U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 02:34 PM

10,167 posts, read 16,701,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Not one Texan outside of Houston consider Houston the capital of Texas. DALLAS is the most known city in Texas, but we dont consider it the capital of Texas. Austin is the capital of Texas. Both Dallas & Houston economies are fairing much better than Atlanta economy. Of the three economies Atlanta is the weakest link. The state of Texas is doing much better than the rest of the south and the entire U.S. for that matter during this recession. You will never here anyone from the South Central United States----Arkansas, Oaklahoma, Louisanana,or Texas----- call or refer to Atlanta as the capital of the south. They would probably seriously think you are joking.
Great post and points!

I am wondering if this thread has not broken a record on numbers of pages filled up. Hell, I bet there are master degree thesis' that don't go on THIS long! LOL

Anyway, my last one was gawd knows how many pages ago, but to bring it up to date, I was one of those who got on board with the bunch that maintains there simply is no capital of the South. At least not anymore.

The reason being -- as you and so many others either state directly or else allude to -- because "the South" is no longer the Old Confederacy or even a region whose boundaries are totally agreed upon.

Now, I will state for the record, to me (IMHO), it will always be those 11 states, plus Kentucky, Oklahoma, and West Virginia. Gradients of "Southerness" to be sure....but at the same time, constitute a "region" which -- to one degree or another -- the said states share MUCH more with one another than they do -- in terms of history and culture -- -- with any other in the United States.

But back to the OT? The South has never been a monolithic region. Hell, far as that goes, even in the "Civil War" days it wasn't. There was the eastern, western and trans-Missisippi departments.

What DID -- and does -- exist-- is/was a certain common-denominator of states/people in the southeastern and south-central United States who share(d) a unique history and common bond. A self-identification with an entity called "the South" as the linking factor. Yet? Always recognized amongst the natives were the differences within.

Richmond became the capital of the Confederacy for strategic reasons...and that Montgomery, Alabama was just too hot and humid to conduct business in the new nation. Atlanta -- althought undeniably Old South -- got a lot of its accolades via GWTW fame. Plus, that the phrase "New South" originated there (Atlanta...during a Chamber of Commerce meeting). Perhaps a bit envious, Dallasites touted the "Dixie Classic" football game (which evolved into the "Cotton Bowl") and its post-war growth, as being the capital of the "New South". Galveston, Texas touted itself as the "Wall Street of the South". Until relatively recently, Houston was never anything but a large Southern city...

All the time though, coming back the full circle, Southerners don't generally recognize --I don't think -- a common capital.

Certainly and without qualm nor reservation, those of us in what is culturally the "western South" and geographically the "South Central" part of the country, identify with and consider ourselves to be, Southerners. And proudly so. However, we don't in the least see Atlanta as anything beyond a nostalgic connection with our very real Southern roots.

I hasten to add this is NOT a slam at Atlanta. Personally, I very much respect and admire its history and culture. I want to visit it someday...and certainly see Stone Mountain. And think I can say with confidence that most native urban Texans would feel MUCH more at home in Atlanta than in Chicago, New York, or Los Angeles...

I don't really know WHERE the "dividing line" is...but roughly speaking, I would say the Mississippi River. There is a western and eastern (Old classic) South. Atlanta is undisputedly the capital of the latter. Houston or Dallas are arguably the capital of the fomer.

The whole equasion equals to that:

There could NEVER have been a true capital of the South. And there still isn't. Important thing is that it is still all The South!

Old 07-11-2009, 02:51 PM

327 posts, read 429,139 times
#1. Objectivists love large cities and skyscrapers, and thus tend to settle down in the greatest, most urban ones.

#2. New York City and Atlanta are the best represented cities on the Atlas Shrugged fansite on Facebookóby far.

Conclusion: New York City and Atlanta are the "capitals" of the north and south.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:51 PM

21 posts, read 31,167 times
I say Atlanta because like other capitals in other regions its more known internationally than the cities around it. Do you think somebody from Germany is going to know Phoexnix, St louis or Chicago, Philadephia or New york City, Dallas or Atlanta? Miami is the only southern city you can argue for the title, but even then its more famous to the Carrebian and South America. (I love charlotte more than any other city)

Old 07-11-2009, 08:06 PM

18,266 posts, read 26,031,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIZENC View Post
I say Atlanta because like other capitals in other regions its more known internationally than the cities around it. Do you think somebody from Germany is going to know Phoexnix, St louis or Chicago, Philadephia or New york City, Dallas or Atlanta? Miami is the only southern city you can argue for the title, but even then its more famous to the Carrebian and South America. (I love charlotte more than any other city)
Actually yes, I do.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:28 PM

7,848 posts, read 17,858,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIZENC View Post
Come on...Atlanta hosted a very recent Olympic Games. You don't think that in itself is more than enough to garner the city MAJOR international recognition? That's not to mention the recognition Atlanta had prior to the Olympics, like through Coca-Cola (sold in 200 nations and the most recognized brand in the world), CNN (airs in 212 countries), Gone with the Wind (one of the most popular books and movies of all time), Hartsfield Airport (world's busiest), Martin Luther King Jr. (worldwide human rights icon), Habitat for Humanity and CARE (international humanitarian organizations), etc. etc. etc.

Miami is also world-famous for beaches...Miami Beach is widely considered one of the most glamorous destinations in the world - and not just in South America and the Caribbean.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:27 AM

6,846 posts, read 12,444,133 times
oh wow. this thread is back?! i feel like i created an unstoppable monster.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:59 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,230,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
oh wow. This thread is back?! I feel like i created an unstoppable monster.
lol:d

Old 07-12-2009, 04:38 AM

11,300 posts, read 16,475,743 times
I'd say Atlanta with Houston and Miami tied for second place.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:53 AM

15,989 posts, read 29,890,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I'd say Atlanta with Houston and Miami tied for second place.
You can't include Houston, Dallas, and Miami if Atlanta is the winner.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:59 PM

9,223 posts, read 13,494,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Come on...Atlanta hosted a very recent Olympic Games. You don't think that in itself is more than enough to garner the city MAJOR international recognition? That's not to mention the recognition Atlanta had prior to the Olympics, like through Coca-Cola (sold in 200 nations and the most recognized brand in the world), CNN (airs in 212 countries), Gone with the Wind (one of the most popular books and movies of all time), Hartsfield Airport (world's busiest), Martin Luther King Jr. (worldwide human rights icon), Habitat for Humanity and CARE (international humanitarian organizations), etc. etc. etc.

Miami is also world-famous for beaches...Miami Beach is widely considered one of the most glamorous destinations in the world - and not just in South America and the Caribbean.
I hope you know he was agreeing with what you were saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City