U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 10:04 AM

10,167 posts, read 16,639,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Atlanta, Dallas, or Houston would be my picks for the capital of the South, although Atlanta is obviously much more at the heart of the South than Dallas and Houston, which are borderline Southwestern.
If I remember correctly, seems like there was a similar thread on this topic last year. Someone said (and it made sense) that there were "co-capitals" of the "South". Atlanta being that of the "Southeast" or "Old South", while Dallas or Houston (cain't remember which) was that of the "Western South" (which describes most of Texas better than "Southwest").

Old 09-27-2008, 10:09 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,604,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
If I remember correctly, seems like there was a similar thread on this topic last year. Someone said (and it made sense) that there were "co-capitals" of the "South". Atlanta being that of the "Southeast" or "Old South", while Dallas or Houston (cain't remember which) was that of the "Western South" (which describes most of Texas better than "Southwest").
I guess that is true. Chicago is undebatably the capital of the Midwest, however.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:34 PM

755 posts, read 1,471,657 times
I voted Atlanta, but...who voted San Antonio? LOL

Old 09-27-2008, 05:43 PM

18,207 posts, read 25,896,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Honestly, I've never heard anyone call Miami the 6th borough or little New York. I just don't see how there anything alike, even when it comes to cultural connections, I guess you see something I don't
If you have visited many times or spent some time in Miami, you can tell there are connections between the two cities more than any other city in the south. Many New Yorkers use Miami as their vacation spot. Just google Miami 6th borough and you'd see it. They of course are very different. But they are very connected.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:44 PM

18,207 posts, read 25,896,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I agree but when you say the western south thing. That would be just basically the state of Texas east towards basically the Mississippi river and North towards Little rock. Atlanta's influence covers a much larger area of the south.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:08 PM

4,383 posts, read 15,034,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoFan View Post

2. I think those who chose D.C.'s location knew that both regions would claim the city (they accomplished their goals).
ya know that's very true! I never thought of that. If they truly wanted to put the capital in the south i doubt DC would have been their location

Old 09-27-2008, 06:30 PM

4 posts, read 5,839 times
Atlanta. But in all honesty, who the heck would want this title?? No city enlightened by the 'American' idea for sure.

The Texas cities are not slighted the least in missing out on this designation. Perhaps Dallas and Houston focus on their 'western' root because of the absolute debacle their Southern root got them into. JMHO.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:41 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,800,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDwasWrong View Post
Atlanta. But in all honesty, who the heck would want this title?? No city enlightened by the 'American' idea for sure.

The Texas cities are not slighted the least in missing out on this designation. Perhaps Dallas and Houston focus on their 'western' root because of the absolute debacle their Southern root got them into. JMHO.
Here's a good idea, try looking at the South as a region/a collection of states and nothing more. Don' let bias or elitism cloud your thinking. This is just a fun thread so the question for you is 'what city draws more interest or stands out in the South'.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:38 PM

38 posts, read 139,816 times
1) Richmond is the capital of the south
2) Richmond was only chosen as the capital because they wanted it to be right up in DC's face
3) Atlanta is the new capital of the south.... )until Richmond works its way up and knocks them off their faces )

Old 09-27-2008, 10:53 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,957,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
well my screen name obviously tells you where I'm from and to include Miami in this poll is strange. We don't consider ourselves Southerners in any way shape or form. If we had to identify with a city it would be New York or Bogata or Carcas instead. Nothing wrong with the South we just consider ourselves more on a international level.

Thats OK. As Ive said in other threads, The South has disowned Florida. We dont claim ya'll....

Great post Tex. I'd have quoted it, but it was a mite on the long side. So...Kudos!

And I STILL say that Charleston should be given consideration here.....its prettier than Atlanta anyway....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City