Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 09:51 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,048,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
correct. But San Antonio and Austin combined are not on the level of Atlanta. And it's more than 50 minutes from downtown Austin to downtown San Antonio and besides, that actually hurts your argument. Downtown Dallas to Downtown Fort Worth is 30 minutes. Downtown Baltimore to Downtown DC is 40 minutes. Downtown Miami to Downtown Ft. Lauderdale is also only 30 minutes. Apples to Oranges. Kill the San Antonio and Austin should be combined mess. It won't be combined for decades and you shouldn't want it to combine anyway considering most of that will be sprawl.
I talking metro area and commuting patterns in the metro area. The Austin metro area is only four miles from SA. In the metro area there is a lot of commuting between both cities. Like I said Atlanta is a pretty girl but it is not the prettiest girl at the dance plus it doesn't have a personality

Old 01-03-2009, 09:52 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
The commuting patterens in the San Antonio/Austin metro should be included
since this is under consideration as we speak.
They do not meet the threshold to be combined into a CSA because there is not enough cross-commuting between the two MSAs (it has to be at least 15% of the workforce cross-commuting for the two to be combined).

Quote:
Plus Atlanta is the capital and gets extra beenies from the state.
Actually, Atlanta often gets the shaft from the state of Georgia. The state is still dominated by rural interests (like a lot of Southern states). For instance, the state kicks in NOTHING towards MARTA.

Quote:
Could you imagine if Houston/Dallas or San Antonio was capital of Texas.
Being the capital doesn't amount to a whole lot in and of itself. Sacramento is the capital of California but it is dwarfed by Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, Oakland, etc. Austin wasn't that large until it became an IT hotbed.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
The Austin metro area is only four miles from SA.
Sounds like that's from the extreme outer fringe of one metro area to the extreme outer fringe to the other. It's not like there's only four miles separating the heavily developed parts of each metro. That's being pretty disingenuous.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:02 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,048,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Sounds like that's from the extreme outer fringe of one metro area to the extreme outer fringe to the other. It's not like there's only four miles separating the heavily developed parts of each metro. That's being pretty disingenuous.
Not necessary because the market and suburban cities in that range are so closely tied to the Austin/San Antonio area. College Park to the Alabama area of the metro Atlanta area is how far?

Old 01-03-2009, 10:21 AM

^Obviously they are not tied closely enough for commuting purposes; otherwise, the metros would be combined. People act like Atlanta is paying the Census Bureau to have random counties placed in its metro area or something.

It doesn't matter how far the county in Alabama that's included in Atlanta's metro area is located from College Park because there are enough people in that county commuting into one of the core counties. This is how it works. Sounds like you have some issues that you need to take up with the Census Bureau. Face it, the hard-and-fast data does not warrant having San Antonio and Austin combined into one metro, no matter how much you try to depict both cities being next door to each other.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:15 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Yeah I dont see SA and Austin comming together Yet. I remeber living in the Austin area in a city called Round Rock, and when we would drive to Six Flags SA it would take about an hour. If you lived in South Austin it would take some people about 35mins. But they both have there own character and there own residents, yeah some people commute from SA to Austin and vice versa but, its not enough people to combined the metro areas. But one day I think it'll happen, it'll be just one huge long sprawl fest down I-35 FROM Austin to SA. I dont know if it will be continuous urbanization, but if it is that would be awesome. Then they could make a commuter rail from Austin and its suburbs down to Six Flags and through Schliterbahn in New Braunfles. And neighborhoods inbetween.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:37 AM

2,430 posts, read 2,766,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I've read several times on this board people saying Atlanta is the capital of the south. i highly disagree with this. I think the only cities that could call themselves the capital of their regions are New York City, Chicago and Los Angeles because they are so much bigger than the cities in their region. the south has many major cities and most of them are similar in size and importance.

do you consider Atlanta to be the capital of the south?
I don't know...........but I believe it depends , it has a lot but ,does it have pinto ponies and an Alamo?

Old 01-03-2009, 11:57 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
They do not meet the threshold to be combined into a CSA because there is not enough cross-commuting between the two MSAs (it has to be at least 15% of the workforce cross-commuting for the two to be combined).
Thought it was 25%. Nevertheless, the region isn't even close to 15% much less 25%. In conclusion, they won't be merged for a long time.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Thought it was 25%. Nevertheless, the region isn't even close to 15% much less 25%. In conclusion, they won't be merged for a long time.
You are correct, that was a mistype. It's 25% for MSA and 15% for CSA.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:20 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Um, well San Antonio beets crap Atlanta?charlotte/Miami better shops Domain connects downtown San Antonio in like 2 minutes or 15miles. Atlanta has pretty dress but Austin has San Antonio poop on Atlanta sprawl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City