U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-30-2010, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,250,388 times
Reputation: 2929

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Uh afonega1! How about you don't comment nothing else I say unless you read it first. I mean you can comment on whatever you want, but when you make it obvious that you don't even know what I'm talking about that takes away from the comment.

1)Nowhere in this post have I said that Houston or Dallas was the "capital".
2)You keep listing these facts about Atlanta, what does have to do with being a capital.
3)Poverty, GWaC ratings, how many international visitors, income, etc. has NOTHING to do with being capital of a region.
4)At the end of the day Atlanta does not influence the south as a whole any more than any other city. Just accept it.

The new argument now seems to be "well, Atlanta influences most of the south so it's the capital." MOST (which is a stretch) AIN'T ALL. There are still a lot of people in this region who barely think of Atlanta. Go tell them that Atlanta is their capital. Take out the border states and Atlanta's influence doesn't go that far. The distance from Texas and Houston to the center of Mississippi is about the same as the distance from Atlanta to the same point. Not really that much bigger. You can list whatever you want to list, most of that just says that Atlanta is an important/major city but capital it is not.

Somebody tried to throw out the D.C. comparison saying "Oh, but D.C. is governmental so it's not the same thing". Uh, no. No matter what kind of influence D.C. has, it influences the entire region that it is capital of. Atlanta nor any other city does this for the south. To be capital of something you have to influence the whole thing. Just like London, Milan, New York, and Paris are fashion capitols; they influence the entire fashion industry. Not just big parts of it.
There is no NEW argument.I have not changed NOT one bit!
Are YOU actually under the impression that this is to be a "literal" thread?
How come it is that I post things that we know about both cities,ask your input if I forgot something on Houston,but no has anything to add but what I had the AUDACITY to add?

You guys are playing real ignorant (or maybe not).If the question was asked what is the "capital" of the Midwest.People would overwhelmingly say Chicago.
Stop insulting yours and my intelligence that this is more than just a hypothetical debate.I would hope around intelligent people like your self that their is no NEED for ne to reiterate a mut point like their is only ONE capital!

If I said the capital of the Southwest then apparently its cool to say the capital is Houston.However encroaching on territory that is you all area,all of sudden YOUR rules change!

Its evident that almost 400 people have voted for Atlanta as the CLEAR winner in this poll.A 3 to 1 marginOnly a handful of you want to insist and make this a issue as if it were some sort of referendum or something.

What I posted was what supports my argument in what I see a capital as being.The capital of NY is Albany NOT NYC,but which influences which the most would you say?Hard question but yet valid.So stop putting your restraints on me becasue you disagree.

Sure is funny how the only people who disagree totally iare mainly the same few people from the start and all or from TX or NOLA!
Disagree and move on.

 
Old 09-30-2010, 06:49 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,250,388 times
Reputation: 2929
Quote:
Originally Posted by omg2010 View Post
right now its just an opinion and a opinion that seems to go in favor of atlanta. Whether one agrees or not with that nickname, it will always exist... No matter how much we debate against it. More people will always see atlanta as such.
exactly!! Rep for you!!
 
Old 09-30-2010, 07:05 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,250,388 times
Reputation: 2929
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Nickname -> Atlanta can have it all day long, nobody is disputing it
Officially -> No city can have it.

The argument isn't about the nickname, it's about whether there is an official capital.
If "southeasterners" were content with it being a nickname only there wouldn't be as many arguments that Atlanta is the capital as there are arguments against. Hell if the Atlantans in this thread didn't care and considered nothing more than a nickname they wouldn't waist to time to argue why Atlanta should represent the south and why Texas was irrelevent.

What's the deal?
NO!Thats YOUR argument!I have not heard anybody say this is Official"!WHO in their right mind would?
And that question goes both ways:If its not a big deal why bother trying to correct Atlanta posters.
Oh I guess its YOUR way or the high way.
"Im not crazy,they are"!
 
Old 09-30-2010, 07:08 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,250,388 times
Reputation: 2929
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Oh Gee we Atlantans gain so much from a nickname. ) But actually I believe yall are the ones taking it to the head as inferior complex as if it means something more which maybe is the reason yall are arguing and take it too serious. "Why is Atlanta call the capital of south I donít feel it's are capital" LMAO capitial of the south is a nickname nearly a old slogan.
REP ONE FOR YOU!!
 
