U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 12:56 PM

14,007 posts, read 21,986,336 times

Advertisements

Heck, most of Miami's corporate influence reaches to Latin-America. All the Latin-themed, Latin-HQ's are in Miami. If Atlanta had presidence over all of that, than I can understand. But for the most part, if some company, and or store, etc, etc, wants to do business and or anything else involving Miami, they won't talk to Atlanta to do it. Atl is pretty far.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:56 PM

13,976 posts, read 18,739,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Yes, it is true and hardly foolish. Get your head out of the sand.

Atlanta via the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta runs banking in 38 Parishes of Southern Louisiana and 43 Counties of Southern Mississippi. Runs, as in supplies the cash to all of your banks, supervises all of your banks, processes your checks and sets monetary policy for ALL of your banks. That's just for starters.

New Orleans Branch

Again, in the corporate world and the Federal agency world, Atlanta runs a huge part of your lives. The largest corporate employer in the Biloxi/Gulfport area is owned by an Atlanta company, and there is a huge amount of travel back and forth.

These attempts to minimize Atlanta's influence on the region are ridiculous.
Remind me what this has to do with influence again.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:58 PM

7,732 posts, read 11,780,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
From a sphere of influence standpoint, Atl's influence doesn't go South of Jacksonville. There may be certain things that Atlanta reigns over the region in, such as the federal reserve, but as far as overall influence, importance, etc Most of Florida sticks looks to it's own. Atlanta is too far from most of heavily populated Florida.
Again, in the corporate world and Federal agency world, totally wrong. You have absolutely no idea how much influence is wielded from here over the entire State, including ALL of South Florida.

The air traffic back and forth on a daily basis would blow you away. Think about it - almost every major company in Florida that isn't based there in all probability answers to the regional HQ's in Atlanta. Every single Federal agency (with the exception of NASA) RUNS Florida from their Atlanta offices. Every single one. Including the Courts.

I'm trying to find the air traffic stats now......

All I'm trying to say, and I will say it again and again and again - In the world of business and the world of Federal agencies, Atlanta runs large portions of the South, not just the Southeast.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Remind me what this has to do with influence again.
Money and jobs make the world go 'round, my friend. If that isn't influence, then what is?

If you are talking cultural influence, then we agree.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:03 PM

27,786 posts, read 24,838,814 times
Quote:
Explain why.
I went back and edited my post with a little more explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am a Southerner, born and bred, and no . . . Atlanta is not the capitol of the South. There is no capitol of the South.

Have you been to Atlanta lately? It is not the city it was 20 years ago. The Olympics were part of Atlanta's past. No way they would get the Olympics today. Too trashy and too much crime. The infrastructure of that city is falling apart.
When's the last time you visited Atlanta? It doesn't sound like it's been recently.

Quote:
I meant to East at 1st. I mistakenly said West of Tallahassee, but I was actually right in my mistake. Because Mobile and all those other gulf cities probably look to New Orleans rather than Atlanta.
NOLA and Atlanta, while having some overlap, also occupy different niches in terms of influence. Atlanta definitely has a pull on the Alabama Gulf Coast.

Quote:
From a sphere of influence standpoint, Atl's influence doesn't go South of Jacksonville. There may be certain things that Atlanta reigns over the region in, such as the federal reserve, but as far as overall influence, importance, etc Most of Florida sticks looks to it's own. Atlanta is too far from most of heavily populated Florida.
I can agree with this.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:08 PM

13,976 posts, read 18,739,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Money and jobs make the world go 'round, my friend. If that isn't influence, then what is?

If you are talking cultural influence, then we agree.
Corporate/federal influence is redundant. U-Haul pays me from Phoenix, do they influence Houston all of a sudden?

Old 01-21-2012, 01:10 PM

14,007 posts, read 21,986,336 times
But logically, if it's a FEDERAL agency as you say, wouldn't all eventually go back to DC? It's pretty much the equivalent to what Miami's Latin-American HQ's of American companies are to Latin-America. Microsoft may have it's Latin-American HQ's in Miami, but that doesn't make Miami the "capital" of Microsoft, nor does it mean it's where Microsoft's HQ is. And it all depends which companies are HQ'ed in Florida. If those companies are companies that are HQ'd in Atlanta, than YES they do have presidence over it's Florida branches. But the number of companies are too far and wide to count which is which. The people who work at Home Depot in Miami answering to people in the GA HQ's is no different than someone who owns all the Burger Kings in Atlanta answering to the HQ's in Miami.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Heck, most of Miami's corporate influence reaches to Latin-America. All the Latin-themed, Latin-HQ's are in Miami. If Atlanta had presidence over all of that, than I can understand. But for the most part, if some company, and or store, etc, etc, wants to do business and or anything else involving Miami, they won't talk to Atlanta to do it. Atl is pretty far.
And Sony-Erickson moved their Latin American HQ's here last year, merged it with the Raleigh division and renamed it the America's HQ's.

Why? To be closer to their largest client, AT&T Mobility. You guys are refusing to look at the total picture.

There is a reason there is more office space and hotel rooms here than in all of Southeast Florida.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Corporate/federal influence is redundant. U-Haul pays me from Phoenix, do they influence Houston all of a sudden?
I guess you don't involve yourself with anything related to banking when in Lousiana? You just refuse to admit that you are wrong, or just can't wrap your head around Atlanta's influence of the region.

I don't like to refer to poll numbers ususally, but it appears that quite a few here "get it."

Old 01-21-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
But logically, if it's a FEDERAL agency as you say, wouldn't all eventually go back to DC?
Yes, it would. But they HAVE to come through here before they can ever reach D.C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City