U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 10:19 AM

7,732 posts, read 11,769,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Houston, Dallas, Miami, San Antonio,New Orleans, Austin, EL Paso, and Tampa residents do not think Atlanta is the capitol of the South. Texas cities are considered Southwest
New Orleans, Tampa & Miami are directly impacted by Atlanta simply due to the fact that the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta governs their respective areas. The Bank even maintains branches in New Orleans & Miami.

More people fly between South Florida and Atlanta every day than all but 2 city pairs in the U.S., including the heavily traveled Houston-Dallas market.

Any person in the corporate world in those 3 cities will tell you without a doubt that Atlanta is indeed the capital of this region.

Every single Federal Agency out there (with the exception of NASA) - including the Courts, governs the entire State of Florida - as well as a big chunk of the SE, from their offices in Atlanta.

Try again.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:26 AM

15,989 posts, read 29,795,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
New Orleans, Tampa & Miami are directly impacted by Atlanta simply due to the fact that the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta governs their respective areas. The Bank even maintains branches in New Orleans & Miami.

More people fly between South Florida and Atlanta every day than all but 2 city pairs in the U.S., including the heavily traveled Houston-Dallas market.

Any person in the corporate world in those 3 cities will tell you without a doubt that Atlanta is indeed the capital of this region

Every single Federal Agency out there (with the exception of NASA) - including the Courts, governs the entire State of Florida - as well as a big chunk of the SE, from their offices in Atlanta.

Try again.

Are you including Houston and Dallas in that??? Also you'll have a very different answer from people in NO. Lots of Houston's companies have strong connections with NO, especially since NO lots some of its jobs to Houston. People travel back and forth between these two cities all the time. Each city influences eachother a lot.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:28 AM

4,230 posts, read 8,875,656 times
Quote:
...and because of that people in these places thing Atlanta is the capital of the south? Although it is a direct impact, few people know that or care (even though they should).

Quote:
How many are actually going to Atlanta?

Quote:
Any person in the corporate world in those 3 cities will tell you without a doubt that Atlanta is indeed the capital of this region.
That would depend on what industries dominate each city.

Quote:

Try again.
imaterry stated that people in these areas don't consider ATL to be the capital. No matter how important Atlanta is, people outside of maybe Alabama, the Carolinas, upper Florida, and some of Tennessee don't think of Atlanta as being that important to them.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:31 AM

20,908 posts, read 32,910,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Are you including Houston and Dallas in that??? Also you'll have a very different answer from people in NO. Lots of Houston's companies have strong connections with NO, especially since NO lots some of its jobs to Houston. People travel back and forth between these two cities all the time. Each city influences eachother a lot.
I wouldn't, and I don't think anyone here disputes that they are not important cities in their own right. I think that the reason that they are not garnering more votes here is because it would appear that there is no clear concensus on C-D as to whether these cities lie within 'the South' or not. With Atlanta, that point is not debatable.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
No. Please note that I specifically mentioned NO, Tampa & Miami in response to one of imaterry78259's drive-by posts.

While the connections between Atlanta, Dallas & Houston are strong and deep, I'm not delusional enough to ever think we hold any influential sway over those two cities.

And while I realize NO and Houston are VERY tied to one another, in certain categories, Atlanta very much has influence over NO.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
No. Please note that I specifically mentioned NO, Tampa & Miami in response to one of imaterry78259's drive-by posts.

While the connections between Atlanta, Dallas & Houston are strong and deep, I'm not delusional enough to ever think we hold any influential sway over those two cities.

And while I realize NO and Houston are VERY tied to one another, in certain categories, Atlanta very much has influence over NO.
I agree with the reserve bank, but after that how so?

Old 11-11-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
...and because of that people in these places thing Atlanta is the capital of the south? Although it is a direct impact, few people know that or care (even though they should).

I didn't claim anyone thought that. It just happens to be true.

How many are actually going to Atlanta?

All of them. The figures do not include connecting passengers.

That would depend on what industries dominate each city.

I am speaking of the overall corporate world. While I know this does not include the obvious oil related business links between NO & Houston, I stand by my statement.

imaterry stated that people in these areas don't consider ATL to be the capital. No matter how important Atlanta is, people outside of maybe Alabama, the Carolinas, upper Florida, and some of Tennessee don't think of Atlanta as being that important to them.
And you know this how? I respectfully disagree, again focusing on the corporate world.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
And you know this how? I respectfully disagree, again focusing on the corporate world.
Are you saying that it is true that Atlanta is the capital of the south or that people look at it as the capital?

Either way i disagree. Until somebody can prove how Atlanta influences the "entire" south, I can't see how it is the capital.

cap⋅i⋅tal1  [kap-i-tl]
–noun
1. the city or town that is the official seat of government in a country, state, etc.: Tokyo is the capital of Japan.
2. a city regarded as being of special eminence in some field of activity: New York is the dance capital of the world.
3. capital letter.
4. the wealth, whether in money or property, owned or employed in business by an individual, firm, corporation, etc.
5. an accumulated stock of such wealth.
6. any form of wealth employed or capable of being employed in the production of more wealth.
7. Accounting.
a. assets remaining after deduction of liabilities; the net worth of a business.
b. the ownership interest in a business.
8. any source of profit, advantage, power, etc.; asset: His indefatigable drive is his greatest capital.
9. capitalists as a group or class (distinguished from labor ): High taxation has reduced the spending power of capital.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:54 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,395,267 times
THERE IS NO CAPITAL OF THE SOUTH. END OF STORY.

Atlanta is the most popular city in the South, but that's it. It goes no further than that.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
THERE IS NO CAPITAL OF THE SOUTH. END OF STORY.

Atlanta is the most popular city in the South, but that's it. It goes no further than that.
THANK YOU!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City