U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-13-2009, 04:53 PM
 
395 posts, read 470,266 times
Reputation: 354

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Unfortunately, Atlantans don't realize that half the cities never even think about Atlanta unless their sports team is playing them
Some City-Data hobbyists don't realize that in the REAL world, most people don't sit around "thinking about" other cities. ON City-Data, however, the moderators had to issue a cease-and-desist order on "vs. Atlanta" threads.

"half the cities never even think about..." ??? Scary that people are giving entire cities brains; it is simply not that serious.

 
Old 11-13-2009, 05:01 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 17,801,972 times
Reputation: 2762
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
You're just as welcome as I am. Just go back a 141 pages of this thread. Since I've been on C-D, I'd say that the number of ATL bashers vs ATL boosters has balanced out. For every post to down Atlanta there is one to prove a point. I do get tired of the comments about NOLA and even post up to defend it depending on how negative the post is, but it's to the point where you don't even have to say something negative about Atlanta to start a trending topic. If I or somebody else even comments on the density of Atlanta (has happened 3 times that I know of) someone will jump to the defense and a long argument will follow. If somebody makes a thread about the south and fails to give Atlanta it's so-called "props", someone will pop in and say "well Atlanta should be..., Altanta has..., How could you not have Atlanta..." like Atlanta is the alpha and omega of all things southern. Let Houston get acknowledged for something southern and watch how fast an Atlanta vs Houston argument forms. Comment on a city being spread out and watch who gets up in arms. Houston, Dallas, and many other sunbelt cities face the exact same scrutiny as Atlanta on this forum, but you don't see the issue stressed out as much as Atlanta.

Atlanta is a beautiful city and a very important one, but IMO it is not half of what some on C-D make it out to be.



You do know that the census designation for the that includea Georgia also includes D.C. and Maryland right?
I can think of more than one occasion where you have fiercly defended New Orleans when it was accused of being less dense and more spread out than you believe it to be. What's the difference in your defending your city and someone else defending his/hers?

You can think the way you want, of course...but reality is that there are many more haters of these cities than there are mindless boosters. Of course there are some that will sing the praises of their city to no end and they do get irritating...and Atlanta has it's share of those. But most of us just defend the truth about our cities - including yourself.

I'll end on the same note you did...New Orleans has some great qualities, but it certainly isn't the city that many people would have everyone believe it to be. (Isn't that true of every city on Earth?)
 
Old 11-13-2009, 05:06 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 17,801,972 times
Reputation: 2762
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
Some City-Data hobbyists don't realize that in the REAL world, most people don't sit around "thinking about" other cities. ON City-Data, however, the moderators had to issue a cease-and-desist order on "vs. Atlanta" threads.

"half the cities never even think about..." ??? Scary that people are giving entire cities brains; it is simply not that serious.
That was exactly my first thought when I read the post by imaterry78259. Do people really sit around thinking about any cities other than the one where they live?

See, WestbankNOLA...these are the kinds of statements I'm speaking of. "Unfortunately, Atlantans don't realize that half the cities never even think about Atlanta unless their sports team is playing them". Nobody said that people are constantly thinking about Atlanta, but people come up with these snide little statements constantly on city-data. I don't really know why for sure, but it reeks of an inferiority complex.
 
Old 11-13-2009, 07:52 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, United States
4,230 posts, read 8,871,198 times
Reputation: 1398
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I can think of more than one occasion where you have fiercly defended New Orleans when it was accused of being less dense and more spread out than you believe it to be. What's the difference in your defending your city and someone else defending his/hers?
Like I said, I defend it depending on the post. Read any of the few post on here that talk about NOLA and a negative comment comes up and see how many time I've actually defended it. If you read through all of my post, you will find posts where I go in on the negatives of New Orleans and complain of how I hate it at times. That density argument works both ways as the argument was between you and I, and was actually about the density of Atlanta.

