U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2012, 08:33 AM

120 posts, read 170,543 times

Advertisements

Southern Florida =/= South (although northern and central FL should likely be considered the South)

Texas =/= South (it is Southwest. I would include east Texas as Southwest although it certainly shares characteristics with its neighbors to the east (not something really to be proud of))

Maryland =/= South (although below the M-D line)

Spend

Old 02-08-2012, 09:39 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,336,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slevin Kelevra View Post
Southern Florida =/= South (although northern and central FL should likely be considered the South)

Texas =/= South (it is Southwest. I would include east Texas as Southwest although it certainly shares characteristics with its neighbors to the east (not something really to be proud of))

Spend
No, sir.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:52 AM

15,989 posts, read 29,815,821 times
Quote:

Spend
Don't people get tired of this "what is southern?" argument??

Old 02-08-2012, 12:21 PM

10,167 posts, read 16,658,010 times
Quote:
Texas =/= South (it is Southwest. I would include east Texas as Southwest.
You would, huh? As in what does the general history/culture of Texas (especially East Texas), have in common with the interior SW states like New Mexico and Arizona (which did not even become states until the early
20th century. Is is accents, politics, religion, settlement patterns, shared commonalities of history (i.e. Confederacy, Reconstruction, etc)?

Quote:
although it certainly shares characteristics with its neighbors to the east
Yep, it is "western South as compared to "eastern South." Although most of East Texas is the latter.

Quote:
(not something really to be proud of))
Ahhhhh, another South-bashing post....

Old 02-08-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Don't people get tired of this "what is southern?" argument??
Yes. Next Question! LOL

Old 02-08-2012, 12:26 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,336,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Yep, it is "western South as compared to "eastern South." Although most of East Texas is the latter
Except that, despite East Texas, Louisiana, and much of Arkansas having more in common with the southeast than points west, I still consider them the western south, as in simply being west of the Mississippi.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Except that, despite East Texas, Louisiana, and much of Arkansas having more in common with the southeast than points west, I still consider them the western south, as in simply being west of the Mississippi.
I gotta quibble with you a little bit on this one, Nairobi. But...qualifying with that you and I pretty much agree on the main issue, and always have.

Anyway, I guess it depends on how one defines "western South". I tend to go with the definition of Raymond Gastil in his classic work "Cultural Regions of the United States." He divided the South into two main sub-regions. One was the "Eastern." This one -- in terms of where the "southeast" began -- could pretty much followed a Tulsa, Oklahoma to Tyler, Texas, line -- on a north/south axis -- and included the rest of the Old Confederate and border states like Kentucky, and West Virginia, and even parts of Missouri.

In turn, this "Eastern South" was further divided into "Upland" and "Lowland". Upland can be described as the mountain areas (most of Arkansas, Tennessee, Virginia, and North Carolina, and Kentucky, etc). And the "Lowland" being the more coastal areas and what is generally thought of as being the "Deep South" and the old "Cotton Belt." (which includes true East Texas).

The "Western" South? That one included most of Texas and Oklahoma, and its main traits were (and distinguished from the "Eastern), mostly post-bellum settlement and a different way of life, so to speak, on the western frontier, that differed noteably, from the ante-bellum South. In a nutshell, it was the essential South blended with traits of the frontier West. Thus, the "western South."

Was it "Southern"? Absolutely! It was migrating eastern Southerners who made the "western South." They made their way and changed their lifestyles somewhat in order to make a living....but they still carried along the basic attitudes and history and culture of the South. It is still evident.

This is a point that Gastil wanted to make (and I fully agree with). The "western South" (although it was the 19th century Southwest), is NOT the same as the "desert/interior" Southwest of New Mexico and Arizona. This is a blurred point that, unfortunately, some don't seem to get. That is, put another way, the "western South" is totally different from the "southern West". They are not the same "Southwests'...

But to come back the full circle, I see your point and would agree on some levels. But I guess our parting of ways as to how to define the "western" vs. "eastern" South, sorta comes down to I think of the former as Southern with frontier western flavor and history. And to be honest, I don't see any of that in Louisiana at all. Some of Arkansas...? Yeah, maybe so.

To put all four states -- Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana and Arkansas -- in a catagory all their own (or coorelated?), as "South Central"? I could easily agree with that as a co-existing catagory!

Well, I rambled on longer than I intended (as I often do!), but just wanted to mention this and reinterate that we agree on just about all when it comes to the main points of the subject itself.

Last edited by TexasReb; 02-08-2012 at 05:55 PM..

Old 02-08-2012, 05:50 PM

2,759 posts, read 6,443,729 times
Well I wouldn't call Louisiana the western south; however, I don't really think it's in the southeast either. I have never heard anyone around here say southeast this or southeast that unless they were referring to say, the southeast coast. We always say south or sometimes deep south but not southeast.

Using the Mississippi River as the dividing line between what is east and west which we often do, how can you call a state west of the Mississippi east anything (unless maybe you are from California)?

Old 02-08-2012, 07:29 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,860,010 times
Quote:
The only city that might (*might = stretching) qualify is Jacksonville. The rest of Florida are nowhere close to being the south, esp Central Florida (speaking on Orlando Metro in which during most of the year is primarily spanish speaking/spanglish, whether through tourism or from the locals).

Old 02-08-2012, 07:35 PM

27,786 posts, read 24,814,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
The only city that might (*might = stretching) qualify is Jacksonville.
You've obviously never been to Jacksonville is you think it only "might" qualify as Southern, lol. Jacksonville is culturally Southern through and through, no question about it whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.