Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 07:50 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,787,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Maybe back in the day, before Florida had a population boom, and before professional sports teams started making there way into the state, but NOW DAYS, ever since Florida's population boom, and the growth of the colleges up there, and the creation of more Florida Pro teams, it seems like North Florida is more influenced by the rest of the state South of it. I'd venture to say that North Florida influences South Georgia NOW, more than vice versa. There are no major cities in South Georgia(with the exception of Savannah), where as North Florida has Jacksonville, Tallahassee, and Pensacola. I posted a Sphere Of Influence map, and on that map it shows that the North Florida cities have influence over South Georgia. Especially the number of Southern Georgians who venture down to the Florida panhandle for beaches, and for education at there colleges.
Actually Augusta is the second largest city in Georgia.Not Savannah.This it is the largest city in South Georgia with over 200,000 in the city and over 540,000 in the metro.

Jacksonville is probably one of the LEAST most influential cities anywhere.
As far as schools go.In South GA,there are:Georgia Southern University,Valdosta State University,Medical College of Georgia,Albany State University,Savannah State University,S.C.A.D.)Savannah College of Art and Design),Mercer University,Fort Valley State University,Columbus State University.

Not to mention a city like Columbus although smaller has several Forturn Companies headquarters there.Such as"Aflac,TSYS.Synovus,Carmike Cinemas and the home of the U.S. Infantry@ Fort Benning which is absolutely HUGE and growing.

Tallahassee or Jacksonville can barely claim that and they are considerably larger.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:58 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Actually Augusta is the second largest city in Georgia.Not Savannah.This it is the largest city in South Georgia with over 200,000 in the city and over 540,000 in the metro.

Jacksonville is probably one of the LEAST most influential cities anywhere.
As far as schools go.In South GA,there are:Georgia Southern University,Valdosta State University,Medical College of Georgia,Albany State University,Savannah State University,S.C.A.D.)Savannah College of Art and Design),Mercer University,Fort Valley State University,Columbus State University.

Not to mention a city like Columbus although smaller has several Forturn Companies headquarters there.Such as"Aflac,TSYS.Synovus,Carmike Cinemas and the home of the U.S. Infantry@ Fort Benning which is absolutely HUGE and growing.

Tallahassee or Jacksonville can barely claim that and they are considerably larger.
Did you not even look at the Sphere Of Influence map that I posted?

Old 08-15-2010, 11:02 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,286 times
Jacksonville actually does have some influence on Savannah. Had a college buddy from Savannah who always talked about going to Jacksonville for different things, etc. He made it sound like Jacksonville was the place to be and that everything major came out of Jacksonville. I mean really what would you expect since it is the closest larger city?

Old 08-15-2010, 11:25 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Jacksonville actually does have some influence on Savannah. Had a college buddy from Savannah who always talked about going to Jacksonville for different things, etc. He made it sound like Jacksonville was the place to be and that everything major came out of Jacksonville. I mean really what would you expect since it is the closest larger city?
Exactly. I've driven down that way on I-95. It seemed like J-Ville was the largest city for miles. How could anyone deny it's influence?

Old 08-15-2010, 11:29 PM

725 posts, read 1,509,961 times
Quote:
Actually I lived in Savannah for several years... The only influence Jacksonville has is military . Atlanta is definetly the most influental place in the region...

It's were everybody shops; They have several colleges that are connected to Atlanta... Georgia Tech, Savannah college of Art and design, etc.; A lot of jobs in the area are connected to Atlanta and a lot of Atlanta companies are there; That's were most people go on vacation; that's were most of the vistors come from; That's were everybody talks about moving; More Braves, Falcons, fans, etc...;

They had the Jacksonville Jaguars instead of the Falcons one year... I guess cause Jacksonville is closer... everybody wrote to the station... so they could get it right and put the Falcons back on and I'm sure ratings were horrible. They changed it after week 2.

When I think about it... Jacksonville is heavily influenced by Atlanta too... When I got there the only thing open was a steak and shake and I asked the lady what do people do around here... She told be about a few bars and soon after the conversation turned to Atlanta and the adventures she and her homegirls had out there.

My impression of Jacksonville is that it is a lot more conservative and a lot more military... a nice city, but surely not a tourist attraction. I am pretty sure more people travel from Jacksonville to Savannah than vice-versa. However Atlanta definely has more of a pull in the seaport

Old 08-15-2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Exactly. I've driven down that way on I-95. It seemed like J-Ville was the largest city for miles. How could anyone deny it's influence?
Someone that's lived there for years

Old 08-15-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
Someone that's lived there for years
A lifelong resident told me almost the exact opposite so.........

