U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 11:30 PM

3,447 posts, read 5,584,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
DC dominates the federal agency world. And NYC dominates the corporate world. Atlanta may be a HUGE regional city as far as large companies HQ's go, but it's no different than Miami being an HQ center for Latin-American versions of large American companies. Heck, Universal Music Latino is HQ'd in Miami Beach. That doesn't mean Miami's sphere of influence extends to Rio. Most Floridians look to Miami as the "large" city as far as Sphere of Influence. I think we're getting these 2 arguments mixed up. But, I agree, as a whole, ATL is the capital, due to it's geography and history. I think Atlanta is a WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more influential city all over the South than Miami will ever be.
I'd like to jump in here as a Floridian currently not living in either of the cities being discussed here and because I respect both of these posters who are going back and forth here. I also feel like my location in Central Florida is good for this discussion since I am in between Miami's sphere of influence and Atlanta's.

Okay so let's talk Atlanta first, which I can say comes up very little in our daily lives in Florida. I think many would agree that Florida has a unique feel and character that unites almost all of it's cities and towns thus forging a sense of similarity and fellowship that is tremendously intrastate only. However, I fully agree with the statement that in terms of federal oversight, transportation, corporate logistics, and a few other more practical senses, Atlanta has vast influence over all of Florida, Miami included.

Miami on the other hand is a very secluded region in terms of influence on the surrounding state. It could actually be said that culturally, Miami has more influence on the carribean islands around it than the rest of Florida. Never once have I missed out on a great concert since Miami had it and Orlando/Tampa did not. Many times just the opposite will occur and major non-latin based entertainment will bypass the south Florida market for Central and West Coast Florida. Miami due to it's overwhelmingly specific demographic, doesn't have widespread appeal across all tastes. But Miami is quintessential Florida and it's vibe, feel, and layout are similar to many locations across the state. Its sports teams are watched throughout the state in secondary markets, not Atlanta's.

Personally, I think Florida's major cities are entirely different animals. They all have a direct connection to the places their populations are coming from, somewhere up north. Also being a state that hasn't been extended full membership into the south both culturally and geographically (peninsula sticking off the south and not being completely surrounded by it) makes it hard to pinpoint who's sphere of influence we fall into. Florida's secondary major cities and towns offer so much on their own, it's hard to imagine any situation where I'd have to go as far as Miami or Atlanta for anything, connecting flights included. However when I do connect, it's always Atlanta and never Miami so I guess by default, I'm gonna vote for Atlanta on this one. Also, this thread talks about Capital of the South and not capital of Florida so it's pretty clear Miami has little influence outside of south Florida in the south. Go to small town SC or TN and they talk about trips to Atlanta like we in Florida do about going back to Chicago or New York.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:01 AM

14,005 posts, read 21,953,057 times
I never argued Miami having influence on anywhere outside of Florida. Of course you'll always connect in Atlanta over Miami. It makes more sense geographically, unless you're going to the Caribbean. I was talking more about CULTURAL influence. Culturally, like you said, the Florida cities look to their own, rather than out of state.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:41 AM

13,976 posts, read 18,695,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
I have been reading your posts for months now and I also love New Orleans to death, just as I do for the entire south but you come off quite misinformed IMO.

Atlanta is a metropolis just as Houston, Miami, Dallas, and DC are in the south. The only cities that deserve to be in the debate are those 5, just as the Midwest reigns under Chicago, the West under LA, and the Northeast under NY the south reigns under one of these 5 similarly sized metros: Atlanta, Dallas, DC, Houston, Miami. In todays time history has less bearing than economy/money/power/influence and lets be straight about it, the south is dominated by the big 5 southern metropolises.

New Orleans is bite sized in comparison to a Atlanta, Dallas, DC, Houston, or Miami and their economies dwarf New Orleans. Look at the big companies each of those metropolises have and look at the power those corporate bureaucrats hold in this world.

Also all this chatter of Atlanta's dominance and culture is meaningless, Atlanta is and will always continue to be a powerful force in the region. BTW, I am also sure Atlanta is one of the most diverse metros in the country. I really like Atlanta and these days I sure miss that beautiful Georgian city more. I need to come back to Atlanta next time as a permanent resident, I feel I would like a Miami/Atlanta/DC combo more than a Miami/Seattle/DC combo.
I don't see your point, I never argued Atlanta's importance on the region, just Louisiana. I never put New Orleans as one of the souths big 4.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:22 PM

13,094 posts, read 15,900,406 times
Did somebody actually try to claim that Atlanta's IMPORTS come via New Orleans?! LOL .... uh ... NO! Atlanta's IMPORTS (and exports) flow through the Port of Savannah -- 4th largest container port in the US, second-busiest on the East Coast! In the grand scheme of things, New Orleans has little to do with the economy of Atlanta ... But Atlanta most definitely influences the economy of New Orleans.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Did somebody actually try to claim that Atlanta's IMPORTS come via New Orleans?! LOL .... uh ... NO! Atlanta's IMPORTS (and exports) flow through the Port of Savannah -- 4th largest container port in the US, second-busiest on the East Coast! In the grand scheme of things, New Orleans has little to do with the economy of Atlanta ... But Atlanta most definitely influences the economy of New Orleans.
How is that?

Old 01-24-2012, 11:52 PM

15,989 posts, read 29,779,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
You sure about that???

Atlanta Gas Shortage - YouTube

Old 01-25-2012, 04:03 AM

4,229 posts, read 4,114,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
You sure about that???

Atlanta Gas Shortage - YouTube
Yall kill me with the energy thing,

49% of the Energy we use is foreign. Than of the 51% Louisiana ranks fourth in petroleum production. Texas alone makes over 30%. I'm not saying LA isn't signification because it is. But in terms of everything the Energy use from LA overall has to be less than 10%, Also LA play a major part but Texas, and generally the gulf refineries were all down.

EIA's Energy in Brief: How dependent are we on foreign oil?

Old 01-25-2012, 07:41 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,685,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post

49% of the Energy we use is foreign. Than of the 51% Louisiana ranks fourth in petroleum production. Texas alone makes over 30%. I'm not saying LA isn't signification because it is. But in terms of everything the Energy use from LA overall has to be less than 10%, Also LA play a major part but Texas, and generally the gulf refineries were all down.

I'm assuming you weren't living in the southeast when Katrina hit....

Old 01-25-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post

Yet a gas station in metro Atlanta was selling gas for $5.87 a gallon after the storm. Port Fourchon supplies 16% of all of the US crude oil and natural gas, losing a half a billion dollars a day when closed. Due to power outages, pipelines ceased operations that moves fuel to places like the northeast from the gulf coast. 24% of all natural gas is imported or extracted from the gulf coast and Katrina hit the entire coast, not just NOLA.
New Orleans does in fact influence the economy of Atlanta.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:27 PM

15,989 posts, read 29,779,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Yet a gas station in metro Atlanta was selling gas for $5.87 a gallon after the storm. Port Fourchon supplies 16% of all of the US crude oil and natural gas, losing a half a billion dollars a day when closed. Due to power outages, pipelines ceased operations that moves fuel to places like the northeast from the gulf coast. 24% of all natural gas is imported or extracted from the gulf coast and Katrina hit the entire coast, not just NOLA.
New Orleans does in fact influence the economy of Atlanta.
Take a pick. Which is more important?? Oil or Chick-fil-A. Tough decision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City