Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 12:41 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You said it better,but I do agree totally.
Which means Charlotte influences a little bit more than your big left toe. Unless there's something you're not telling us.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:46 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,792,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Which means Charlotte influences a little bit more than your big left toe. Unless there's something you're not telling us.
It was a trigger response not meant to be taken so literal.I forgot some people on here are very hyper sensitive.I was referring to the part where he said it yielded to Atlanta.Yes my big toe does make decisions for me occasionally.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:56 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I'm not arguing cultural or political I arguing geography, If you notice that the Texas posters arguing the same limited area
Houston: SE Texas, LA, part of Mississippi.
Dallas: N Texas, OK, AR, May part of TN
Well ok Atlanta: GA, AL, part of MS, part of TN, part of KY, part of FL, SC, NC, part of VA.

If the south is Virginia to Texas and Florida. Atlanta by far dominate MOST of the south. Imagine if Raleigh was 5 million and on pare with the southern big 4 it would have a very limited regional influence of the south it’s to far to the edge, the Texas cities are in that actual boat! Here a population map to point out that the Texas cities are the edge. Then Texas cities influences "Dallas and Houston" overlap. No major metro over 5 mil is even close to Atlanta, Atlanta has a clear pretty large 360 influence of the south.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lation_map.png
EXACTLY, This map tells the full story. Texas is only LA, AK, and OK(Which is also debatable as Southern). Geography has WAAAY more to do with it than culture. And ATL is perfectly centrally located.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
here we go again.....that lame reasoning might work with those who haven't lived in both texas and the southeast, but I HAVE. and texas does not feel soooo much more western than the southeast. places west of i-35? yes maybe, but east? not at all.

and like i said before, the only people that would ever place texas in the same group as new mexico or arizona are those who don't know any better.
DING, DING, DING!!!! Most people out here DON'T know better. I'm not making this crap up. Most people OUT HERE, think of Texas as OUT THERE. Sorry to burst your bubble. And it's not just West Texas they think of, it's Dallas, Austin, and SA. Houston is seen somewhat in the same light as ATL.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I voted for Atlanta

Miami, Dallas, Houston dont fit what most consider to be the South. Houston of the three has the most southern characteristics. Texas is where the east meets the west so it will have characteristics of both. East of 35 will have a more southeast feel and west of it will have a southwest feel.
Austin and SA have a more Western feel, and there ON I-35.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:12 AM

I had this same argument with someone on Youtube from Houston. I told him, that Houston does NOT, I repeat, does NOT, speak for the whole state of Texas. Nor does Dallas, nor PAT, nor Beaumont, nor the rest of East Texas.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
This was my first post in this two year old thread. I quote it again because it centers around the conversation of the last few pages.
You said Texans have there own thing, different from the rest of the South. Some people have a hard time believing this.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:43 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Actually I have gone after all these cities in some regard.But I have lived in many of them so I do know there strengths and weakness.If you are implying that I have and am not fair please point out where I was.You may not like what i have to say or even agree.But rarely is it so way off base as if I cannot give credit where credit is due.

And it is also easy to see that you manipulate answers and often come to your own conclusions about who is thinking what more than only what they have written.

I never said anything negative about any of these places.My statement about N.O was I felt it had a more reasonable shot at the title,In fact it was my first thought before I thought about it,And changed based on MY understanding of the word "capitol" .I stated at such several times.

Now you can read something that is not there all you want,But if you do then prove yoursellf,
As far as my last post.You really should gho back and READ the first paragraph.
I sure I said "this is MY reasoning and logic for my answer.So for you to get uptight about what I have on my mind shows that you really should try some deep coping mechanisms when things dont go your way.

Every Houston poster knows me on here.They no I speak my mind.In fact every poster in any city Atlanta is mentioned I usually there saying my thoughts.
If you would have kept reading you would have seen that I admitted to just stirring the pot and talking out of the side of my neck. Some of what I said does have truth to it and if you notice I didn't single anyone out. As far as your understanding of the word "capitol" . The world "capitol" refers to a building. Completely different from "capital".

As far as me manipulating answers? Prove this one. I usually repeat myself for 40+ pages while you all jump all over the place. Anyone who has argued with most of you will admit that. I usually ask questions that can be answered in 2 to 3 sentences. Instead people (not necessarily you) respond with 3 paragraphs and beaucoup pictures that barely come close to what I was trying to ask.

Now the second part was directed at you and chiatldal, but as I said I was looking for a simple who and why (that's all I usually) want but no one usually knows how to do that.

And what do Cajuns in Texas have to do with New Orleans. There's no reason why Houston shouldn't have more Cajuns than N.O.
----------------------------------
Either way my mission was accomplished You can keep going with it if you want to. I made my point in this thread a long time ago.

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 09-29-2010 at 08:40 AM..

Old 09-29-2010, 08:25 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Ohhhh I'm going to have to disagree with that. If there was any other big city that has influence over VA, it is indeed Atlanta but it's miniscule at best. Charlotte has a population of about 2 million. It barely influences much in the Eastern part of North Carolina let alone any part of Virginia.
From my experience of being in the VA area; I never heard anything about Atlanta. It was always either Charlotte or DC. I guess it just depends where you're at.

Thinking about it though; I wouldn't even call it a influence, but more of a connection (Speaking about Charlotte). I just don't see the Atlanta influence in VA whenever I'm there.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:36 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
DING, DING, DING!!!! Most people out here DON'T know better. I'm not making this crap up. Most people OUT HERE, think of Texas as OUT THERE. Sorry to burst your bubble. And it's not just West Texas they think of, it's Dallas, Austin, and SA. Houston is seen somewhat in the same light as ATL.
okay, so you're admitting that many people in the carolinas are ignorant about the reality of texas. but how is that relevant to the discussion?

and what i keep trying to get thru to you is that you lived in austin and now you live in north carolina (right?), so of course you'll see the extremes. but you wouldn't feel the same way if you were from houston (or even dallas) and move out there. so saying that texas as a whole is VERY different from the rest of the south is a huge exaggeration. the bulk of the population in texas (east of i-35) is found in the areas that are culturally very southern in every way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
EXACTLY, This map tells the full story. Texas is only LA, AK, and OK(Which is also debatable as Southern). Geography has WAAAY more to do with it than culture. And ATL is perfectly centrally located.
texas also has mississippi and parts of western tennessee. and eastern oklahoma really isn't debatable as southern
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City