U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 03:41 PM

342 posts, read 599,094 times

Advertisements

besides the blog is about which city is the capital of the south? not which city is more southern, come on that doesnt even makes sense, everyone thats in the south is southern. they just have different southern life styles, so that doesnt make any sense just like comparing a group of african americans and asking whos the most african american, hell if your black your black that doesnt make sense. whats makes a city souther? who eats the most fried chicken? every city in the south is just as southern as the next but just in a different way

Old 03-01-2009, 04:01 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,657,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondm View Post
besides the blog is about which city is the capital of the south? not which city is more southern, come on that doesnt even makes sense, everyone thats in the south is southern. they just have different southern life styles, so that doesnt make any sense just like comparing a group of african americans and asking whos the most african american, hell if your black your black that doesnt make sense. whats makes a city souther? who eats the most fried chicken? every city in the south is just as southern as the next but just in a different way

And i agree, i think what this boils down to people are saying if the south was the only part of the USA what city would be the capital. Thats like all these vs threads my city is better than your city type stuff. when i feel no city is better than the other. Every city offers different things. And when you go to a different city and it doesnt offer what you like then its either overhyped overrated etc. And then you got people argueing why there city is or isnt overrated all crazy to me

Old 03-01-2009, 04:06 PM

15,989 posts, read 29,779,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
And i agree, i think what this boils down to people are saying if the south was the only part of the USA what city would be the capital. Thats like all these vs threads my city is better than your city type stuff. when i feel no city is better than the other. Every city offers different things. And when you go to a different city and it doesnt offer what you like then its either overhyped overrated etc. And then you got people argueing why there city is or isnt overrated all crazy to me
This is how it works. Georgia is a southern state, plain and simple. It has always been known as the south and always will be. States like Texas and Florida aren't always identified with the south. Northern Florida is considered southern, but southern florida is more tropical/carribbean. Texas is known as having influences from the West/South/Midwest/Mexico. Houston being located in Texas makes it hard for people to see it as a southern city, same with Miami and Dallas.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:26 PM

yeah i totally understand, but have people on here basing this off of what city is the most southern and that doesnt makes any sense. one other thing spade! what standered are you comparing dallas and houston on? because anyone with one eye can see houston and dallas arent on the same level especially when it come to texas cities. if it was like 10 years ago i would understand and agree with you but this is 2009. when it comes to texas cities houston is in a league of their own and in the next few years houston is going to separate from the pack even more. ok now houston is always compared to nyc,la, and chi and mentioned in the same category. so whyb in your eyes houston is the same category as dallas, atl phila? if anything, if you dont want to say houston is not with nyc, la, and chi. houston is the second tier then alone, with the 3rd tier consisting of dallas, miami and phila but not with houston

Old 03-01-2009, 04:27 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,657,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
This is how it works. Georgia is a southern state, plain and simple. It has always been known as the south and always will be. States like Texas and Florida aren't always identified with the south. Northern Florida is considered southern, but southern florida is more tropical/carribbean. Texas is known as having influences from the West/South/Midwest/Mexico. Houston being located in Texas makes it hard for people to see it as a southern city, same with Miami and Dallas.
But in reality there souther regardless where there located im from Miami and its just as southern it just looks tropical because of where its located Florida is a southern state its not northern eastern or midwest west its southern. ANd its only people on here that keep trying to define it as something else.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:35 PM

jluke that makes absolutely no sense, when congress, senators, govenors get together to discuss things. its all the south. no one says georgia isnt the south but there is not city or state thats more southern than another. so because of the civil war we tied together as the south until the world ends so get over it.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:01 PM

18,207 posts, read 25,896,902 times
Quote:
yeah i totally understand, but have people on here basing this off of what city is the most southern and that doesnt makes any sense. one other thing spade! what standered are you comparing dallas and houston on? because anyone with one eye can see houston and dallas arent on the same level especially when it come to texas cities. if it was like 10 years ago i would understand and agree with you but this is 2009. when it comes to texas cities houston is in a league of their own and in the next few years houston is going to separate from the pack even more. ok now houston is always compared to nyc,la, and chi and mentioned in the same category. so whyb in your eyes houston is the same category as dallas, atl phila? if anything, if you dont want to say houston is not with nyc, la, and chi. houston is the second tier then alone, with the 3rd tier consisting of dallas, miami and phila but not with houston
I'm sorry. Maybe you need to get out of Houston or Texas for that matter for a minute. Maybe you need to observe other cities and see the advantages that they have. Houston is NOT on the level of New York (especially), Chicago, and Los Angeles. It's economy is not as big, it's population is not as big, it's amenities is not as big, etc. etc. Houston is not on the level of those three. Houston is not even one of the top 5 largest television or radio markets and it's barely a top 10 radio market. DFW is larger than Houston in both.

What makes you think Houston and Dallas are on different levels? Dallas is the technology, financial, transportation hub of the South-Central region of the US and especially Texas. It is the home of one of the top 5 largest airports in the US. It has the 3rd most fortune 500 companies in the country just a couple shy of Houston. It's GDP is similar to that of Houston. DFW is growing slightly faster than Houston-Galveston and DFW has a much more extensive rail system and is far ahead of Houston right now. So no, Houston is not on another level. This is not to say Houston doesn't have their advantages as well.

Besides, even if you somehow wasn't on the level of those cities. You still are on the level with Washington, Boston, and San Francisco. Face it, the city is not as powerful as you think it is yet. It has the potential. But it's not there yet. They have a lot of work to do.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Houston is definitely steps above Atlanta so is Dallas.
How so? Oh I know why. Because they are in Texas and Atlanta is in Georgia.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
That's not the point that I or jluke is making. Atlanta historically and culturally has more connections to most of the south than either Houston, Dallas, or Miami mainly because the other three are too far from the majority of the South. Not to mention that the other three cities have not put their names out there throughout the South.

Atlanta is generally in the conservation from Louisiana north to Kentucky east to North Carolina and South to Northern Florida. Houston does not even reach the tip of anyone's tounge East of Alabama. Same with Dallas. Miami is the same way North of Georgia and West of Mississippi. It's just the way it is. This is why I say Atlanta is the CENTER of the South. Not capital. Those are two different meanings.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:49 PM

2,893 posts, read 4,206,801 times
Spade, I tried to rep you bruh, but I have to spread it around first. Anyways, you presented your rebuttals superbly!

Raymondm, when trying to make a point like; "when it comes to texas cities houston is in a league of their own and in the next few years houston is going to separate from the pack even more". Explain your reasoning by giving examples. This would make you come across as at least minutly credible. That advice was free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City