Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 01:39 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,529,171 times

Advertisements

There is no city in the south that stands heads and shoulders above the rest. Atlanta, Dallas and Houston are interchangeable in terms of significance.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:40 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,719,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
chiatldal, get your panties out your *** I was just going along with afonega1; hence the smiley.

Everybody else, as far as "Capital of the South" being used as a nickname that's fine as nobody really cares. When people use the term "Capital of the South" as an actual title and then apply it to one city then it becomes unfair to the majority of the south. To people who say Texas is to far west, that's ridiculous because Texas cities have influence ending just short of Alabama. A city can't be the capital of what it doesn't influence so that rules out all 3. The argument that black people equal southern is just stupid. I guess there is no such thing as southern whites, because I saw a handful this weekend.
Why is that stupid if 90% of the blacks that live in a city trace there roots to the tradition of the South and the region traditionally know as South.Houston is not Miami where the line becomes blurred with blacks from Jamaica,Barbados,Puerto Rico,Dominican Rep.,etc.....

And if people did not care this thread would not stll be going on after 160 pages.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:42 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,509,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post

West texas this is the south to you )
west texas - Google Maps

west texas - Google Maps

west texas - Google Maps

west texas - Google Maps Remember the south is east Texas to Richmond to Tampa “or Miami if you wish it doesn’t matter” The real center of south is like Birmingham. Atlanta is the closest city over 5 million to the center of the south.
What does physical topography have to do with it? Parts of Texas resemble parts of the Dakotas, ala' Great Plains, but the historical and culural commonalities are virtually zilch.

I voted "no capital" so I am really not into that aspect of the debate/discussion, especially talking a single city for such a large region.

I will however reply to (IMHO) erroneous contention that simply because west Texas is probably the least "classically Southern" area of the region in terms of physical geography, that it is not still essentially part of the American South. It is just its western fringe extension. It is decidedly not the Southwest (in the sense of New Mexico and Arizona). The settlement impact on western Texas was overwhelmingly that of pioneers from the southeast, and it was that stock which very much dominated the formation of the area. Yes, while the "western" environment (i.e. plains/praries, less rainfall, etc) made for adaptations and a different way of life, economically, in many ways from the "Old South", the basic characteristics in terms of history, speech, folk attitudes, religion, politics, race, etc, were/are essentially Southern in nature and essence.

Last edited by TexasReb; 09-28-2010 at 02:02 PM..

Old 09-28-2010, 01:49 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,803,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I moved to Charlotte NC from Austin. No kidding, I agree with this statement SOOO much. People who CURRENTLY live in Texas, have NO ideal of how WESTERN Texas FEELS in comparison to people here in the Eastern South. People out here(for the most part) view TX, somewhat how they would view a New Mexico or Arizona. I'm not saying it's like TX and AZ, but it's geographical positioning makes it seem somewhat foreign to the rest of the South. I personally think Texas is part of the area known as the Western South(with the exception of the Trans-Pecos Region, which is entirely Southwestern). Texas is "in" the South, but VERY different than the rest of the South.
here we go again.....that lame reasoning might work with those who haven't lived in both texas and the southeast, but I HAVE. and texas does not feel soooo much more western than the southeast. places west of i-35? yes maybe, but east? not at all.

and like i said before, the only people that would ever place texas in the same group as new mexico or arizona are those who don't know any better.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:52 PM

4,420 posts, read 6,236,328 times
I voted for Atlanta

Miami, Dallas, Houston dont fit what most consider to be the South. Houston of the three has the most southern characteristics. Texas is where the east meets the west so it will have characteristics of both. East of 35 will have a more southeast feel and west of it will have a southwest feel.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:54 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,438,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Why is that stupid if 90% of the blacks that live in a city trace there roots to the tradition of the South and the region traditionally know as South.Houston is not Miami where the line becomes blurred with blacks from Jamaica,Barbados,Puerto Rico,Dominican Rep.,etc.....

And if people did not care this thread would not stll be going on after 160 pages.

Because, by that logic I can say that any city with a lot of black people is southern. Also, this thread didn't go on for 160+ pages because "capital of the south" is being interpreted as a nickname. It went on because people are implying/assuming that it is an actual title. It also went 160+ pages in part because whenever someone explains why there is no capital or why it isn't a certain city, they definition of capital has to change to fit that city.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
There is no city in the south that stands heads and shoulders above the rest. Atlanta, Dallas and Houston are interchangeable in terms of significance.
/end thread. chicago south sider has said all that needs to be said

why do i continue to allow myself to get sucked into threads with these kids who don't educate themselves ?

just take my word for it. if there were an official capital of the south, there wouldn't be 170 pages of a discussion on it.

what matters is that the states of texas, oklahoma, arkansas, louisiana, and mississippi ARE the south (no one who really knows what they're saying would omit either), and atlanta is NOT OUR capital

Old 09-28-2010, 02:00 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,438,209 times
It's funny how the definition of capital has been moved from culture, to economics, to geography, to influence, down to center of population and physical characteristics... The same people who constantly fight the southern stereotypes are now using it make a point.

Guess what. D.C. is on the extreme end of the country and is culturally different from most of the country. Guess what though? It influences the entire area that it is the capital of... Find an equivalent of that for the south. Can you?

Old 09-28-2010, 02:01 PM

and why is it that atlantans aren't just content with being the capital of the southeast? why they gotta come for us too?

Old 09-28-2010, 02:13 PM

468 posts, read 786,886 times
You guys are debating over something that is not a fact but just a Nick name the media gave the city.. Why they gave Atlanta that Nickname, I don't know why. Atlanta is the capital of Ga.. But I do believe if this was voted to actually make a city the capital of the south it probably would be Atlanta.. As for now there is no capital of the south..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City