U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 01:25 PM

7,732 posts, read 7,306,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Everyone in metro Atlanta isn't gonna offer you tea and pie or cookies, there are buttholes everywhere you go, doesn't matter which side of the M-D you are on. With that said, I've never felt like people are nicer in Atlanta than they are in Miami.
LOL! Then you obviously weren't paying attention in Miami. And we are talking about Atlanta, not Thomasville. Of course nobody here is going to offer you tea and pie or cookies. They will perhaps let you in front of them in traffic, smile at you in a random interaction, hold the door for you and other niceties that aren't too common in a major metro located elsewhere. As far as traffic on the freeways, all bets are off when it comes to hopitality - for the most part.

And sorry, but anyone who claims Atlanta people are no nicer than Miamians isn't being truthful. Anyone that has spent any amount of time in both cities can certainly confirm this.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:30 PM

13,336 posts, read 13,336,425 times
West Texas DOES have desert, cacti, tumbleweed, Cowboys and Mexicans. And in Juarez(right across the boarder from El Paso) there are plenty of shoot-outs. Plenty of movies about West Texas like No Country For Old Men, capitalize HEAVY on the Texas stereotypes. But seeing that movie, some of those stereotypes have merit depending on which part of Texas you're talking about. West Texas holds true to those stereotypes, East Texas doesn't. Austin is and San Antonio are somewhere in-between.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:41 PM

8,937 posts, read 5,777,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
LOL! Then you obviously weren't paying attention in Miami. And we are talking about Atlanta, not Thomasville. Of course nobody here is going to offer you tea and pie or cookies. They will perhaps let you in front of them in traffic, smile at you in a random interaction, hold the door for you and other niceties that aren't too common in a major metro located elsewhere. As far as traffic on the freeways, all bets are off when it comes to hopitality - for the most part.
John, I can say with all sincerity that you just described Houston to a T. Don't forget how common it is to hear "yes ma'am", "no sir", "God bless you", etc.

Quote:
And sorry, but anyone who claims Atlanta people are no nicer than Miamians isn't being truthful. Anyone that has spent any amount of time in both cities can certainly confirm this.
No argument here. A lot of people will claim that the rudeness that South Florida is known for is due to the New Yorkers, but who knows.

Last edited by Nairobi; 02-01-2012 at 01:51 PM..

Old 02-01-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
West Texas DOES have desert, cacti, tumbleweed, Cowboys and Mexicans. And in Juarez(right across the boarder from El Paso) there are plenty of shoot-outs. Plenty of movies about West Texas like No Country For Old Men, capitalize HEAVY on the Texas stereotypes. But seeing that movie, some of those stereotypes have merit depending on which part of Texas you're talking about. West Texas holds true to those stereotypes, East Texas doesn't. Austin is and San Antonio are somewhere in-between.
Once again, my point flew over your head. I wasn't saying these things don't exist, I'm saying that a lot of people think that about pretty much ALL of Texas. They use one small and almost insignificant part of the state to label the entirety. And I wouldn't say that all of the stereotypes are completely full of merit. Some are rather absurd.

This is what I meant by shootouts:

High Noon (1952) - THE SHOOT-OUT - YouTube

Old 02-01-2012, 02:11 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,468,433 times
I personally feel the Texas cities to have far more in common with Western culture than cities further east, but that's me. Upon my initial trip to Houston, I did in fact see lots of boots and hats... same with Dallas. Please understand that is not to suggest everyone is an example, there was just noticeably more of it than any other place that I had visited prior. I actually thought it was kind of cool, and surprisingly in line with what I expected.

Not that this is some sort of scientific experiment, but lets look at some examples to see if any visible differences stand out between random Houston residents versus those of Atlanta. This is just for fun before anyone gets their BVD's in a wad.

Flash Mob at Aquarium Downtown, Houston, TX 10/16/10 - YouTube

Flash Mob at Americas Mart in Atlanta 1/14/12 - YouTube

Last edited by Aficionado; 02-01-2012 at 02:20 PM..

Old 02-01-2012, 02:25 PM

13,336 posts, read 13,336,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Once again, my point flew over your head. I wasn't saying these things don't exist, I'm saying that a lot of people think that about pretty much ALL of Texas. They use one small and almost insignificant part of the state to label the entirety. And I wouldn't say that all of the stereotypes are completely full of merit. Some are rather absurd.

This is what I meant by shootouts:

High Noon (1952) - THE SHOOT-OUT - YouTube
That movie wasn't about modern day Texas(You think West Texas was 100% tamed and settled back then?). And since when was West Texas insignificant? It's still a pretty LARGE area land-wise. West Texas is what it is. I hate stereotypes also, but why do some people want 95% of Texas to viewed as GA, when it's not....Texas is a LARGE state. It's gonna have areas that don't reflect any of the stereotypes people think of Texas, and it's gonna have parts that are exactly what people thought of Texas. It is what it is. Every stereotype comes from some sort of truth. Houston is unmistakably Southern. No doubt. But West Texas(and Austin) are Southern, but have some TRUTHS to their history and current culture that make them look, well, not so "Southern."

