U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-27-2010, 12:42 AM

18,509 posts, read 27,292,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by algreen View Post
people need to stop using the word "never". Some of you all forget that our american cities were completely different 100 years ago. Whose to say things won't be completely different 100 years from now?
One word: DETROIT!!

Old 09-27-2010, 05:17 AM

8,287 posts, read 11,490,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I will try to summarize the "South" like this:
Capital: Atlanta
International City: Miami
Economic Giant: Houston
Largest MSA: DFW

As with the nation, the capital of the South is not the most populated (city or metro), most international, or biggest economy. NYC, LA, and Chicago all rank higher than DC in these regards. Atlanta is the capital of the South due to location and cultural ties to the region. With the other cities mentioned it would be hard to argue whether or not, I hate admitting this, they are culturally Southern. Atlanta, you don't have a doubt its Southern. That's why it is considered the capital of the South.
I agree with your list but Atlanta has no pull or effect on most of Florida. In fact most people in Miami would disagree on be classified as being "southern" to begin with. Miami has never been a city that has focused on being a regional city within the US but has focused itself more on it's International ties than any of the other 3 metros.
About the only interaction most Floridians have with Atlanta is a layover at the airport.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:49 AM

5,767 posts, read 10,038,692 times
Quote:
In fact most people in Miami would disagree on be classified as being "southern" to begin with.
And to some extent, it's the same situation in Houston. Houston is not "purely" a southern city; it is first and foremost a Texas city with aspects of a southern identity.

As such, I tend to think it is largely disqualified from being the symbolic "capital" of the south. Dallas even moreso. Which really does leave Atlanta as the logical choice.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:23 AM

18,509 posts, read 27,292,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
And to some extent, it's the same situation in Houston. Houston is not "purely" a southern city; it is first and foremost a Texas city with aspects of a southern identity.

As such, I tend to think it is largely disqualified from being the symbolic "capital" of the south. Dallas even moreso. Which really does leave Atlanta as the logical choice.
Houston is still a southern as corn bread and grits. no disqualifying Houston here. Atlanta is not purely southern either. You can't classify it as being southern only when it benefits ATL, and then the next inute claim that it is nore cosmopolitan than southern.

which one is it?

The South is too spread out for one city to claim the title. ATL is only the capital of its area.

However if I had to pick a capital of the entire thing I would pick Houston. It is larger, it has a bigger economy, it has more consulates (It is 3rd after DC and NY), it is more capital like than ATL or MIAMI, and Houston is the only one from all these mentioned that was actually the capital of a country.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:43 AM

4,677 posts, read 7,818,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I agree with your list but Atlanta has no pull or effect on most of Florida. In fact most people in Miami would disagree on be classified as being "southern" to begin with. Miami has never been a city that has focused on being a regional city within the US but has focused itself more on it's International ties than any of the other 3 metros.
About the only interaction most Floridians have with Atlanta is a layover at the airport.
You basically said what I was saying.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:22 AM

4,016 posts, read 6,935,864 times
The south central U.S. should start being used in the case for Arkansas, Texas, Louisiana, and Oklahoma. I don't think it’s any question that Dallas would be capital of this region because it is the more centralized city of the region.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:32 AM

12,391 posts, read 23,804,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
One word: DETROIT!!
that isn't even 100 years... detroit was #4 population just 50 years ago. look at birmingham, it was about on par with atlanta 50 years ago. look how st. louis and baltimore have fallen also at the 100 year mark.
atlanta was more progessive than birmingham and did the right things to get where it did, birmingham didn't.
chicago did the right things to get where it did, detroit didn't.
look at new york and philadelphia even farther back in the 1700s.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:22 PM

884 posts, read 1,466,275 times
Atlanta is overwhelmingly the South's capital, it's by far the largest metro in my opinon. Miami is too much of a party destination and not enough of an economical center, and Dallas and Houston are too far west I think. Dallas is also too Midwestern to be considered truly Southern in my opinion.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:25 PM

4,016 posts, read 6,935,864 times
This is the Midwest....Seriously Dallas has nothing remotely like this region. Dallas is damn near in East Texas...

http://www.iptv.org/bestofthemidwest...MidwestMap.jpg

Old 09-27-2010, 02:31 PM

884 posts, read 1,466,275 times
Dallas is similar to the Great Plains Midwest, as in the land around it looks like Omaha, Kansas City, etc. I mean come on, every state from Texas to North Dakota has similar landscapes because it's the Great Plains, whether it's in the Midwest or not, and the Great Plains is not South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.