U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 02:21 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,317,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I can see it there in those links. There really isn't any urban part of Shreveport outside of their very tiny downtown core. Most of Shreveport beginning immediately outside of the downtown is very suburban. That link of Houston is showing suburban Houston. Most post WW2 suburban areas of the sunbelt look alike. There are areas in NOVA and Suburban Maryland that look exactly like those two links.
Maybe, but I thought we were talking about terrain and the natural scenery. That's what I was getting at originally by saying the two cities resembled each other in some parts. The fact that they share many similarities in build and infrastructure only adds to that.

As for Northeast Louisiana, you are right in that it's generally the farther northern stretches of Houston that resemble that area the most.

Houston Texas - Google Maps

Old 01-29-2012, 02:28 PM

18,207 posts, read 25,896,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Maybe, but I thought we were talking about terrain and the natural scenery. That's what I was getting at originally by saying the two cities resembled each other in some parts. The fact that they share many similarities in build and infrastructure only adds to that.

As for Northeast Louisiana, you are right in that it's generally the farther northern stretches of Houston that resemble that area the most.

Houston Texas - Google Maps
Well yeah, we were talking about the terrain. Forgot that this was what we were actually talking about.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Houston is far too large for it to be 'mostly' urban. Nothing urban about anything outside of the loop, and certain neighborhoods like Upper Kirby aren't urban inside the loop.

Shreveport: Shreveport, LA - Google Maps
Houston: Houston, TX - Google Maps
(Damn Houston looks so much better!)

The style of homes are different than most in Baton Rouge but still reminds me of it because of the nearby colleges, etc...
Well of course. I call the inner loop plus Galleria the "city" part of Houston and the rest, the suburbs and it's only going to become more of that way in the coming decades as the inner loop increases in density.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Call me crazy, but I get more of a North/Central Texas vibe from those pictures. Shreveport and Dallas are more similar and connected than Houston and Shreveport. The infamous "urr" ending that is prominent in Dallas is common in Northern Lousiana.
How did we get to talking about culture and accents? I'm talking about scenery, and Houston is the only major Texas city that Shreveport strikingly resembles in terrain.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:34 PM

13,976 posts, read 18,695,428 times
Quote:
Well of course. I call the inner loop plus Galleria the "city" part of Houston and the rest, the suburbs and it's only going to become more of that way in the coming decades as the inner loop increases in density.
Well that's be ok if those were the cities boundaries but it's not.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Well that's be ok if those were the cities boundaries but it's not.
I know it's not. I'm just pointing something that basically Houston outside the loop is suburban and will remain suburban and Houston inside (while suburban itself, mostly) is consistently more dense, more walkable, and has a chance to become even more urban. There is more cohesion inside the loop than outside.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:42 PM

13,976 posts, read 18,695,428 times
Quote:
I know it's not. I'm just pointing something that basically Houston outside the loop is suburban and will remain suburban and Houston inside (while suburban itself, mostly) is consistently more dense, more walkable, and has a chance to become even more urban.
I agree.
Although Uptown and Bellaire may get denser. Uptown could have been so much better, city leaders really screwed that up.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:50 PM

15,989 posts, read 29,779,743 times
Quote:
How did we get to talking about culture and accents? I'm talking about scenery, and Houston is the only major Texas city that Shreveport strikingly resembles in terrain.
I know and your pictures remind me more of North Texas than the Houston area. Outside of vegetation; Shreveport and Dallas are pretty similar geographically and culturally. It doesn't really remind me of Houston.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
I know and your pictures remind me more of North Texas than the Houston area. Outside of vegetation; Shreveport and Dallas are pretty similar geographically and culturally. It doesn't really remind me of Houston.
I can see why you would say that, but no way do those parts of Shreveport look more like, say, Dallas or Waco than they do those shots of Houston I showed. Those last two shots of each city were damn near identical.

We could all go on with this all day, so I'd rather not.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:59 PM

15,989 posts, read 29,779,743 times
Quote:
I can see why you would say that, but no way do those parts of Shreveport look more like, say, Dallas or Waco than they do those shots of Houston I showed. Those last two shots of each city were damn near identical.

We could all go on with this all day, so I'd rather not.
That pictures that you show could easily have been in North Texas as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City