I know I go overboard on the NOLA posts at times, but mostly when I'm defending it or trying to drive a point. People will jump to Atlanta's defense over the most neutral of statements. You could compliment Atlanta is some cases and someone will take it as a threat.

Quote:
You can think the way you want, of course...but reality is that there are many more haters of these cities than there are mindless boosters. Of course there are some that will sing the praises of their city to no end and they do get irritating...and Atlanta has it's share of those. But most of us just defend the truth about our cities - including yourself.
partially agreed, but it's to the point now that for every idiot who makes a post simply to degrade Atlanta or the south, there is one that will hijack a thread to praise it.

Quote:
I'll end on the same note you did...New Orleans has some great qualities, but it certainly isn't the city that many people would have everyone believe it to be. (Isn't that true of every city on Earth?)
Fully agreed.

Quote:
See, WestbankNOLA...these are the kinds of statements I'm speaking of. "Unfortunately, Atlantans don't realize that half the cities never even think about Atlanta unless their sports team is playing them". Nobody said that people are constantly thinking about Atlanta, but people come up with these snide little statements constantly on city-data. I don't really know why for sure, but it reeks of an inferiority complex.
They way "some' claim that Atlanta influences the "South" from end to end, it's all but saying that everyone else thinks of Atlanta.

Inferiority complex. Good one
Sounds like something I would say.
 
Old 11-13-2009, 09:23 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 17,801,972 times
Reputation: 2762
Okay, that was a pretty fair post. The only point I would discuss further is that most people on this site only defend their city depending on the post. Of course every city has a few fanatics that won't admit that their city has faults, but most of us are not living in a fantasy land - and I can't say that I've noticed more fanatics from Atlanta than from any other city. Just like you, most of us know when to come back with a corrective/defensive post and when to let it go.
 
Old 02-14-2010, 01:34 PM
 
74 posts, read 217,169 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I think alot of people look at Dallas as being the spokesperson of Texas but i think that will soon change to Austin representing Texas more.

I agree. I think dallas is the represenative of texas as far as texas CULTURE. I think houston represents texas as far as economics and national attention(media, getting noticed,etc.)
 
Old 02-14-2010, 01:48 PM
 
1,645 posts, read 3,097,141 times
Reputation: 1367
I don't really think there is a capital. Does the North have a capital? One could argue that it is New York City, but that is only the Mid-Atlantic, and the South is a much larger region area-wise than the Northeast if you consider all the states Virginia and southward, Texas and eastward, Southern.

Houston and Dallas are arguably going to become the most powerful cities in the South within the not too distant future, but what connection do people living in South Carolina or Tennessee really feel to these areas?
 
Old 02-14-2010, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,207 posts, read 25,896,902 times
Reputation: 8963
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonboi22 View Post
I agree. I think dallas is the represenative of texas as far as texas CULTURE. I think houston represents texas as far as economics and national attention(media, getting noticed,etc.)
How? Dallas gets most of the media attention when talking about Texas. I would also put getting noticed to Dallas as well.
 
Old 02-14-2010, 06:10 PM
 
Location: Queens, NY
654 posts, read 1,101,963 times
Reputation: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
I don't really think there is a capital. Does the North have a capital? One could argue that it is New York City, but that is only the Mid-Atlantic, and the South is a much larger region area-wise than the Northeast if you consider all the states Virginia and southward, Texas and eastward, Southern.

Houston and Dallas are arguably going to become the most powerful cities in the South within the not too distant future, but what connection do people living in South Carolina or Tennessee really feel to these areas?
Very good point.
 
Old 02-14-2010, 06:45 PM
 
Location: Houston
6,846 posts, read 12,392,242 times
Reputation: 5771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
How? Dallas gets most of the media attention when talking about Texas. I would also put getting noticed to Dallas as well.
Dallas represents an old stereotype of Texas that hopefully goes away soon. Most of the world viewed Texas from that dumb TV show "Dallas" and hopefully this generation and the ones to come will never have seen that show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top