Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 02:22 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
It has the CDC, Civil Rights Movement, Black people love it there, It's the most southern (when it's an advantage), it has pine trees and whatever other topographical features that the south is supposed to have, and the media (which it dominates in BTW) has labeled it the capital for years. With all of that said how can you deny that Atlanta dominates the south. It has every southern feature imaginable rolled into one (when it's not busy being too cosmopolitan to be southern).
How about we do it this way based on fact ONLY:
1)Houston and Dallas may a higher population and GDP.
2)H&D have the lowest unemployment rates
3)The largest medical facility in the world is located in Houston
4)Houston has the most consulates
5)Nigerians are represented more than any other ethnicity
6)Houston has more Billionaires,Millionaires
7)Houston is a bigger terrorist attack probability
8)Houston has NASA
9)Houston and Dallas have the highest number of Fortune 500 companies after New York
10)The Port of Houston ranks first in the United States in international waterborne tonnage handled and second in total cargo tonnage handled
11)Considered to be the energy capital of the world, five of the six supermajor energy companies maintain a large base of operations in Houston
12)Poverty level in HOU and DAL is highest out of the largest cities in the South
13)Houston and Dallas have the highest median incomes.
14)Lowest graduation rates,percentage of pop.with a bachelors or higher
15)DAL is Beta and Houston is a Beta - city.

ATLANTA:
1)Atlanta has the CDC
2)Atlanta is one of the nations top 5 education centers
3)Atlanta has the fastest growing millionaire population
4)Atlanta has The world's busiest airport

5)Atlanta has the highest share of international visitors,and the only city in the South that posted a gain in international overseas visitors

6)Atlanta has the most amount of international companies after HOU and DAL.

7)Atlanta has the highest Per Capita Income

8)Atlanta is highest in educational attainment in those receiving bachelors or higher and in high school graduates.Atlanta ranks 25th in cities with population having advanced degrees.Houston#53 and Dallas#50
High School Graduation rates : ATL@86.5%,HOU @ 79.4% and DAL @81.4%

9)Atlanta has the lowest poverty rate in the South

10)Atlanta has a sizable financial sector. SunTrust Banks, the seventh largest bank by asset holdings in the United States,[97] has its home office on Peachtree Street in downtown.[98] The Federal Reserve System has a district headquarters in Atlanta; the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta,

11) The following studies:
GaWC,“Leading World Cities: Empirical Evaluations of Urban Nodes in Multiple Networks", “Ranally City Rankings.”,MasterCard’s 2008 “Worldwide Centers of Commerce Index”,FOREIGN POLICY’S “GLOBAL CITY INDEX”,Brookings Institute report “U.S. Cities in the World City Network.” have ALL ranked Atlanta above the other cities with the exception of one study that places Miami just above Atlanta and the rest.

12)Atlanta is a BETA + city:

13)Atlanta ranks 12th,Dallas #6,and Houston #21 as a North America High Tech Center.
2009 North America High Tech
14)In PORTFOLIO's Survey:
2010 Quality of Life: Major Markets:Atlanta ranks #11,Dallas#29th,Houston # 47th,Miami #62 overall

15)Atlanta is the number one location for international non-profits
16)Atlanta by far is the largest media related leader.Largest media market(8th in the nation),Television and studio production.Cox communications,CNN,Turner Broadcasting,The Weather Channel etc
17)After Boston and Philly.Atlanta ranks as the worlds 25th largest financial center.Miami #29th HOU#32 and DAL#35
Citgy Mayors: World's best financial cities

If I left anything you feel important out,please feel free.
But judging from my reason about Atlanta and what the pundits say,I'll choose them any day over another city data poster.So whats your reasons for HOU or DAL?

Old 09-30-2010, 06:40 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Nice unbiased post afonega! Rep for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Honestly, the South has no Capitol. Dallas is part of the Midwest. Houston is Southern, but perched at the very edge of the region. Austin is distinctly un-Southern. Miami is considered an extension of New York (and Havana...and Haiti). In fact, Florida south of Orlando is not considered part of the 'South'.

