Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 12:33 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,362 times

Advertisements

Atlanta, obviously. I think the title has more to do with location than importance. Dallas, Atlanta, Houston and Miami are about the same in importance, well maybe not Miami-- it is just really popular and the southern hub of Latin America.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:30 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Coca Cola!
hhh well, I would rather drink Coca Cola than oil
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I agree and disagree with y'all on several points. I do think that Atlanta has a pull from Alabama, but it is not as big as people think.
I think ATL's pull (whatever that is) is often overblown.
It maybe be the biggest city in the south surrounded by the most small to mid sized city, but I would not say any city dominates the south.

ATL leads in connection to smaller cities
Houston leads in economic output, Foreign shipping and energy
DFW leads in size

And what is this incessant talk about the federal Reserve. The way some of you talk about it sounds like there is only one in the entire US. I keep hereaing about THE federal reserve the State of Missouri has two for chistsakes. There is 3 of them in the South. And NOLA was very close to getting one back in the day.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:34 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post

And what is this incessant talk about the federal Reserve. The way some of you talk about it sounds like there is only one in the entire US. I keep hereaing about THE federal reserve the State of Missouri has two for chistsakes. There is 3 of them in the South. And NOLA was very close to getting one back in the day.
It had an US Mint, the building is a museum now I think.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:07 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Quote:
hhh well, I would rather drink Coca Cola than oil

I think ATL's pull (whatever that is) is often overblown.
It maybe be the biggest city in the south surrounded by the most small to mid sized city, but I would not say any city dominates the south.

ATL leads in connection to smaller cities
Houston leads in economic output, Foreign shipping and energy
DFW leads in size

That's what I'm saying. It seems like the Atlanta posters think that Alabama looks up to Atlanta or something. I mean we literally have our own. Now if Atlanta was in Alabama or our cities were in Georgia, then Atlanta's effect on Birmingham and other Alabama cities would be more dominant. I think Atlanta has more of a "pull" from South Carolina than it does Alabama.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:12 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,019 times
Quote:
That's what I'm saying. It seems like the Atlanta posters think that Alabama looks up to Atlanta or something. I mean we literally have our own. Now if Atlanta was in Alabama or our cities were in Georgia, then Atlanta's effect on Birmingham and other Alabama cities would be more dominant. I think Atlanta has more of a "pull" from South Carolina than it does Alabama.

What>>>:thin k:

Old 01-26-2012, 03:41 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
That's probably my fault, and I was responding to someone that stated Atlanta had ZERO influence in Louisiana. Hardly true, as the New Orleans office is a branch of the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.

If you guys can go on an on and on about oil/refineries/pipelines, I can go on and on and on about the Federal agencies based here that impact other States. Pretty simple, really. Especially one that impacts our wallets and access to $$$$ on a daily basis.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:44 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Oh come on man. There isn't anything in Alabama on the level of Atlanta.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:55 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
That's probably my fault, and I was responding to someone that stated Atlanta had ZERO influence in Louisiana. Hardly true, as the New Orleans office is a branch of the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.

If you guys can go on an on and on about oil/refineries/pipelines, I can go on and on and on about the Federal agencies based here that impact other States. Pretty simple, really. Especially one that impacts our wallets and access to $$$$ on a daily basis.
not saying that it is not important. But it is not THE reserve bank, like I hear it being called. it is A reserve bank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Oh come on man. There isn't anything in Alabama on the level of Atlanta.
He never said there was. he just said the influence of ATL in Alabama is not as big as portrayed and that they have their own ****.

Yes there is influence and they go there for stuff but it is not as big as stated.

He didn't say they were the same, he simply said they have their own stuff.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:35 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
That's what I'm saying. It seems like the Atlanta posters think that Alabama looks up to Atlanta or something. I mean we literally have our own.
You are obviously misunderstanding the subject here. No one is saying that everyone in Alabama is running to Atlanta for everything, but let's not play stupid; there is plenty in Atlanta that Alabamians take advantage of that they lack at home, from pro sports, shopping, nightlife, the airport, special events, and the like.

Quote:
I think Atlanta has more of a "pull" from South Carolina than it does Alabama.
I completely disagree because SC has Charlotte to the north (Charlotte's MSA extends into SC) which blunts Atlanta's influence a bit. Even then, I don't see why you'd think Atlanta's influence on SC would be greater than its influence on AL. Both SC and AL are the same size and at least SC is a big coastal recreational magnet, even drawing some people from GA (e.g., Hilton Head, Charleston, Myrtle Beach). I know of plenty more native Alabamians that live here in Atlanta than South Carolinians, and that goes back to the competing influence of Charlotte on SC.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:06 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,896,154 times
I lived in Alabama for many years and I definitely felt like Atlanta had some "pull" on Alabama. Just a few examples: one of my relatives owned a retail store and went to Atlanta every year for big trade shows, lots of people went to Atlanta for big concerts/shows, lots of people went to Atlanta to shop, and people would occasionally go for a night out at high-end restaurants and/or clubs. Also, pretty much everyone I knew who followed MLB was a Braves fan, so lots of people went there for Braves games, as well as occasional Falcons, Hawks or the Peach Bowl. Also, many people watched CNN (esp before Fox News became so popular).

New Orleans and Birmingham were also destinations. New Orleans was more of a party atmosphere and was a longer trip. Birmingham offered some shopping, restaurants, etc, but not on the same level as Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City