03-2009, 08:45 AM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 12,322,731 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Why not since the Atlanta area has one of the largest sprwl in USA to come up to their 5.3 m people, why not throw in SA and Austin together since the two metros are almost continious now. (4 miles apart)
Atlanta's MSA isn't arbitrary at all. The counties included in Atlanta's metro area are included because the commuting patterns warrant it. Not so with Austin and San Antonio--at all. The square mileage of Atlanta's metro is very comparable to that of Houston, but of course, I don't expect to see you admit this. Hell, you probably don't even know it.
 
Old 01-03-2009, 09:00 AM
 
3,219 posts, read 8,003,160 times
Reputation: 1411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Atlanta's MSA isn't arbitrary at all. The counties included in Atlanta's metro area are included because the commuting patterns warrant it. Not so with Austin and San Antonio--at all. The square mileage of Atlanta's metro is very comparable to that of Houston, but of course, I don't expect to see you admit this. Hell, you probably don't even know it.
The commuting patterens in the San Antonio/Austin metro should be included
since this is under consideration as we speak. The East coast area of the USA is always been the most heavily populated region of the country. Based on these facts I always going to give the Southwest and Central cities the handicap edge there. Austin sits in the Texas Triangle and is less than 2.5 hours from Dallas/ 50 minutes from San Antonio and 2 hours away from Houston. What area in Georgia could say that. Sorry the other cities in Ga. have to coexist with Atlanta. Plus Atlanta is the capital and gets extra beenies from the state. Could you imagine if Houston/Dallas or San Antonio was capital of Texas. I do acknowledge role in the South but it is not No. 1 city in the South
 
Old 01-03-2009, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,627 posts, read 27,042,193 times
Reputation: 9576
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
The commuting patterens in the San Antonio/Austin metro should be included
since this is under consideration as we speak. The East coast area of the USA is always been the most heavily populated region of the country. Based on these facts I always going to give the Southwest and Central cities the handicap edge there. Austin sits in the Texas Triangle and is less than 2.5 hours from Dallas/ 50 minutes from San Antonio and 2 hours away from Houston. What area in Georgia could say that. Sorry the other cities in Ga. have to coexist with Atlanta. Plus Atlanta is the capital and gets extra beenies from the state. Could you imagine if Houston/Dallas or San Antonio was capital of Texas. I do acknowledge role in the South but it is not No. 1 city in the South
correct. But San Antonio and Austin combined are not on the level of Atlanta. And it's more than 50 minutes from downtown Austin to downtown San Antonio and besides, that actually hurts your argument. Downtown Dallas to Downtown Fort Worth is 30 minutes. Downtown Baltimore to Downtown DC is 40 minutes. Downtown Miami to Downtown Ft. Lauderdale is also only 30 minutes. Apples to Oranges. Kill the San Antonio and Austin should be combined mess. It won't be combined for decades and you shouldn't want it to combine anyway considering most of that will be sprawl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top