Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 02:02 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I just don't like the idea that this all comes down to stereotypes.
I think it has more to do with geography, more than stereotypes.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:03 PM

I just don't see why ATL shouldn't be the capital of the South. Why not? Like others have said, Houston and Dallas are at the Souths EDGE. It's ALL ABOUT geography, more so than culture, stereotypes, and here say.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:35 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I just don't see why ATL shouldn't be the capital of the South. Why not? Like others have said, Houston and Dallas are at the Souths EDGE. It's ALL ABOUT geography, more so than culture, stereotypes, and here say.
Because being the capital of the south is much than just having a large influence. I agreed that Atlanta is the De facto capital of the south; however, ATLiens take that to the head and believe they are supreme. It simply is a nickname; just like NYC is the Best City in the World.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:36 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Nickname -> Atlanta can have it all day long, nobody is disputing it
Officially -> No city can have it.

The argument isn't about the nickname, it's about whether there is an official capital.
If "southeasterners" were content with it being a nickname only there wouldn't be as many arguments that Atlanta is the capital as there are arguments against. Hell if the Atlantans in this thread didn't care and considered nothing more than a nickname they wouldn't waist to time to argue why Atlanta should represent the south and why Texas was irrelevent.

What's the deal?
As I said to Al how can a poster even argue something as offical when it not. No one has said the senate of the south is right on Peachtree LOL. It's either is or it's not, Atlanta obviously isn't the offical capitial of the south it's just a nickname, this is why I said yall are taking this a little too seriously. And clear, my argument was for the nickname existence is base on location and Geography. I never said East Texas and the Texas Triangle is irrelevant. but however West Texas yes it is.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Because being the capital of the south is much than just having a large influence. I agreed that Atlanta is the De facto capital of the south; however, ATLiens take that to the head and believe they are supreme. It simply is a nickname; just like NYC is the Best City in the World.
Oh Gee we Atlantans gain so much from a nickname. ) But actually I believe yall are the ones taking it to the head as inferior complex as if it means something more which maybe is the reason yall are arguing and take it too serious. "Why is Atlanta call the capital of south I don’t feel it's are capital" LMAO capitial of the south is a nickname nearly a old slogan.

Last edited by chiatldal; 09-30-2010 at 02:52 PM..

Old 09-30-2010, 02:43 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Oh Gee we Atlantans gain so much from nickname. )
It's been proven over and over again in this thread. If you're not guilty of the type of behavior I pointed out; than why be so offended??? I didn't directly say chiatldal.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
It's been proven over and over again in this thread. If you're not guilty of the type of behavior I pointed out; than why be so offended??? I didn't directly say chiatldal.
I know you wasn't directing it towards me and I wasn't offended I thought is was funny. So I gave a funny comment back. LOL

Old 09-30-2010, 03:51 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
SA and Austin influence each other more than Houston or Dallas does. They should be counted as there own area and not part of Houston or Dallas sphere of influence.
I wouldn't be so quick to say that. I do believe Houston and Dallas somewhat does influence both those cities. Houston and Dallas by themselves are much bigger then San Antonio and Austin combined.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:40 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
I don't understand how this has been debated for 185 pages. I'm not going to get into the bickering from the usual suspects/asshats, but as for my opinion:

Atlanta dominates the Southeastern portion of the South while Dallas/Houston share the Western South (LA/OK/AR/Eastex).

I lived in Mississippi for 9 years, and I always thought that the state was the transition zone between the dominant southern cities in terms of deference and influence. There was just as much of an Atlanta influence as a Dallas and Houston influence in many areas. However, I'd say that South Mississippi seemed to be the most influenced by Houston.

Many of my HS and college classmates who moved out of town tended to go towards Atlanta and Houston with Dallas being slightly behind.

I will say this again, but one way I knew Mississippi was a transition zone was from the music we would get. I knew of New Orleans bounce and Memphis hip-hop of course, but we got a lot of Texas rappers and Atlanta rappers getting airplay on the radio or from Mixtapes.

But everyone knows the true capital of North Mississippi is Memphis and the capital of South Mississippi is New Orleans.

Louisiana is split between Houston and Dallas. There is very little, if any Atlanta influence/deference in Louisiana.

North Carolina is somewhat of a transition zone between Atlanta and DC. Once you get towards Raleigh-Durham, the deference to DC is a lot more clear. As for Virginia, come on...Very little if any of the Old Dominion has any sort of deference to Atlanta.

Atlanta carries a big stick, but not for all of the south. I voted for Atlanta though. When people think of the South, many automatically think of the Southeast, and Atlanta is in the middle of that region, so that's what I'm basing my vote on. Houston and Dallas lie on the edge of what is generally thought of as the South by many.

Let me be clear, I do think most of Texas is part of the South, but as I've pointed out before, most people are ignorant when it comes to geography and culture. People still want to debate whether or not Texas is a part of the South.

Last edited by grindin; 09-30-2010 at 05:14 PM..

Old 09-30-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I wouldn't be so quick to say that. I do believe Houston and Dallas somewhat does influence both those cities. Houston and Dallas by themselves are much bigger then San Antonio and Austin combined.
Austin and SA are influence by Dallas and Houston in terms of sports(Cowboys, Texans, Stars, Astros, Rangers etc), but after that I don't really see much else they influence SA and Austin in. Maybe migration patterns of young blacks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City