Old 09-30-2010, 07:48 PM
 
4,677 posts, read 8,028,531 times
Reputation: 1235
On a side note, a shout out to Charlotte's growing influence. It has 3% of the vote. All hail the Queen City!
 
Old 10-01-2010, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 28,089,031 times
Reputation: 7598
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
The reason why it's called Americas team is because there is a significant number of Cowboys fans all across the US, who aren't even from the Dallas area(kinda like the Lakers and Yankees). It's called America's team for a good reason.
There is a significant number of many NFL teams all around the country too. For the many sports including the NFL there are many teams like that. There are also just as many people, if not more who hate the cowboys.

Tying that back to the capital of the south, there are many who refer to ATL as the Capital, but there are many who do the same with Houston too.
 
Old 10-01-2010, 10:41 AM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,598,486 times
Reputation: 7259
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I don't understand how this has been debated for 185 pages. I'm not going to get into the bickering from the usual suspects/asshats, but as for my opinion:

Atlanta dominates the Southeastern portion of the South while Dallas/Houston share the Western South (LA/OK/AR/Eastex).

I lived in Mississippi for 9 years, and I always thought that the state was the transition zone between the dominant southern cities in terms of deference and influence. There was just as much of an Atlanta influence as a Dallas and Houston influence in many areas. However, I'd say that South Mississippi seemed to be the most influenced by Houston.

Many of my HS and college classmates who moved out of town tended to go towards Atlanta and Houston with Dallas being slightly behind.

I will say this again, but one way I knew Mississippi was a transition zone was from the music we would get. I knew of New Orleans bounce and Memphis hip-hop of course, but we got a lot of Texas rappers and Atlanta rappers getting airplay on the radio or from Mixtapes.

But everyone knows the true capital of North Mississippi is Memphis and the capital of South Mississippi is New Orleans.


Louisiana is split between Houston and Dallas. There is very little, if any Atlanta influence/deference in Louisiana.

North Carolina is somewhat of a transition zone between Atlanta and DC. Once you get towards Raleigh-Durham, the deference to DC is a lot more clear. As for Virginia, come on...Very little if any of the Old Dominion has any sort of deference to Atlanta.

Atlanta carries a big stick, but not for all of the south. I voted for Atlanta though. When people think of the South, many automatically think of the Southeast, and Atlanta is in the middle of that region, so that's what I'm basing my vote on. Houston and Dallas lie on the edge of what is generally thought of as the South by many.

Let me be clear, I do think most of Texas is part of the South, but as I've pointed out before, most people are ignorant when it comes to geography and culture. People still want to debate whether or not Texas is a part of the South.
I agree with everything you said; especially about the Atlanta influencing VA thing. I've been to VA many times and ATL isn't never irrelevant within any discussion. I hear lots about Charlotte and DC though.
 
Old 10-01-2010, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 28,089,031 times
Reputation: 7598
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Both.
I will have to disagree with you there. ATL is on the eastern corner of the south, while Houston is on the western corner.


The bulk of the south's population is also divided into polar regions, with the west south central having the most population followed by the south atlantic and then the central portion has the least.



The WSC area has 37 million people.

The South Atlantic region has 28 Million. So in terms of geographic area and population you are wrong on both counts
 
Old 10-01-2010, 11:01 AM
 
Location: America
5,098 posts, read 7,563,597 times
Reputation: 1934
sorry to disappoint you afonega, but the high number of votes for atlanta only shows posters' ignorance about the texas cities. comments like "houston isn't really southern" or "dallas isn't the south" proves that many people know little to nothing about these cities, which is sad.

now i'm not saying that houston or dallas are the capitals of the south, but people are only voting for atlanta by default. most aren't giving their selection any real consideration

and one of these days, people will finally come to realize that the southeast =/= the south
 
Old 10-01-2010, 11:07 AM
eek
 
Location: Queens, NY
3,576 posts, read 6,636,843 times
Reputation: 1422
i'm a northerner...
but from my experience, there are three capitals. houston, atl and washington dc. it matters which of these cities you're closer to, as far as influence goes.

just my personal opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top