U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 12:55 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,360,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
See I don't see that in the people here. The people are just people with no exceptionally unique flair like in other highly cultured cities.
Oh, like Baton Rouge, huh?

Maybe some people just can't pick up on it. And before you suggest it, no, its not just because I'm from here. I've heard out of towners say the same. There's just something special about Houston.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:09 AM

13,983 posts, read 18,780,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Oh, like Baton Rouge, huh?

Maybe some people just can't pick up on it. And before you suggest it, no, its not just because I'm from here. I've heard out of towners say the same. There's just something special about Houston.
Baton Rougeans* have more of a flair because it's in south Louisiana and less transplants than Houston.
I honestly don't see it.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Baton Rougeans* have more of a flair because it's in south Louisiana and less transplants than Houston.
Fair enough. Small cities do tend to be more unique due to the fact that there are less outsiders. Still, this has more to do with the sense of community and specific shared cultures. This isn't saying that Baton Rougeans are more interesting people than Houstonians.
Quote:
I honestly don't see it.
Well, like I said, some people can't pick up on it.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:47 AM

14,008 posts, read 22,017,852 times
Quote:
No, it's not the same thing because Florida isn't even near the north. Oklahoma is definitely near the Deep South, so the influence is obviously more organic.

It's really not all that debatable whether Oklahoma is currently part of the south. It definitely is.
It's not debatable? If Texas was able to debated, if NORTHWEST Texas like Amarillo is able to be debated, Oklahoma sure as heck is easily debatable. How is a state that was never part of the confederacy non-debatable Southern? My issue isn't calling it Southern, my issue is people automatically with no debate calling it Southern like "Of course it's Southern", OK isn't that Southern. Heck, If Virginia, a state that housed the Capital Of The Confederacy is debatable, than Oklahoma is debatable.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
It's not debatable? If Texas was able to debated, if NORTHWEST Texas like Amarillo is able to be debated, Oklahoma sure as heck is easily debatable. How is a state that was never part of the confederacy non-debatable Southern? My issue isn't calling it Southern, my issue is people automatically with no debate calling it Southern like "Of course it's Southern", OK isn't that Southern. Heck, If Virginia, a state that housed the Capital Of The Confederacy is debatable, than Oklahoma is debatable.
Much of Oklahoma identifies with the south, and the culture is definitely there. That's my only point. Kentucky wasn't a Confederate state either, but people seem a lot quicker to make an argument for it being southern.

Confederacy =/= southern today. Y'all put far too much emphasis on that.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:49 AM

13,983 posts, read 18,780,059 times
Quote:
Fair enough. Small cities do tend to be more unique due to the fact that there are less outsiders. Still, this has more to do with the sense of community and specific shared cultures. This isn't saying that Baton Rougeans are more interesting people than Houstonians.

True, we aren't more interesting than Houstonians but have more interestingly cultured from the local area.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:17 AM

4,235 posts, read 4,135,725 times
Quote:
That's like saying Florida became part of the Bosh-Wash corridor due to the migration of Northerners to Miami in the 20th century. Florida is Florida. OK is OK. Never was a confederate state, so it may not be automatically non-Southern, but it's definitely debatable.
The difference is

1. OK is right next to the south
2. Geographically it makes sense
3. Resident of OK identify themselves as southerns
4. There's 4 other southern states that wasn't a part of the confederates states.

Quote:
Your taking these states as whole, part of these state aren't southern! other parts clearly are! El paso isn't southern but tell someone in Austin that Austin isn't the south and they will look at you crazy. No one says Northwest just west Texas, unless your taking about The Texas Panhandle.

Anyway Yes Amarillo is able to be debated, But OK like Texas is not monolithic. Eastern Oklahoma is like East Texas and Arkansas, While South central and Central Oklahoma is like North Texas that's DFW region. Oklahoma city and Tulsa are also the western fringe of the south or better North western fringe. Which runs along with the Texas cities of SA, Austin, Houston, and Dallas-Fort Worth.

I hate when the south is define by negative things such as slavery and jim crow but since were on it. We know OK was indian territory, Ok wasn't even a state then but if it was, it probably would had join the south. I mean look at Kansas history it was nearly a confederate state. Then later on OK was well apart of the Jim crow south, Tulsa's Black wall street and etc.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Oklahoma city and Tulsa are also the western fringe of the south or better North western fringe. Which runs along with the Texas cities of SA, Austin, Houston, and Dallas-Fort Worth.
Well, I don't see how the border could run through each of these. Houston is really the only one that's solidly in the south. Dallas is as well, but to a lesser extent.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:39 AM

18,509 posts, read 27,326,748 times
Quote:

there is a friendliness in Houston that I notice transplants pick up real quick. I had a professor from SoCal that was kinda cold when she first got here, but after she settled in she picked up a lot of Houstonianisms

Old 01-19-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
there is a friendliness in Houston that I notice transplants pick up real quick. I had a professor from SoCal that was kinda cold when she first got here, but after she settled in she picked up a lot of Houstonianisms
So does she say "nomtombot" now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City