U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 06:46 AM

14,006 posts, read 21,956,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondm View Post
i think polo89 is the most accurat, wow he/she nailed it, and is the only person that made since on here so far.
Im a he. lol.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:34 PM

2,945 posts, read 3,967,126 times
I voted for Atlanta. Miami and the South Florida Region is the largest metropolitan area in the Southern U.S., but culturally, it doesn't resemble the rest of the South at all. Dallas is the next largest metro, but it has some Western and Midwestern characteristics that disqualify it from being the capital in my opinion. That leaves Atlanta, which exemplifies everything Southern and is very cosmopolitan at the same time.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:44 PM

18,211 posts, read 25,902,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
I voted for Atlanta. Miami and the South Florida Region is the largest metropolitan area in the Southern U.S., but culturally, it doesn't resemble the rest of the South at all. Dallas is the next largest metro, but it has some Western and Midwestern characteristics that disqualify it from being the capital in my opinion. That leaves Atlanta, which exemplifies everything Southern and is very cosmopolitan at the same time.
Dallas is actually the largest metro in the Southern US. Miami is actually the smallest in the South. Oh and did you forget Houston?

Old 03-15-2009, 02:51 PM

106 posts, read 333,042 times
Jackson, MS.

No JK. Probally Atlanta. It was really chill and awesome.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Dallas is actually the largest metro in the Southern US. Miami is actually the smallest in the South. Oh and did you forget Houston?
List of United States urban areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Miami is the smallest city in the South? Smaller than Nashville, Knoxville, Memphis, Jackson, Mobile, Birmingham, Charleston, Charlotte, Richmond, Little Rock, Louisville, New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Jacksonville, and Tampa? OK. Whatever you say.

I wouldn't really consider Houston to be a Southern city either. Houston is often considered a Southwestern city like San Antonio, El Paso, Austin, Albuquerque, or Phoenix.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:56 PM

15,989 posts, read 29,784,428 times
Quote:
Miami is the smallest city in the South? Smaller than Nashville, Knoxville, Memphis, Jackson, Mobile, Birmingham, Charleston, Charlotte, Richmond, Little Rock, Louisville, New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Jacksonville, and Tampa? OK. Whatever you say.

I wouldn't really consider Houston to be a Southern city either. Houston is often considered a Southwestern city like San Antonio, El Paso, Austin, Albuquerque, or Phoenix.
That is definatly a first. Houston is even more southern than Dallas.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:11 PM

9,223 posts, read 13,446,220 times
Quote:
Good Lord, he meant smallest out of the South's top four (Dallas, Houston, Miami, then Atlanta). Atlanta is probably ahead of Miami right now.

Quote:
Since when? This is the very first time I've heard someone consider Houston Southwestern.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Good Lord, he meant smallest out of the South's top four (Dallas, Houston, Miami, then Atlanta). Atlanta is probably ahead of Miami right now.

Since when? This is the very first time I've heard someone consider Houston Southwestern.
Southwestern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-15-2009, 07:14 PM

9,223 posts, read 13,446,220 times
Quote:
Oh wow. You definitely showed me there. Did you know that Delaware is considered a Southern state by the Census? So, I guess Beaumont, Texas is Southwestern (the same as El Paso), right? I take it you've never been to Houston, because Houston rarely has any characteristics of a Southwestern city.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:00 PM

1,673 posts, read 1,480,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I guess it comes down how you want to define "largest". MSA wise DFW definitely is with 6.1 million.

When it comes down to trading areas in the south, DFW is also the largest (hey you win again ). Charlotte is #2 (just a little behind DFW), ATL is #3, Tampa is #4, Miami #5, and Houston #6. Now before any of you jump on these statistics, you BETTER know what a major trading area is (it is not a MSA)!

Nationally: NYC #1, LA/San Diego #2, San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose #3, Chicago #4, Dallas/FW #5, Charlotte/Greenville/Greensboro/Raleigh #6, Detroit #7, Boston/Providence #8, Philidelphia #9, D.C./Baltimore #10, ATL #11, Tampa/St. Petersburg #12, Miami/Ft. Lauderdale #13, Houston #14, Minneapolis/St. Paul #15. Enjoy those tidbits from the 2007 Commercial and Marketing Atlas Guide!!! These rankings are based on total population in their MTA (i.e. trade influence).

Now these rankings are from the end of 2006, and looking at growth patterns, DFW is most likely still King, but Charlotte MTA did close by just scanning the population growth numbers in the MTA. Houston most likely passed Miami since 2008 wasn't a kind year for Miami's MTA growth compared to Houston MTA's. Those are the only cities with numbers close enough to switch rankings.

For a more complex trade and influence analysis, you can declare Urban regions as concentric circles of 50 mile increments from an urban center, and begin doing comparisons. True you can find a number that you like in a city vs city war, but this method is applied in business modeling.

For example, If you do the 650 mile comparison, Charlotte and ATL have more trade influence possibilities then NYC, but that is taking it to some extremes (or number spinning) which is mainly used in Market data analysis for distribution planning (one reason Charlotte/ATL are major distribution hubs). ~140 million people live within 650 miles of ATL and Charlotte. I'll let you guess which one has more within 650 miles.

Again, I don't want to get into an arguement (in this thread) as it is used by the Chamber of Commerce and describes influence/total population in a major trading area (set by Rand Mcnally who is the standard), and this is just the facts they have and I am putting them out there as food for thought.

Last edited by Maabus1999; 03-15-2009 at 08:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City