Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 02:02 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I agree with your list but Atlanta has no pull or effect on most of Florida. In fact most people in Miami would disagree on be classified as being "southern" to begin with. Miami has never been a city that has focused on being a regional city within the US but has focused itself more on it's International ties than any of the other 3 metros.
About the only interaction most Floridians have with Atlanta is a layover at the airport.
I don't understand the defensiveness of some people on this subject...Atlanta has no "pull or effect" on most people outside of the Atlanta region - the question is a hypothetical situation on the de facto capital of the South, not whether Atlanta rules over Miami or any other city.

The "Capital of the New South" is simply a title often given to Atlanta in the media. It isn't real, so get your get your panties out of that bunch.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:07 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post
Dallas is similar to the Great Plains Midwest, as in the land around it looks like Omaha, Kansas City, etc. I mean come on, every state from Texas to North Dakota has similar landscapes because it's the Great Plains, whether it's in the Midwest or not, and the Great Plains is not South.
Similar landscapes do not necessarily mean similiar cultures and history, however; which are really the primary indicators when it comes to regional classification. It this were true(topography), some of the Upper South states would be in the same region with some of those in the Lower Midwest. The Great Plains is not a coherent region in that sense. Texas has very little in common with the states of the northern Plains in terms of settlment patterns, speech, religious and political history, etc. A case could be made that Dallas has a lot of Midwestern transplants which gives it something of that flavor today, but (IMHO) that is about it...

Last edited by TexasReb; 09-27-2010 at 03:34 PM..

Old 09-27-2010, 02:43 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Houston is still a southern as corn bread and grits. no disqualifying Houston here. Atlanta is not purely southern either. You can't classify it as being southern only when it benefits ATL, and then the next inute claim that it is nore cosmopolitan than southern.

which one is it?

The South is too spread out for one city to claim the title. ATL is only the capital of its area.

However if I had to pick a capital of the entire thing I would pick Houston. It is larger, it has a bigger economy, it has more consulates (It is 3rd after DC and NY), it is more capital like than ATL or MIAMI, and Houston is the only one from all these mentioned that was actually the capital of a country.
Oh you damn Texans.Bless your hearts!
All that and Houston still is the largest city that has NO influence nationally or in the South with the exception of N.O.
Its not even after Atlanta and Miami for international visitors or domestic.
Houston is like Green Mile a big powerful city that gets NO respect.Its big but nobody notices it.
Consulates are important but it matters more to who is represented more than how many.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:48 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
Houston has no influence in the south? Tell somebody in Mississippi that. Hey, consider them lucky though. It has to be rough influencing an entire region when half of the region barely acknowledges your existence.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:11 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Oh you damn Texans.Bless your hearts!
All that and Houston still is the largest city that has NO influence nationally or in the South with the exception of N.O.
Its not even after Atlanta and Miami for international visitors or domestic.
Houston is like Green Mile a big powerful city that gets NO respect.Its big but nobody notices it.
Consulates are important but it matters more to who is represented more than how many.
Wrong on so many levels. Houston influences NO just as much as NO influences Houston. I wouldn't even say they even influence eachother; they just happen to have a huge connection with one another.

As far as no one respects us???? Do I need to post up the videos showing off the craziness going on in the Atlanta area during the Hurricane Ike era???

Old 09-27-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Wrong on so many levels. Houston influences NO just as much as NO influences Houston. I wouldn't even say they even influence eachother; they just happen to have a huge connection with one another.

As far as no one respects us???? Do I need to post up the videos showing off the craziness going on in the Atlanta area during the Hurricane Ike era???
Oooh, everytime!
"Wad a gwan, dem no hear di truth"

Old 09-27-2010, 03:48 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
The south central U.S. should start being used in the case for Arkansas, Texas, Louisiana, and Oklahoma. I don't think it’s any question that Dallas would be capital of this region because it is the more centralized city of the region.
I agree. I think this is probably the best descriptor of this region. And Dallas would no doubt be the capital of this region.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I agree. I think this is probably the best descriptor of this region. And Dallas would no doubt be the capital of this region.
You'd still have to split LA and MS with Houston.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:46 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
However if I had to pick a capital of the entire thing I would pick Houston. It is larger, it has a bigger economy, it has more consulates (It is 3rd after DC and NY), it is more capital like than ATL or MIAMI, and Houston is the only one from all these mentioned that was actually the capital of a country.
The only thing, though, is that Houston doesn't influence a wide swath of the South like Atlanta does. That doesn't make Houston a less important city, but it's just a function of geography. Houston also doesn't have history that's tied into the South as a region like Atlanta does.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:04 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Houston has no influence in the south? Tell somebody in Mississippi that. Hey, consider them lucky though. It has to be rough influencing an entire region when half of the region barely acknowledges your existence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Oh lawd praise the great Houston for energy it's never fails the energy card. Most people don't know Houston is a meeca for energy, us geography nerds and people relating to that industry know Houston is a mecca for energy. But since were not being technical lets go beyond oil Houston doesn't even have a federal reserve bank, hey Dallas! So Houston has a rough influencing over an entire region But half of the region barely acknowledges Atlanta existence huh? Well ok but if a epidemic pop off you may want Atlanta's CDC to know.

And the funny thing is people may not know anything about Atlanta either but you know what? they hear alot more about ATL than Houston good or bad. Oh Westbank you don't have to mention anything about Atlanta! but your TV and etc will once in a while. It's funny because one minute "especially you westbank" always telling us Atlantans no one cares about Atlanta "as we care if yall did! lmao" at the same time yall the first ones to say Atlanta gets "hype" so which one is it?

Before everything get out of wack I believe both cities influence each other in different ways. I disagree with the way afonega1 came at HtownLove "But yet I disagree the way yall came at him" I would of had said after HTown said "I would pick Houston. It is larger, it has a bigger economy" well Atlanta dominate a much larger region of south. "Houston is the only one from all these mentioned that was actually the capital of a country." in that sense Richmond should get it, but Atlanta has the most federal jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I don't understand the defensiveness of some people on this subject...Atlanta has no "pull or effect" on most people outside of the Atlanta region - the question is a hypothetical situation on the de facto capital of the South, not whether Atlanta rules over Miami or any other city.

The "Capital of the New South" is simply a title often given to Atlanta in the media. It isn't real, so get your get your panties out of that bunch.
Agreed ) it's like debating over Charlotte being the queen city. The capital of the New South or Capital of the South is already a nickname for Atlanta. Take each city above then google that with capital of the south behind, but it's just a nickname it not that serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City