Old 02-01-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionado View Post
I personally feel the Texas cities to have far more in common with Western culture than cities further east, but that's me. Upon my initial trip to Houston, I did in fact see lots of boots and hats... same with Dallas. Please understand that is not to suggest everyone is an example, there was just noticeably more of it than any other place that I had visited prior. I actually thought it was kind of cool, and surprisingly in line with what I expected.
Nowadays, every Sunbelt city has more in common with each other than other place. It doesn't matter if it's Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Phoenix, Denver, etc. But getting down to the exclusive cultures, no, the Texas cities do not have more in common with the west than they do with southern cities further east. And that isn't even about opinion or observation. It's pretty much a statement of fact. Visiting and really getting to know these places are two different things.

I'm always quite amused when I hear some people on here pointing out how they see a lot of cowboy/western wear out here in Texas, when I've been a Houstonian for decades and I rarely see anyone walking around in that stuff.

Quote:
Not that this is some sort of scientific experiment, but lets look at some examples to see if any visible differences stand out between random Houston residents versus those of Atlanta. This is just for fun before anyone gets their BVD's in a wad.

Flash Mob at Aquarium Downtown, Houston, TX 10/16/10 - YouTube

Flash Mob at Americas Mart in Atlanta 1/14/12 - YouTube
I don't get it. Flash mobs are corny.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
That movie wasn't about modern day Texas(You think West Texas was 100% tamed and settled back then?).
That movie wasn't about anything. It was a fictional story, which was set in New Mexico. I just used that as an example as to what I was talking about.

I'm going to start keeping the count the number of times you can't understand what I'm clearly saying.

Quote:
And since when was West Texas insignificant? It's still a pretty LARGE area land-wise. West Texas is what it is. I hate stereotypes also, but why do some people want 95% of Texas to viewed as GA, when it's not....
Considering that the majority of the state's population lives on the I-35 corridor and eastward, I'd say that WT is rather insignificant to the culture of most of the state.

No one wants Texas to be viewed as any state in the southeast. But what's funny is, East Texas and the Piney Woods are much larger (land wise and maybe in pop.) than any part of the state that is actually desert or adheres to most of the stereotypes of Texas, yet it isn't common to see all of Texas sold as being like Louisiana or Mississippi. You'd probably be up in arms if it were, yet you seem to be not the least bothered with all of the outdated Wild Wild West nonsense, when that mess doesn't even begin to define most of the people that live there.

Quote:
Texas is a LARGE state. It's gonna have areas that don't reflect any of the stereotypes people think of Texas, and it's gonna have parts that are exactly what people thought of Texas. It is what it is. Every stereotype comes from some sort of truth. Houston is unmistakably Southern. No doubt. But West Texas(and Austin) are Southern, but have some TRUTHS to their history and current culture that make them look, well, not so "Southern."
A lot of people think Texas looks like this:

http://th03.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/...gn-d3a1qmf.jpg

and it doesn't. So no, Texas does not live up to every stereotype.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:10 PM

7,732 posts, read 7,306,698 times
Quote:
John, I can say with all sincerity that you just described Houston to a T. Don't forget how common it is to hear "yes ma'am", "no sir", "God bless you", etc.
Well, that's very cool. I would probably really like it there then.

Quote:
No argument here. A lot of people will claim that the rudeness that South Florida is known for is due to the New Yorkers, but who knows.
Several of my friends/neighbors are from South Florida. I lived in Florida for years. There is simply no comparison, as anyone with experience in both will swear to. I'm sure the remark I responded to was just another little dig at Atlanta....

Old 02-01-2012, 03:49 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,468,433 times
Quote:
Nowadays, every Sunbelt city has more in common with each other than other place. It doesn't matter if it's Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Phoenix, Denver, etc. But getting down to the exclusive cultures, no, the Texas cities do not have more in common with the west than they do with southern cities further east. And that isn't even about opinion or observation. It's pretty much a statement of fact. Visiting and really getting to know these places are two different things.
I'm not denying that at all, I was simply offering my personal experiences as a 'tourist.' Keep in mind this was during my stint in South Louisiana, about a decade ago. Surely things have changed since that time frame, but I stand to gain nothing from embellishment. I have always liked the Texas cities.

I've spent more work related time in Dallas recently, and while the influence doesn't necessarily jump off the page, to minimize it (which is what I feel is taking place here) seems equally myopic. No one is saying they were greeted by Cowboys/Indians upon their arrival, but it absolutely feels different from southern cities/states further east in some ways. You think the Texas cities are practically no different than Atlanta, Charlotte? There was a livestock stampede through downtown Dallas for goodness sake.

downtown dallas stampede 026 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/leia/61301842/ - broken link) by Leia (http://www.flickr.com/people/leia/ - broken link), on Flickr

Quote:
I'm always quite amused when I hear some people on here pointing out how they see a lot of cowboy/western wear out here in Texas, when I've been a Houstonian for decades and I rarely see anyone walking around in that stuff.
Again, I enjoy both Dallas and Houston, but I'm not really understanding why some of these characteristics are being downplayed here, but spin the topic/context and they'll be celebrated as 'unique' in a different thread. The Western influence is still alive and well in those cities, I've witnessed it myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City