U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 09:27 PM

4,230 posts, read 8,872,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Its rather silly, really. It's really only a handful of posters who do this. Most ATL posters acknowledge the growth in influence, economy, and importance of Charlotte regionally, nationally, and internationally. I guess Atlanta gets picked on so bad, they gotta pick on somebody.
Yeah, but the ones from Atlanta who do pick on other cities don't challenge the cities that pick on them. They go after the smaller ones. They cry that they are so defensive because people from the Northeast pick on them, yet they don't go after New York, Philly, or Boston. They go after Charlotte, Houston, and Dallas. The cities that they know they may have an edge over are be equal to. Notice that you haven't seen a Houston-Atlanta argument since the new statistics put Houston ahead. Pay attention, the less of chance the city has of competing with Atlanta the harder they go in on it.

I just asked what city influences the entire region as a whole. In response I'm told some BS about Atlanta being the defacto capital and not the governmental capital.. Huh? Then a paragraph about Atlanta and New Orleans (which doesn't have a dog in this fight), Atlanta's media market, It's international status, and so on... I don't even know how half of that ties in.

Now CDC and CNN are forces to recon with and arguably influence the entire country. I turn around and make the same argument for Houston. Back at square one. Obviously there is no literal capital. Nickname fine, literally no.

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 09-28-2010 at 10:01 PM..

Old 09-28-2010, 09:48 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,807,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Yeah, but the ones from Atlanta who do pick on other cities don't challenge the cities that pick on them. They go after the smaller ones. They cry that they are so defensive because people from the Northeast pick on them, yet they don't go after New York, Philly, or Boston. They go after Charlotte, Houston, and Dallas. The cities that they know they may have an edge over are be equal to. Notice that you haven't seen a Houston-Atlanta argument since the new statistics put Houston ahead. Pay attention, the less of chance the city has of competing with Atlanta the harder they go in on it.
What statistics are you referring to? I must have missed these myself. I would certainly like to see them.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:01 PM

^ Growth and economy.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
^ Growth and economy.
Which source? Economy definitely. This decade has been super astonomical for Houston.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Which source? Economy definitely. This decade has been super astonomical for Houston.
I'll just stir Census and BEA estimates into my little gumbo pot here.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
I'll just stir Census and BEA estimates into my little gumbo pot here.
Lol! I hope I didn't come off as rude. I was just asking so I could look it up myself but I got you now.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Lol! I hope I didn't come off as rude. I was just asking so I could look it up myself but I got you now.
No, I'm just talking out the side of my neck. If I'm not mistaken Houston's growth did continue as Atlanta's slowed down though. GDP wise, Houston took off and left Atlanta in the dirt over the last 5 years.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:10 PM

282 posts, read 540,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
i can't argue with that
The best bouncing money can buy.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:55 PM

9,086 posts, read 12,858,620 times
Quote:
I wouldn't go so far as to say that. Charlotte influences much of. Western NC, northern SC down to Columbia and westward toward Upstate. I don't if I would go as far as to say VA but it is pretty influential. And all the influence Charlotte has yields to Atlanta.
You said it better,but I do agree totally.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:06 AM

9,086 posts, read 12,858,620 times
Quote:

I just asked what city influences the entire region as a whole. In response I'm told some BS about Atlanta being the defacto capital and not the governmental capital.. Huh? Then a paragraph about Atlanta and New Orleans (which doesn't have a dog in this fight), Atlanta's media market, It's international status, and so on... I don't even know how half of that ties in.

Now CDC and CNN are forces to recon with and arguably influence the entire country. I turn around and make the same argument for Houston. Back at square one. Obviously there is no literal capital. Nickname fine, literally no.
Actually I have gone after all these cities in some regard.But I have lived in many of them so I do know there strengths and weakness.If you are implying that I have and am not fair please point out where I was.You may not like what i have to say or even agree.But rarely is it so way off base as if I cannot give credit where credit is due.

And it is also easy to see that you manipulate answers and often come to your own conclusions about who is thinking what more than only what they have written.

I never said anything negative about any of these places.My statement about N.O was I felt it had a more reasonable shot at the title,In fact it was my first thought before I thought about it,And changed based on MY understanding of the word "capitol" .I stated at such several times.

Now you can read something that is not there all you want,But if you do then prove yoursellf,
As far as my last post.You really should gho back and READ the first paragraph.
I sure I said "this is MY reasoning and logic for my answer.So for you to get uptight about what I have on my mind shows that you really should try some deep coping mechanisms when things dont go your way.

Every Houston poster knows me on here.They no I speak my mind.In fact every poster in any city Atlanta is mentioned I usually there saying my thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City