U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 03:26 AM

4,229 posts, read 4,116,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
People always think that but actually ATL is on the eastern fringe of the South, it is not centralized at all. The center of the south is somewhere in Louisianna or maybe western Alabama.

Atlanta is just as far from the western end of the south as Houston and Dallas are from the eastern side.

Why on earth would you think something that far east would be centralized???
I'm sorry if this is a little long but you seen worse.

This is perfectly! what I'm talking about "Texans views of themselves and the south vs most of the country of the south". I know it's weird that outsiders telling Texans who they are against Texans view of themselves, and what is the south, I understand the weirdness. But only Texans would call Atlanta "eastern fringe"

1) You realize that the entire state south Carolina, Majority of NC which a is horizontal state like TN, the entire state of NC if you include east of city of Atlanta itself, As well as majority of VA is east of metro Atlanta? The Atlantic coast has it's back and fourth with bays and etc. But overall the majority the coast is diagonal until it makes a inward crest in Georgia, Then what your left with the florida peninsula goes back east. Wilmington going eastward "I'm not taking northeastward just eastward" is like going to Memphis. Atlanta is NOT the eastern fringe of the south. It's not perfectly the center of either that would be Alabama. Atlanta is like next to center of south. And it's by far the largest city close to the center of the south. This what's in most people minds.

2) But lets say Atlanta is with in the eastern fringe of the south for hell of it. Buts let's pick center of population. The population centers of the south is like, VA, GA, NC, FL, and TX 4 of which are of the Eastern Atlantic states. The south Atlantic coast has be around double of Texas pop.

FL 19 mil
NC & GA 19 mil
SC & VA 12 mil
Total 60 million

TX & OK 29 million

TN & KY 10 million
Al, MS, 7 million
LA & AR 7 million
Total 25 million
I throw in a extra 2 million because the extra thousands would add up another million in this case

The Eastern fringe 60 million
The western fringe 29 million
Center states 25 million

The Eastern fringe is more populated than the center states and the western fringe states combined. The center of population for the south would probably still be North AL, maybe East TN either or Atlanta by far would be the most populated metro close the center of population for the south.

Also with half of the southern population on what your calling the eastern fringe do you believe people in these states are considering themselves on the "fringe" ? Never the less Atlanta which is west of most of this population? And make so bad The bulk the Texas population is in East Texas and the TX triangle. But that your Answer.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:35 AM

14,006 posts, read 21,961,418 times
Quote:
that is what you think? The south has over 100M people, now I know you don't think most of that lives in Georgia and and the Carolinas
GA
NC
SC
FLA
AL
TN
VA
KY

I'd say most of those states constitute the Eastern South. And technically you can't add ALL of Texas population into the population of the South, since part of the state isn't even part of the South.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:37 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,822,153 times
The only choices on the poll should be Atlanta, Dallas, DC, Houston, and Miami because they are the largest and all are about similar in size. The cultural capital is Atlanta handily, the power capital is DC, the most well renown name is Miami, the size is Dallas, and the economic strength is Houston. All 5 can technically claim 'capital of the south' but the one that makes most sense is obviously Atlanta. For the location, culture, Olympics, and branding its easily Atlanta IMO

Dallas- 6.7 million
Houston- 6.1 million
DC- 5.6 million
Atlanta- 5.6 million
Miami- 5.6 million

Historically Savannah, Charleston, New Orleans, and Memphis can lay claim as well but in modern times they are out of the loop. Keep an eye on Nashville, the south's latest rising star, embodies magnificent southern culture, music, and cuisine IMO

Old 01-11-2012, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Historically its New Orleans, no question. New Orleans has three times as much history as Atlanta, but Atlanta is more recent so that's how we take it.

From Dallas to Jacksonville, NC is roughly 1200mi, center is pretty much Birmingham.
Dallas to Savannah is 1000mi, halfway is Meridian, MS.

What on Earth are you considering the south?
Jacksonville is not as east as the NC coast that's what I'm talking about. Yall are using the Atlantic coast as a altogether eastern finish line, when the Atlantic coast curves. Mean while over 98% VA and NC are east of the Atlanta. !00% of SC, and like 70% of Florida is east of Atlanta. I understand how much is west of Atlanta but Atlanta is not the eastern fringe. Atlanta is like dead on the Eastern center of south. And this is political geography.

Than If you look at the population the majority of the south, actually a little more than half of the Southern US pop is east of Atlanta ironically.

Even with your ideal "Birmingham is the center" Atlanta is still by far the largest metro close to the center of the south. I really don't even understand the debate, Miami, Houston, DFW are closer to Birmingham than Atlanta?

Old 01-11-2012, 04:16 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,822,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Miami, Houston, DC, DFW are closer to Birmingham than Atlanta?
.... Insertion above in bold

Old 01-11-2012, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
GA
NC
SC
FLA
AL
TN
VA
KY

I'd say most of those states constitute the Eastern South. And technically you can't add ALL of Texas population into the population of the South, since part of the state isn't even part of the South.
Agree and I missed that post.

"The south has over 100M people, now I know you don't think most of that lives in Georgia and and the Carolinas"

Well the south is about 114,555,744 but over 60 million stay in the south Atlantic states alone without MD. Most of the south doesn't stay in GA and the Carolinas, but from VA to FL not just most but the majority of the south "yes" actually does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
.... Insertion above in bold
That still works,

Old 01-11-2012, 04:41 AM

15,989 posts, read 29,790,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I'm sorry if this is a little long but you seen worse.

This is perfectly! what I'm talking about "Texans views of themselves and the south vs most of the country of the south". I know it's weird that outsiders telling Texans who they are against Texans view of themselves, and what is the south, I understand the weirdness. But only Texans would call Atlanta "eastern fringe"
Because it is. That's like me saying "Only people east of us would think Texas is west".

Old 01-11-2012, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Because it is. That's like me saying "Only people east of us would think Texas is west".
But there's a huge population differences. East of the the MS river let alone east of Texas. But this is a part of my experiences in Texas. I going to call it the Pimp C syndrome. I knew enough Texans calling Atlanta too east, meanwhile most of the south population is actually east of Atlanta. Atlanta is very east of Texas because everything southern nearly is! I'm mean the southeast is every state in the south besides TX & OK.

And again there's nearly 3 southern states VA, NC, and SC that are east of the city of Atlanta. NC is long east west like TN. Yall are using the Atlantic coast as a altogether eastern finish line, when the Atlantic coast curves.

Seriously to Wellington NC is farther east then Memphis is west from Atlanta. If you go south of Norfolk to Atlanta Latitude you be in the ocean. It's like calling Memphis the northern fringe of south because KY is a southern state when MO is not.

Last edited by chiatldal; 01-11-2012 at 06:35 AM..

Old 01-11-2012, 07:57 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,323,184 times
Quote:
it goes north to south everywhere. Not just along the eastern seaboard.

Fact remains: The geographical center is just a bit north of Monroe Louisiana.
I will give you a ruler too, so you can help Annie measure it.
Ugh. It's like trying to teach math to 2nd grader.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:02 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,323,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Historically its New Orleans, no question. New Orleans has three times as much history as Atlanta, but Atlanta is more recent so that's how we take it.
New Orleans was at one point the major city of the south, but the city is far too unique, and it doesn't have that same connection to most subregions of the south that Atlanta did and still does.

Now, if someone wanted to say that New Orleans is the capital of the Deep South, I would certainly entertain that thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City