New Orleans is considered to be a decaying, irrelevant fragment of a Banana Republic. Memphis is so dysfunctional, now, it's just plain irrelevant. Nashville has a lot of mega-wealth...the big, evil holding companies that control giant business concerns...but is not a Capitol in any commonly-acknowledged sense.

Atlanta is considered Yankee Land by most Southerners. But it's the only 'big, exciting city' truly in the region. So, if you had to pick a city that's the South's Capitol, it would have to be Atlanta.
I dont know that Dallas is part of the Midwest, but the areas to the North and West of the Metroplex do feel Midwestern in parts. DFW to me is part Southwestern, part Midwestern, part Southern. By this there is no way Dallas could be the capital of the south.

Houston is more Southern than Dallas without question, but it doesnt feel nearly as Southern as Atlanta to me.

Atlanta (to me) is the capital of the South. Its pretty much the city everyone thinks of when they think of the South.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:43 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
It has the CDC, Civil Rights Movement, Black people love it there, It's the most southern (when it's an advantage), it has pine trees and whatever other topographical features that the south is supposed to have, and the media (which it dominates in BTW) has labeled it the capital for years. With all of that said how can you deny that Atlanta dominates the southeast. It has every southern feature imaginable rolled into one (when it's not busy being too cosmopolitan to be southern).
Fixed that for you

Old 09-30-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Ok, fine. And that's where most of the South is located at.
Geographically or population wise?

Old 09-30-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Also in regards to the Texas Triangle being split. It gets split with DFW, Austin, and San Antonio forming the triangle and Houston gets the Gulf. The Texas Triangle is a separate region from the Gulf, although Houston is a part of both. I know it sounds confusing but if you read the article it makes sense. Also, some sources separate Houston from the triangle and call this region Dal-Austin and Houston is only a part of the triangle. I disagree with this and see Houston as a part of both. But when you talk about the triangle you don't include th Gulf and when talking about the Gulf you don't include the Triangle.
I understand what you are saying here, I understood HOW the guy split the triangle in the article, what I did not understand was where he got his figure. The numbers he had for the gulf coast was lower than that for Houston only in 2000. The numbers he had for Charlanta was greater than that estimated for 2010.

My question is why is he using numbers that seems to be older than 10 years for the gulf coast and levels that have yet to be attained for Atlanta.

Look at the megaregions 2050 website. It has estimates of 2005 data. It clearly shows numbers for the gulf coast double what the guy in the article listed.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
How about we do it this way based on fact ONLY:
1)Houston and Dallas may a higher population and GDP.
2)H&D have the lowest unemployment rates
3)The largest medical facility in the world is located in Houston
4)Houston has the most consulates
5)Nigerians are represented more than any other ethnicity
6)Houston has more Billionaires,Millionaires
7)Houston is a bigger terrorist attack probability
8)Houston has NASA
9)Houston and Dallas have the highest number of Fortune 500 companies after New York
10)The Port of Houston ranks first in the United States in international waterborne tonnage handled and second in total cargo tonnage handled
11)Considered to be the energy capital of the world, five of the six supermajor energy companies maintain a large base of operations in Houston
12)Poverty level in HOU and DAL is highest out of the largest cities in the South
13)Houston and Dallas have the highest median incomes.
14)Lowest graduation rates,percentage of pop.with a bachelors or higher
15)DAL is Beta and Houston is a Beta - city.

ATLANTA:
1)Atlanta has the CDC
2)Atlanta is one of the nations top 5 education centers
3)Atlanta has the fastest growing millionaire population
4)Atlanta has The world's busiest airport

5)Atlanta has the highest share of international visitors,and the only city in the South that posted a gain in international overseas visitors

6)Atlanta has the most amount of international companies after HOU and DAL.

