U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 07:08 AM

12,822 posts, read 19,296,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldbfree007 View Post
I am so tired of these Atlanta Vs. Houston comparisons. both are different cities......Houston definitely has the brighter future for obvious reasons. Houston is more of a powerhouse than ATL....no question about it....and I dont need any sources to back it up....its understood. ATL vs Charlotte is a more fair comparison....and plus Atlanta's growth is slowing...so no more Houston comparisons please.
Obvious to whom?
You don't need any because you can't find any.
Atlanta vs Charlotte? Rubbish...Atlanta is more than twice the size of Charlotte.
If you want to disinvite ATL vs HOU comparisons, then stop making them yourself.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:13 AM

15,831 posts, read 19,706,825 times
The only reason people keep saying ATL is right up there with Houston is because of how recognized ATL is,and because it got the Olympics. I'm sorry,but ATL is not as important as Houston. We wouldn't even be discussing this if it never even got the Olympics.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:18 AM

12,822 posts, read 19,296,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
The only reason people keep saying ATL is right up there with Houston is because of how recognized ATL is,and because it got the Olympics. I'm sorry,but ATL is not as important as Houston. We wouldn't even be discussing this if it never even got the Olympics.
LOL and I guess we should say that nobody would where Houston is if it weren't for Urban Cowboy and Gilley's.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
LOL and I guess we should say that nobody would where Houston is if it weren't for Urban Cowboy and Gilley's.
Or NASA or Astrodome or it being pretty much The Energy Capital of the World. This exactly what I mean, Atlanta tries to hard to be like other cities while Houston is more laid-back and still is a bad ass. That's why I compared it to Chicago.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:46 AM

8,190 posts, read 6,404,768 times
Quote:
Or NASA or Astrodome or it being pretty much The Energy Capital of the World.
Give Dubai a few years.

Quote:
This exactly what I mean, Atlanta tries to hard to be like other cities while Houston is more laid-back and still is a bad ass. That's why I compared it to Chicago.
Who is Atlanta trying to be like, exactly?

Old 09-25-2008, 10:00 AM

2,133 posts, read 4,017,213 times
Quote:
Dude-give it a rest. Seriously. Your arguments are completely irrational and unfounded. Both Houston and Atlanta are roughly the same size with similar patters of growth. You have the Inner Loop area, we have the ITP (Inside the Perimeter) area. You have Midtown, we have Midtown. You have Uptown, we have Buckhead. You have Sugar Land, we have Alpharetta.

And as for this "important" thing. Fine, you're very important--whatever that means. As long as it makes you feel special.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:24 AM

155 posts, read 488,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldbfree007 View Post
the diversity to have the same international influence which is vital in the new more global modern economy.....even if you look at it without bias...Houston beats Atlanta in almost all relevant areas......like I said before no comparison.
What does diversity really have to do with anything? How diverse is Shanghai, Beijing, or Moscow really? Houston has more hispanics (Mexicans) because it's closer to Mexico. And to say that Atlanta is only known because of the olympics is insane. Most people under 20 don't even remember the Atlanta Olympics.

Atlanta and Houston are both diverse international cities that are huge economic power houses. However, neither have the global recognition of San Francisco or Boston...yet.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Dude-give it a rest. Seriously. Your arguments are completely irrational and unfounded. Both Houston and Atlanta are roughly the same size with similar patters of growth. You have the Inner Loop area, we have the ITP (Inside the Perimeter) area. You have Midtown, we have Midtown. You have Uptown, we have Buckhead. You have Sugar Land, we have Alpharetta.

And as for this "important" thing. Fine, you're very important--whatever that means. As long as it makes you feel special.
Did I even bring up the inner loop??? I'm talking important as were literally more important than Atlanta. I'm not dogging ATL, because they plan more better than Houston in some areas like public transit,urban planning,etc. I just honestly think ATL isn't on Houston's level when it comes to importance.Your comparing Atlanta=Black mecca,busiest airport,host of 1996 Olympics,home of CNN,home of coke to Houston=Diverse city,Home of NASA,One of the worlds Biggest/busiest ports,Largest concentrations of Hospitals,Astrodome.

I just don't see how Atlanta is on the same level as Houston.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:29 AM

17 posts, read 24,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That's very interesting.
That's interesting? It's a fact of life here, this is Old West soil where cowboys & gunslingers once roamed, some of the things you would find in Georgia and other southern states you would be hard pressed to find in Texas.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:31 AM

8,182 posts, read 11,386,430 times
How did this become yet another peeing contest between Houston and Atlanta(or just insert any city)?

Aren't there enough threads like that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City