He did mention Atlanta often and from his perspective Atlanta had influence on the area as well, but Jacksonville came up way more often.
When I think about it, Jacksonville is half the distance from Savannah than Atlanta, so it would be much more convenient to hop down I-95 than catch the I-16, but I'm not from the area so I really can't talk.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
A lifelong resident told me almost the exact opposite so.........

He did mention Atlanta often and from his perspective Atlanta had influence on the area as well, but Jacksonville came up way more often.
When I think about it, Jacksonville is half the distance from Savannah than Atlanta, so it would be much more convenient to hop down I-95 than catch the I-16, but I'm not from the area so I really can't talk.
Well of all the people that I have met nobody speaks of Jacksonville unless they are military and they are visiting Savannah, and I can say with confidence that with all the nightlife in Savannah... which is on par with many major cities by the way... very few people from Savannah ever go to Jacksonville. If they are lacking something in Savannah or need a larger market... its off to Atlanta... where almost everybody seems to have family Basically there is not much in Jacksonville that is not available in Savannah... no need for the journey. However the same can not be said for Atlanta.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
Well of all the people that I have met nobody speaks of Jacksonville unless they are military and they are visiting Savannah, and I can say with confidence that with all the nightlife in Savannah... which is on par with many major cities by the way... very few people from Savannah ever go to Jacksonville. If they are lacking something in Savannah or need a larger market... its off to Atlanta... where almost everybody seems to have family Basically there is not much in Jacksonville that is not available in Savannah... no need for the journey. However the same can not be said for Atlanta.
I don't know then . Maybe he just preferred Jacksonville, but he did make he seem like it was the general consensus.

I see that there was actually more migration from Atlanta into Jacksonville than Savannah from 2007-2008

Out of state inflow into Jacksonville was like...
1. San Diego, CA 208
2. Camden, GA 183
3. Virginia Beach (city), VA 180
4. Fulton, GA 145
5. Los Angeles, CA 133
6. Mecklenburg, NC 126
7. Norfolk (city), VA 126
8. Chatham, GA 117

I'm sure most of that is military related though.

At the same time Chatham County's highest out of state outflow went to Duval County, FL at 117
but Fulton County came in 4th for in state with 187. 60 more people moved to Atlanta vs. Jacksonville.

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 08-16-2010 at 12:23 AM..

Old 08-16-2010, 12:52 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,787,663 times
Quote:
Did you not even look at the Sphere Of Influence map that I posted?
No I did not.There are 153 pages.I only skimmed it.However that said.Jacksonville is a place that people do visit in the Savannah area.Yet Jacksonville does NOT influence it culturally or even economically.Savannah is a city that really influences itself.Atlanta barely influences it.Savannah has always fought outside influences.My family is from the Savannah area.I can tell you that not until you venture more towards Brunswick do you get more of that influence from Jacksonville.

YOU made the statement that South Georgia is influenced more by North Florida because:
Quote:
North Florida has Jacksonville, Tallahassee, and Pensacola

If you talk to anyone from Albany,Columbus,Macon etc...,no one (other than to visit)will say that their is a culture of influence from Pensacola?LOL!Tallahasee?LOL.Or any other city in North Florida.

My idea of what influence is either culturally like slang,manner of dress,music,customs,or either economically like people commuting to work or companies or schools that recruit heavily from the area.I just don't see it.I grew up in South Georgia and this is news to me.

Now Im not saying that those cities around the border are not influenced at all but those North Florida cities you mention are just too small in their metros to really have that much of an influence.

As far as military goes.Georgia is heavily militarized.Savannah has Fort Stewart and Hunter Air Field,Augusta has Fort Gordon,Veterans Hospital,and the new NSA.Columbus has the also colossal Fort Benning Home of the School of Americas and the Infantry.Macon/Warner Robins has Robins AFB,Robins AFB is the home of the Air Force Materiel Command's Warner Robins Air Logistics Center .It is one of three Air Force Air Logistic Centers,Air Force Reserve Command Headquarters.
Brunswick has the Kings Bay Subic Naval Base and Federal Law Enforcement Training Center .So whatever Jacksonville has military wise its no more of a draw than the installations in South Georgia.

Last edited by afonega1; 08-16-2010 at 01:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City