7)Atlanta has the highest Per Capita Income

8)Atlanta is highest in educational attainment in those receiving bachelors or higher and in high school graduates.Atlanta ranks 25th in cities with population having advanced degrees.Houston#53 and Dallas#50
High School Graduation rates : ATL@86.5%,HOU @ 79.4% and DAL @81.4%

9)Atlanta has the lowest poverty rate in the South

10)Atlanta has a sizable financial sector. SunTrust Banks, the seventh largest bank by asset holdings in the United States,[97] has its home office on Peachtree Street in downtown.[98] The Federal Reserve System has a district headquarters in Atlanta; the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta,

11) The following studies:
GaWC,“Leading World Cities: Empirical Evaluations of Urban Nodes in Multiple Networks", “Ranally City Rankings.”,MasterCard’s 2008 “Worldwide Centers of Commerce Index”,FOREIGN POLICY’S “GLOBAL CITY INDEX”,Brookings Institute report “U.S. Cities in the World City Network.” have ALL ranked Atlanta above the other cities with the exception of one study that places Miami just above Atlanta and the rest.

12)Atlanta is a BETA + city:

13)Atlanta ranks 12th,Dallas #6,and Houston #21 as a North America High Tech Center.
2009 North America High Tech
14)In PORTFOLIO's Survey:
2010 Quality of Life: Major Markets:Atlanta ranks #11,Dallas#29th,Houston # 47th,Miami #62 overall

15)Atlanta is the number one location for international non-profits
16)Atlanta by far is the largest media related leader.Largest media market(8th in the nation),Television and studio production.Cox communications,CNN,Turner Broadcasting,The Weather Channel etc
17)After Boston and Philly.Atlanta ranks as the worlds 25th largest financial center.Miami #29th HOU#32 and DAL#35
Citgy Mayors: World's best financial cities

If I left anything you feel important out,please feel free.
But judging from my reason about Atlanta and what the pundits say,I'll choose them any day over another city data poster.So whats your reasons for HOU or DAL?
lol, NY is an Alpha ++ city is it the capital? Nope. DC isn't ranked as high as NY but it is the capital.

and do you know how small the difference is between a Beta and a beta + city, and why Atlanta is ranked as the Beta +? just one thing, I will give you three guesses it starts in air and ends in port

a bogus assessment if you ask me.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:32 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times
Uh afonega1! How about you don't comment nothing else I say unless you read it first. I mean you can comment on whatever you want, but when you make it obvious that you don't even know what I'm talking about that takes away from the comment.

1)Nowhere in this post have I said that Houston or Dallas was the "capital".
2)You keep listing these facts about Atlanta, what does have to do with being a capital.
3)Poverty, GWaC ratings, how many international visitors, income, etc. has NOTHING to do with being capital of a region.
4)At the end of the day Atlanta does not influence the south as a whole any more than any other city. Just accept it.

The new argument now seems to be "well, Atlanta influences most of the south so it's the capital." MOST (which is a stretch) AIN'T ALL. There are still a lot of people in this region who barely think of Atlanta. Go tell them that Atlanta is their capital. Take out the border states and Atlanta's influence doesn't go that far. The distance from Texas and Houston to the center of Mississippi is about the same as the distance from Atlanta to the same point. Not really that much bigger. You can list whatever you want to list, most of that just says that Atlanta is an important/major city but capital it is not.

Somebody tried to throw out the D.C. comparison saying "Oh, but D.C. is governmental so it's not the same thing". Uh, no. No matter what kind of influence D.C. has, it influences the entire region that it is capital of. Atlanta nor any other city does this for the south. To be capital of something you have to influence the whole thing. Just like London, Milan, New York, and Paris are fashion capitols; they influence the entire fashion industry. Not just big parts of it.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:39 AM

^^^ Excellent post Westbank. I will rep this post when I can.

Geez, I need to find more people to rep.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:55 AM

468 posts, read 789,824 times
While everyone is debating.. I'm still trying to figure out how that Nickname came about for Atlanta.. There has to be a reason...

Old 09-30-2010, 10:02 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
^^^ Excellent post Westbank. I will rep this post when I can.

Geez, I need to find more people to rep.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG2010 View Post
While everyone is debating.. I'm still trying to figure out how that Nickname came about for Atlanta.. There has to be a reason...
I'm quite sure that someone who saw the south as a giant stereotype or just didn't know any better coined it. The only way you can honestly validate that the south has a capital is to look for the city that meets the most stereotypes. At the end of the day that's still perception and not reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City